Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What Are My Chances???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Just watched the videos- he couldn't tune a fish.

My wife's Z is way faster than his. He is bouncing off the boost and his timing seems off.

Mike
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 930 does 1/4 in 13.1 with a stock engine. My car only weighs 1225KG though with very little fuel in it. 285's on the rear & a G50/01 with LSD.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah930
Perhaps, then, you should also learn to spell the word connoisseur.

You didn't specify, but I take it the Z guy wants a drag race. You can tell him about the differences in vintage and purpose: that the 930 was built 20-30 years ago and his is a modern car; that the 930 was meant to go fast, but also left and right on a roadcourse, while he's building his car to be a drag racer. But he'll just take all those as excuses for you not wanting to get embarrassed. So, to shut him up (if it really bothers you that much), you'll have to race him. Just make sure you do it at the local dragstrip. While you may (or may not) be able to control your car in a race-type application, you can't control the other guy, nor other traffic/pedestrians/animals/etc. There was an article in the LA Times this past week about the police finally catching some guy who killed a Mom and child last month in a street race.
You are right! I need to learn how to spell connoisseur...However, in my defense, I should get a pass...A guy in my office just hired a HOT little college freshman and right when I was typing that message, he introduced her and her mini-skirt... Forgive me bro?????
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

UPDATE:

Last night there were some "friendly" contests between the Z & the NSX, and a couple of highly modded hondas, and an EVO... Long story short, the Z got a tune & its issues were ironed out...it walked the NSX by about 2 car lengths...

It seems that the strongest car that ran was a built '06 Evo. He was a friend of the Z guy, and he walked the Z... My friend's highly modded Supra was having clutch issues so he did not put the EVO in its place (ie he did not run)...

I got a good look at the Z and it is an automatic...I also overheard him say that the engine is NOT built. I think he bought a kit, had it slapped on, and then tuned the car...

I have decided that if I am going to follow these guys to tracks and drag race, I am going to buy a 90s Mustang for CHEAP and beat the hell out of it. I don't like racing the 930, although after I get my headers next week, I am going to have the car tuned and have a friendly roll-on with this guy....

PS - I will be sure to post up my dyno numbers after the headers are on & the car is tuned...
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YYC930
You need cams.
Talk to me. EDUCATE me.

What do you suggest???
Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

A nice SC grind should do the trick. Call IA in Kansas City.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Gandara
Pro

Originally Posted by Cajun
You are right! I need to learn how to spell connoisseur...However, in my defense, I should get a pass...A guy in my office just hired a HOT little college freshman and right when I was typing that message, he introduced her and her mini-skirt... Forgive me bro?????
ROFL

Show me pics of your car please?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gandara
ROFL

Show me pics of your car please?
I don't have any photos on this computer, but I just called a friend who is also a member here (Greg Z) and he will be here shortly to post a few pics of my car...

My car is a '88 blk/blk with RUF wheels. Stay tuned...
Old 11-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bogey1
A nice SC grind should do the trick. Call IA in Kansas City.
Thanks. I will give them a call sometime. I called up there last month about a K27HFS, but I never asked them about cams...
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Greg Z
Instructor

Here is a couple of shots of Cajun's 930.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:48 PM
DDD
Pro

You can take him if you stay in second gear and hit the gas as it gets into the boost and shift into third at redline and keep going. No way he keeps up, IMO.

It helps to take the spare tire out of your car and run it at about a quarter tank of gas. Spray out all your window washer fluid and remove your rear seat tops. That will make a noticeable difference. You will save almost 150 pounds if you do all the above compared to having a full tank of gas.

What I would do is find a windy road out in the middle of nowhere and get to know the road and take him out on it. I bet you are a better driver than anybody that would consider an automatic. Get your car set up so it handles just right, and outdrive the guy.

Then you can make fun of HIS drivings skills, not just the car.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM
ferraripete
Racer

that is a hot looking car!

the ruf wheels and the tinted windows (btw...tinted windows are not usually my thing but i must admit that they look killer!!!) really make the car look the business!!!!!!!!

myles, wait to run this guy...get the headers and the hfs mounted. do not do it until then as you know that you want the security of a certain win. the car will be bloody quick with those mods!!!

the car is sexy as hell though!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM
ferraripete
Racer

oh...do NOT attempt to try to clean out your old oil supply line before re-using it for the new turbo.

you MUST get a new oil supply line...PERIOD!!!!!!

it will prevent probable heart burn...trust me!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
Depends. Any pics of the new employee?

Beautiful car, BTW. I've always loved the look of the RUF wheels.

Fat chance you'll be able to get the Z to race on anything other than a straight line. The guy will create all sorts of excuses why he can't/won't. But if you can sucker him into that, it won't even be a contest.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
My 930 does 1/4 in 13.1 with a stock engine. My car only weighs 1225KG though with very little fuel in it. 285's on the rear & a G50/01 with LSD.
You are right Nathan- it should have been alittle faster but mine is an 85 with a 4spd, I took it easy between gears, had an almost full tank of gas and a passenger- my Daughter is also a little Porsche adict. It was a fun run... so shave a few tenths and we are right on.

Quick Reply: What Are My Chances???