Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Exhaust Removal Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys, thanks for the nice comments on the car..

I specifically sought out something other than red in an F-car, previously owned a couple of Mondial cabs, one red.. one silver (argento)... the silver car looked so much better/different.. just because of color!

Jitters: Absolutely correct about the understated elegance.. in the garage together, the F-car is sexy and elegant, the 930 is the Brute.

ferraripete: You are spot with your comments as the TRs etc being the Big Boys and with the advice not to purchase just based on the low price. Service on these cars is paramount... many of thes cars have low mileage becuase the previous owners kept the mileage down for fear of paying for the service. They passed to the next owner who also drove them little anfd did no service... now the next guy that shows up for the low milage great price will pay the sevice or suffer the consequences of not doing so.. buy the time you're done.. you could have paid more for a better car that had all of the proper services completed.

As stated, a major on a TR is roughly $7.5-$10K dependant upon the needs area of the country and dealer/independant prices.. regardless, it's an engine out service and there is always something beyond that's needed.

Funny that you mention the "little respect" issue for the 308s.. I agree with you completely that many are fooled by the writers or what they've been told..as the 308s being gutlless. They are not stop light racers.. they are geared for the highway and they really get on-plane in third gear and make power all through the rev range.
I have surpised many a ricer and lots of Porsche guys once we get on the highway or through the twisty back roads... the thing handles like a go cart and mine is not stock. It has modded euro-spec cams, and euro exhaust with no cats.. will probably add crank fire ignition at some point but that won't happen until after the 930 is back on the road (spring). Gotta pick your battles!

Oh, and the color is Grigio metallic/tan interior with grey piping... I have added the euro front bumper as well.. have to change out the foglights this year to the proper Cibies. The car was ordered new with foglights and they are on factory mounts and use a factory toggle.. but the lights are Bosch.. maybe changed out at some point.

Last edited by onboost; 11-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmmmm, Interesting timing of this thread and my post!! I just received a call from a friend with a TR.. says he's shipping his TR to Jersey for service just after the 1st. For what kind of service I asked?.. "a major with belt, mine broke" late last week he says!!!

Says he was going about 25mph near his house heard a pop and some other noise and the car began to run rough! I asked if he turned it off quickly.. he says that he limped it home and he could tell it was only running on half the engine!!! (dumb-dumb.. is thinking of modern V12s where the computer will sense an engine problem and shut down one bank and allow you to get home in "limp home" mode..I know BMW and MB both feature this.. it ain't on a TR!)

I asked what shop.. he couldn't tell me..something that a friend of a friend recommended.. I asked what was the quote and he stated $7- $10K.. ! I told him that this was just for a major and had nothing to do with the associated repairs of a broken timing belt... he argued with me about, suggested that my thoughts were based on pricing in this area.

He's kind-of-a wanna-be car guy and truly doesn't know... he traded a 91 964 Turbo for this early Euro TR and the FLA dealer eagerly did the deal. To the dealers credit, the car had a good service history and they even provided access to the previous owner who traded the TR & a 308 for a new 360 Cabrio. The deal went down in 04 and he's been driving it since, no idea what kind of miles he's put-on, how hard he runs it, or what the belt interval is for the TR...

This is going to be interesting and I'll keep you guys posted..

Paul
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if he really did belt damage and did in fact limp home as he said...wow!

he will be introduced to a $20k repair!!!!

again, if he rreally did as he said...this is where he get's his cherry broken. his credit card balance is about to sky rocket!!!!

please keep us imformed. oh, btw, my first repair on my boxer was a broken main shaft. it was $20k for the repair. remember, when the engine is out you end up doing other things as well. they all mount up!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:35 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=100048

please read this thread...look to the bottom where i describe my mainshaft repair saga!!!!

it is enough to make you sick!!!!

paul, this may be a process your tr friend will experience to a certain extent. if he takes it to a franchised dealer, he will be looking at $20k plus and about 2-4 months repair time! an independant may save you a dollar ...maybe not!!

wish him well for us and tell him to join ferrari chat dot com. there is a tr section where he can get lots of good advice.

pcb
Old 12-26-2007, 03:04 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
if he really did belt damage and did in fact limp home as he said...wow!

he will be introduced to a $20k repair!!!!

again, if he rreally did as he said...this is where he get's his cherry broken. his credit card balance is about to sky rocket!!!!

please keep us imformed. oh, btw, my first repair on my boxer was a broken main shaft. it was $20k for the repair. remember, when the engine is out you end up doing other things as well. they all mount up!!!
I can feel the pain from here. I will read attentively as the TR search continues. Interesting timing on the F search, a previous seller from - get this- 7 or 8 years ago called me to see if I may be interested in his 330 GT- He had an accident and has destroyed the car from the front to mid fender. The block and head were damaged and he said 1st estimates for the engine were over 100K. WOW. Since they were one off hand builts he cannot locate any parts. He asked me who my fabricator was- I had a nose custom built for my 365 GTB after an accident, and then asked if I would be interested in buying the entire car as is.- Make him an offer.... HUMMMMM?

Keep us posted, I would love to hear about the end result.- or the end $$$$

Cheers Mike

Quick Reply: Exhaust Removal Question?