911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Exhaust Removal Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Removal Question?

I am joining the ranks and will install my zork tube type exhaust system.

i purchased that e-bay straight pipe w/ a factory exit. it turned out to be a very nice piece and i am looking forward to the mayhem!

i wanted to ask what is needed to remove my b and b system...

will i need to remove the rear lower valence?

what size wrenches and sizes will i need?

i know this is a simple r and r but i just want to know what i need for tools and time?

thank you.

pcb
Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probablly do it without removing the rear bumper, but it is a whole lot easier with it off. While you have the bumper off, buy a couple of two wire water proof connectors and splice them into the two tag light wires right at the shock mounts for the bumper. Once you do that, removing the bumper is a fifteen minute job. Also sometimes a Zork tube will hit the rear valance and a mod will have to be made to it. In that case having it off will make it a lot easier to change.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Pete...

I'll tell you what's needed in exchange for an eveing with the BB!

Seriously though .. pretty simple exchange..

"i wanted to ask what is needed to remove my b and b system... Assume by system you mean just the muffler since your speaking of installing Zork.

will i need to remove the rear lower valence? No, just remove the whole rear bumper.. easier!

what size wrenches and sizes will i need?"

7 or 8mm for bumper bellows

17 & 19mm sockets for the 4 bumper bolts after you undo the impact strip at the side closest to the bumper gaurds. You'll need to remove the small round cover (if its there) and use a small phillips screwdriver for bumper impact strip

You'll also need the phillips head to remove the tag lights from the bumper gaurds to unhook the wires and push through to the back side.

Not sure what kind of muffler strap was used to hold-up/support the B&B so this could be bolts or allen heads... if bolts probably 17 or 19mm.. allen head.. uuhh I forget what size.

17 & 19mm sockets & wrenches for the nuts & bolts securing the muffler to the turbo.

You should spray the hardware on the turbo, the phillips heads, and the little bumper bellows nuts with some kind liquid wrench to help loosen them -up. Go slow on the bumper bellows nuts as those little suckers will snap.

Good luck and have fun!!

Paul
Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Test fit it with the easy to get to bolts first. You can get to all but one bolt easily with the valance off and the bumper on. I think it may be even easier to remove the whole thing. My zork tube- tried installing with the bumper on hits the lower valance by 1/8th of an inch. The previous owner welded the angle adjustment on mine so I now have to either cut my spare valance to fit or grind the welds so I can use the angle adjustment.. I'll be in the garage this weekend- I'll check the sizes and if I can take a pic or two for you...

Peter - still have not heard back from the Tesstorsa owner so I does not look like the purchase is going to happen. I'll call you when things calm down. I would love to pick your brain prior to buying the high mirror beast- Regards, Mike
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Paul beat me to the sizes- I must type too slow....
Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Mike...
sounds like 85 - 86 TR, think they went to dual hight mirrors on 87 TR.. & if I recall, the lower mirrors in 88.. if that's what you're up to, sounds like fun and good luck!

Paul
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
ferraripete
Racer

thank you all for the help. i will try to "git er dun" today!!

high mirors only on the 85 : )

and look forward to speaking mike.

pcb
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Yes its an 85- I have always wanted a TR and thought it would look nice in the garage next to my 85 euro 930. I could then die in piece, or at least die with the knowledge that I was able to spend most of my children's inheridence.. LOL

I know it's not a P car but it is still cool as hell. -here it is

http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/de...?adId=90140006

Mike
Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 PM
ferraripete
Racer

well...i did it. had to take the entire rear bumper off as there was one nut on the exhaust flange that was not acessable w/ the bumper on.

after a drive, my comments...

what the hell did i do all this work for? now i have a 450 hp ticket to the big house!!! how do you all use these things? how do your neighbors react? have you been ticketed?

comments guys?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Jitters
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
what the hell did i do all this work for? now i have a 450 hp ticket to the big house!!! how do you all use these things? how do your neighbors react? have you been ticketed?

comments guys?
ROFLMAO...

Jitters
Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a lot quieter with the windows up...
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
It's a lot quieter with the windows up...
those were my exact words after returning from my second drive up and down the road.

prior to the second drive i was trying to convince myself that may it would be a little more quiet the second time around...lol!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Pete...did you do a search under my username? I have a Picture Tutorial that I posted to help out with this exact modification. The bumper needs to come off, I can pull a bumper in 10-15minutes at most...and you can balance it on your new as you remove it also the rear valance too. Need more pics I can post them on here.

Its easy! Trust me on that!

Yasin
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ferraripete
well...i did it. had to take the entire rear bumper off as there was one nut on the exhaust flange that was not acessable w/ the bumper on.

after a drive, my comments...

comments guys?
Remember- big brother's watching, but the sound is worth it. have fun. Reminds me of something that happened to me last night- I'll post it.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Pete...did you do a search under my username? I have a Picture Tutorial that I posted to help out with this exact modification. The bumper needs to come off, I can pull a bumper in 10-15minutes at most...and you can balance it on your new as you remove it also the rear valance too. Need more pics I can post them on here.

Its easy! Trust me on that!

Yasin
yasin,

if you please, post the link...i would very much appreciate that. i ended up taking off the entire rear bumper, rubber bellows, lower valence, heat shield, and lower rear fender flair extension wings.

i thought that would all be required as the bumper bellows did not seem to come off unless completely disassembled...took longer than anticipated!!!

pcb

Quick Reply: Exhaust Removal Question?