Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need A Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Yeah, Sachs is what he mentioned...

Jitters, I will give them a call this week. Thanks for the lead..
Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Addicted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in a Kennedy as well. Great clutch so far and feels good. It was actually cheaper than the Sachs setup as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by Cajun
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Yeah, Sachs is what he mentioned...

Jitters, I will give them a call this week. Thanks for the lead..
Hey Cajun,

No problem. After researching my options, Stock, Center Force, and Kennedy along with feedback from Nathan and a few other knowledgable gentleman, I opted to go with Kennedy.

To date the kit has perfomed flawlessly. There is no slippage of anykind; additionally, there is no noise either. I've heard stories of guys upgrading to high performance kits and they've experience chatter with some of the other kits...

Good luck and love the PCAR. BTW, what part of LA are you from?

Jitters
Old 12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuse box diagram scan is on the way. Hope it helps. BTW, how do you like the Kennedy Spec II PP? That's what I'll be installing this winter. I hope it's not too stiff and hard to modulate for normal street driving. If so, I'll just have to live with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

Default Replacement clutch

I can say that the Kennedy unit is the only answer! The problem with the factory Sachs unit is the pressure plate....starts out as 2600 lbs. and immediately starts to loose clamping pressure. I have over 72000 miles on my 3200 lb Kennedy...good as the day it was installed. The Sachs disc is just fine...that is what Kennedy supplies with their assembly. Just listen to the guys at Kennedy...they will supply the right stuff. Be sure you have the flywheel resurfaced right by someone who knows what they are looking at...better yet..a new flywheel...and for sure a new throw out bearing and new bolts all the way. STAY AWAY from the Centerline crap...revamped Centerline stuff...kevlar discs etc....unless you want more tears.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I will go with the kennedy stage 1 and a stock spring centre disc.

Jitters, what does the stage 2 hold in tq?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I will go with the kennedy stage 1 and a stock spring centre disc.

Jitters, what does the stage 2 hold in tq?
Hey Nathan, from my understanding the tq capacity for KEP PP's are as follows:

Stage I = 500
Stage II = 600
Stage III = 700

Again, I went with the Stage II PP and Racing Disc and my PCAR is nowhere near 600ft. lbs of torque. Currently im at approximately 400 RWHP and 400ft lbs of Torque...

Caio,

Jitters
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That is what I concluded from looking at their website. Stage 1 is good enough for me
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Fuse box diagram scan is on the way. Hope it helps. BTW, how do you like the Kennedy Spec II PP? That's what I'll be installing this winter. I hope it's not too stiff and hard to modulate for normal street driving. If so, I'll just have to live with it.
Hey Mark,

I recieved the diagram. Thanks a million. Regarding the KEP Clutch Kit, well, it is a bit stiff but I've gotten use to it...My friends complain about how hard the pedal is compared to their 996 and 997's. Oh well. I have no problem with it. It can get a little tiring in bumper to bumper traffic. But I don't drive it to work that often for it to be a big deal....

Jitters
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jitters
Hey Cajun,

No problem. After researching my options, Stock, Center Force, and Kennedy along with feedback from Nathan and a few other knowledgable gentleman, I opted to go with Kennedy.

To date the kit has perfomed flawlessly. There is no slippage of anykind; additionally, there is no noise either. I've heard stories of guys upgrading to high performance kits and they've experience chatter with some of the other kits...

Good luck and love the PCAR. BTW, what part of LA are you from?

Jitters
I am currently in Alexandria, LA...moving down to Lafayette in January...
Old 12-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Sounds like Kennedy is the overwhelming favorite.

Thanks again for the tips guys...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a SPEC modified Sachs PP in my car and a SPEC clutch disk (spring centered, but no cushion springs). The disk is an interesting all-metal surface (full circumference, not a puck type). I think they call it ferramic. It's heavy, but has a very high coefficient of friction. The clutch works very well in my EFI 930 track car. It's a bit chattery getting started if I'm not careful (but I can avoid the chatter with certain techniques). Once underway, it's crisp and solid, with modest pedal effort, and holds all the torque I can throw at it. My engine produces 618 ft-lb (622 hp) with one of its maps and the clutch handles it fine. Contrary to one person's response, I had excellent service from SPEC, with good advice, quick turnaround, and no disappointments. And it was very inexpensive -- I think the whole job (the modification of my PP and the new disk) cost a total of $350.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are making any where near 400 rwhp or plan on it one day, you need to get a KEP stage one or two set up (or similar). I rebuilt my engine with a new stock early disc and stock PP and after the engine was broken in, it started to slip. Might as well do it once or have the parts in now for later.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

Default Kennedy clutch

You will be a happy guy with the 3200 lb Kennedy.....no need for the 3600 lb unless you are well over 400 hp at the flywheel. I paid a lot of attention to the flywheel...I put in a new unit because mine had been surfaced at least twice and had over 100,000 miles on it. Common sense says that..on a street car... these hybrid pressure plates...kevlar discs....935 plates and discs etc are no good...but 930 owners are just intent on "performance upgrades" ( I love those two words) until they performance upgrade their car to a dead stop....forever. There is a guy I know of that spent a fortune on a 89 930...he just knew he was making well over 450 at the flywheel.....until he ran into a stock C6Corvette....with a automatic..yet. Could not take the vette from a dead stop...from 40..or 60...or 80 or nothing. Guess he isn't looking for any Vipers etc. Talk about a trail of tears. Talk about more money than brains!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a sad story but its a lesson to be learned. hope he learned his.lol

Quick Reply: Need A Clutch