911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need A Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need A Clutch

Put headers & Zork on my 930. You guys were right, the headers made a HUGE difference in the power on my car...especially since I had all the other mods. The car is seeing 1bar all day long now!!!

Anyway, I just found out that my clutch does not like HP as much as I do. The clutch is slipping badly under a load in 3rd & 4th and it is doing it sometimes in second...always under a full load/full boost.

Where do I need to look for a new clutch? Any suggestions? How much $$$ should I expect to spend?

Thanks again...

Cajun
Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Early911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A popular source of clutches for high HP cars:

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

-Mark
Old 11-29-2007, 03:26 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Patrick Motorsport.

Last edited by 911addict; 11-29-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there done that. Bolt on all these goodies and get the power just where you want it...then damned if the clutch can't handle it. I've had to feather the throttle slightly in order to run full boost without slipping, which takes a lot of the turbo rush out of the whole experience. That's why she's in the garage as we speak, sitting about 30 inches in the air right now, waiting for me to pull the motor and put in the Kennedy PP.
When the snow's gone next spring....look out!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTDT. I have a KEP stage 2 PP and their disc. The stage 2 is the same price as a stage 1, so I figured why not.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

I am having the same prob keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how it holds up as well as price. thanx
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

^^^Will do. I will be researching what is out there this weekend...

By the same token, if you come across anything, please let me know too!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
hchan911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black930
I am having the same prob keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how it holds up as well as price. thanx
+2
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Update:

My mechanic has recommended the Porsche replacement. I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but it is the same clutch Porsche originally put in the car.

I am going to be doing some research this weekend...I am interested in finding out what my aftermarket options are. My plan is to continue to mod the car, so I don't want to have to worry about a clutch again anytime soon.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cajun
Update:

My mechanic has recommended the Porsche replacement. I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but it is the same clutch Porsche originally put in the car.

Whoa - there's a performance minded guy. In your research, you'll find more options. I think the Porsche pressure plate is a Sachs, which you can buy in the after-market at about 2/3 the price if you want to stick with (near) OEM. Or look at a KEP unit for less than half the price and equally effective.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 PM
930targa
Intermediate

you can get a sachs club sport clutch i think, im not sure they make it for the 930 but i know they make it for the 951 ... or a SPEC clutch ..
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

I deff will i have everyone i know trying to work on this issue but they come up with options that r not good for the street. I am currently waiting to hear back from some cluth guys if anything positive i will be sure to get you guys the info as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by 930targa
you can get a sachs club sport clutch i think, im not sure they make it for the 930 but i know they make it for the 951 ... or a SPEC clutch ..
Regarding SPEC... I had shared with Cajun some brief clutch thoughts in my reply to him in his "Zork" thread earlier today with:

"Good luck on your clutch saga. Only feedback I can provide is to beware SPEC. They make fine clutches - when they send you the right one. Had some pretty ****ty customer service with them and my former //S6. And they went as far as using an OE pressure plate and scraping off the @#$%^ OE serial numbers!!!"

Seriously the worst customer service I've yet to experience. They sent me the wrong unit then were VERY reluctant to swap it for the right one, and even then there's the "serial number" issue I mentioned. WTF? Cost me ~ $500 labor for an extra trans R&R when we found the unit they initially sent me wouldn't disengage. F'd up stuff.

Least the clutch that I finally got WAS in fact pretty decent. I went with a Stage 2.5, carbon / kevlar. Took ***all of*** ~ 11k to break the sucker in though. VERY grabby until then, chattery. Once it did it grabbed like a drunken prom date, very nice.

I'm currently running a center-sprung OE unit in the 930, it feels great. Not sure how it'd handle big power though - others here waaaaaaay more able to opine there.

Good luck!

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 AM
Jitters
Racer

Hey Cajun,

Just had my clutch replaced in mine. Didn't want to go with stock Sachs setup due to the mods on my buggy. So I went with KEP's stage II kit. Actually met Mr. Kennedy himself, very nice man. The shop is located in the Palmdale/Lancaster area of southern Cali. Roughly spent just over a grand for the complete kit, Clutch Disc, PP and bearing. Works great. I also opted to replace the flywheel with a Fidanza lightened unit, again works great. Totaly satisfied with the entire upgrade.

Good luck with your decision.

Jitters
Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Been there done that. Bolt on all these goodies and get the power just where you want it...then damned if the clutch can't handle it. I've had to feather the throttle slightly in order to run full boost without slipping, which takes a lot of the turbo rush out of the whole experience. That's why she's in the garage as we speak, sitting about 30 inches in the air right now, waiting for me to pull the motor and put in the Kennedy PP.
When the snow's gone next spring....look out!
Hey Mark,

Sorry to here about the PCAR...Just went through the same ordeal myself...and now I've got these new issues. BTW, did you ever get an opportunity to email that information?

Jitters

Quick Reply: Need A Clutch