911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What Are My Chances???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Are My Chances???

I have not seen one of these threads in a while, nor have I felt the need to post one of them until now.

There is this pr*ck running around in a turbo 350Z. Word is that he is putting down 400hp down to the wheels, and he won't stop running his yap.

My 930 has a 1bar spring, K&N intake, B&B exhaust, GHL headers (on the way & will be on the car when I meet up with this azz), K27 7006 (upgrading soon), B&B or Andial (can't recall right now) IC, and Andial Fuel Enrichment...

What do you guys think? Do I have enough to shut him up? I think I do...He saw my car on a trailer about two months ago (I was attempting to support a local charity that was holding a car show, and even though my car was broken, I brought it out) and he has been running his mouth & ******* ME & my 930 out ever since. I am tired of his crap. I know that his car weighs roughly 500lbs more than mine does...

Any predictions???

Any advice? And please, none of this "turn the other cheek" crap. It is almost worth going EFI just to bury this **** Roach...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get an HFS fitted before you go for it.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I think with him having 400 at the wheels, you should be able to give him a run. Watch out he is not baiting you. 400 at the wheels is a low figure for a turboed 350z. If it is a twin turbo kit be carefull, those cars can put down 500-600rwhp and that will whip your butt.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're running almost exactly the mods I've done (minus the headers, and I'm running a Fabspeed single outlet muffler). With my adjustable boost, I've been known to dial it up to 1.1 bar for short spirited drives, but generally keep it at 1.0.
Personally, I think you can give this braggart a strong run for his money. 400 hp....I don't think you (or I) am running quite that strong (maybe 370 on a cold morning), but with the weight difference it may make you the winner. My car goes like a bat out of hell, and I enjoy it regardless of the challenge from others.
If you decide to race, do it safely on a track...please. Drag racing is a blast, but extremely dangerous blasting along side-by-side in the tripple digits.
Oh, and by the way....if you lose even by a couple inches, ask the dude if his car would even come that close to winning such a race 20 years from now.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Smoke that Buzzard...!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
ayglass
Advanced

Just wait until he blows the engine or transmission, then offer to run him. Every time I get the "I've got this friend with an 800 HP Supra story" I find out that it's either not currently running, can't be driven on pump gas so he doesn't drive it much, or that his "friend" is in another state. I enjoy replying "that's a shame, mine's in the parking lot right now" ;-)

The psychology goes like this: Every boy racer wants to prove that his car is "as fast as a Turbo". They talk it up, they add loud pipes, etc. If they manage to get ahead even for a moment in their race of choice they get to brag about the car that they got rather than the car they would have "if only". The bottom line is: my car *is* a Turbo and I get to drive it any day I want. I've got something to lose racing a loud mouth and nothing to gain. What am I going to say down at the coffee shop? "I raced a 350Z with my Turbo and I won"...? Duh. People who have been in my car wouldn't surprised and people who see it in the parking lot assume a Porsche can beat most anything.

I would say that he's already lost...He's just trying to save face.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him your not interested....
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him you cant be bothered and your saving him the embaressment. then you will really get him goin.lol. trust me you not racing him will drive him crazy.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBrown
I think with him having 400 at the wheels, you should be able to give him a run. Watch out he is not baiting you. 400 at the wheels is a low figure for a turboed 350z. If it is a twin turbo kit be carefull, those cars can put down 500-600rwhp and that will whip your butt.
He is not baiting me. I saw the car on a dyno a couple of months ago and he put down 343 to the wheels. I know he sent it away for a tune, and the RUMOR is that he is now at 403 to the wheels.

The motor is not built, but he has turned up the boost. This will be interesting. BTW, here is his car on the dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrRr1ntyvGo

For the record, I am not actively looking for this guy, but if he sees me out and the opportunity presents itself, I am definitely out to embarass him.

Oh, one more thing...He could not beat my friend's NSX yesterday and I WALKED this NSX in a friendly race earlier this year, and I was running STOCK headers when I did it.... Here is the vid of the race between the 350 in question, and my friends very stout NSX...The owner of the 350 claims he was overboosting and as a result, his fuel was electronically cut and that is why he did not spank my buddy....You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sjlnw3ykJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pVJQj2eWg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P29RhqNl2k
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onboost
Smoke that Buzzard...!
THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get him to bring it to a road course...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 PM
SEW QUIK
Intermediate

Make sure either you have a cash money bet or (better) a planned humilation...i.e. he has to wear a fluffly dress for a week if he loses (with a feature on youtube...)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow...are we turning into the 928 Forum?

Does it really matter at the end of the day? There are plenty of modern cars that would walk away from the 930, even new 4cylinder Turbo cars straight from the showroom wth warranty! Yesterday's championship boxer always have a hard time running in the ring with the new younger athletes.

I love to talk smack back to guys who are like this 350Z Turbo owner, but you have to do it such a manner to shut them up. Good old fashioned bench racing has existed since the day the internal combustion engine was invented.

As a fun run go for it...but if you loose don't take it personally...the 930 is now going on 30+year technology....if you do win...good on you.

The VQ35 engine in the 350Z have been very prone to failure in turbo applications at around 400whp unless it has a really built bottom end - I am talking big $$$ in this case (forged this and that), bolting a turbo, intercooler and a piggy back or even full EFI with a stock bottom end yields a very fast car but you have to watch your cylinder head temps and detonation.

Yasin
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Slownrusty,

I understand your point. Let me clarify something...at the end of the day, I DO NOT care whether my car is slower or not...but on the other hand, it would be nice to know that it is faster despite the age and technology gap.

Having said that, I am a younger guy...I could have bought many of the cars that people perceive as faster than the 930, but I chose the 930 because I fancy myself a conniseur... Quite frankly, I have yet to run into another car off the showroom short of a C6Z06, Viper, or another Porsche that is "faster" than my car.

The only reason I am even entertaining this match up is because this guy needs a first hand history lesson.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask him what Nissan was making 25 years ago that was better than your 930.

This is the type of thing that you just have to win. Forget doing the "mature" thing, that just ain't fun.

Quick Reply: What Are My Chances???