911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Best possible upgrad for 4spd Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
InC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nathan for the note.

I am quite sure its the synchromesh, anyhow it's never too soon to change the oil.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As a counterpoint to some of the discussion here:

Maybe I'm just too old-school here, but I have never had a problem with the feel or precision of the Porsche shifter or with the internals being too slow. I've never felt the need for a short shifter or a special shifter. In fact, none of the short shifters I've tried have ever felt quite right to me. I've only driven one car with the Wevo (a 915), but I've ridden in others and I've run a couple of Wevo-equipped 930s through the gears while stationary, and I haven't been all that impressed. I guess to each his own, but one side of me is glad that I feel no compulsion to spend $600 to $1000 on special equipment that, for me at least, provides little or no enhancement. I think that some of the glowing reports on the Wevo come from conversions where the owner went from a stock, worn-out linkage to the Wevo. It's been my experience that if the transmission internals are sound, and the shift bushings and wear items in the stock linkage are refreshed (which costs about $20.00 in parts), the transmission shifts plenty fast and linkage feels perfectly crisp and has acceptable throws.

Regarding "making it feel like a G-50," I think that's overblown too. I've driven many a G-50, and frankly, it's different but not any better in my experience. The real benefit of the G-50, of course, is that it has 5 gears. And others have come to this conclusion regarding the feel too -- there have been threads debating this for years on Rennlist and Pelican. But as with the shifter comparison above, you have to compare apples to apples: if you compare a worn-out 930 gearbox with a freshly rebuilt G-50, of course the G-50 is going to feel better. But I would never justify a G-50 swap because of the perception that it feels better -- I'd do it for the extra gear it provides. But that's another can of worms...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Drove my 915'd 911 carrera on the street yesterday in traffic and while trying to go from 2nd to 1st it just wouldn't go in as the tranny was a little cold. I know that I could have 'forced' it in but I didn't want to do that. I have only just rebuilt the tranny and I have no doubt that everything is within spec.
Driving my 930 with it's G50/01 tthis has never ever happened. I'm wondering if the 915 may loosen up but my thoughts are that when it does it means the dogs will probably grind
Food for thought.

I enjoy the less movement of the shifter with my factory short shift kit in my 911.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

As for the oil I think it is better to change it often to remove swarf as the tranny does not have a filter built inside it. The magnet does not work as well as you would hope, I could see my oil glistening...

What do the additives do to help the LSD or the Synchro's?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 PM
InC
Instructor

the additives are friction modifiers. If I am not wrong, they either help the synchro or the LSD. Meaning to say if you have one that helps the synchro, chances are you will hear more grinding sound from the lsd when making slow sharp turns as the LSD tends to lock up more..
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

My LSD makes the noise.

Does it matter about the noise? Does it cause any harm or accelerate wear?
I am not aware that it does so you may as well go with the synchro stuff.

Quick Reply: Best possible upgrad for 4spd Gearbox