Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How to clean H4 lenses? Inside somewhat fogged...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to clean H4 lenses? Inside somewhat fogged...

Morning-

Me newly acquired '87 930 has H4s that are fogged up on the inside, not condensation, almost looks like haze and it's in some sort of uber pscychedlic pattern. Almost looks like what a lightbulb can look like inside when it blows, but it's not that bad or dramatic.

Doesn't seem to adversely affect light output as both lows / highs seem decent - tho hard to tell comparing to me //S8's xenon's.

Any tips on cleaning them suckers out? Any thoughts on what this haze is?

So what's the story on the H4's anyway? I see many 911 / 930s of this vintage with them horrendously insipid Pep Boys sealed beam looking headlights and it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. Were the H4s introduced in like '86 or something or are the H4 cars retrofitted, or other?

Just querious, always wondered. I always dreamed I'd get a 930 and dreaded the one I'd find would have them train wreck lights and I'd immediately have to bag them. Fortunately I dodged that bullet and found mine with H4's - and imagine my chagrin when I arrived to get it and found sport seats - SCHWING! Tangent... was the sport seat option rare or common?

TIA guys!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:21 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

You can get an idea of what I'm talking about here - not terrible but noticeable, moreso in person (esp. the psychellic "swirl" pattern):

Last edited by pkrasusky; 11-22-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
JFairman
Racer

Well, to start... those aren't H4's.Those are the H5's that came on the USA 87-89 930's.
You can telll by the location of the adjuster screw rubber covers at 9 and 12 o-clock on the H5's
The screws are at 8 and 2 o-clock on H4's and there are no rubber covers.

The H5's look nicer on the car than sugar scoops and sealed beams but aren't much better than standard US sealed beams.
'86 cars didn't have them.

To clean them remove them and slosh around some dawn dish detergent and hot water inside them. Some people put uncooked rice in there to help clean the fog dirt off.
Then repeat with isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol alone might do it.
Then blow out the moisture with compressed air or let them air dry for a day or so.
That'll clear them up...
You'll probably want H4's now too.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

D'oh - well, I never professed to be an expert 8-). My bad, I stand corrected, H5's.

Thanks for the tips, will def. give that whril - not until winter though as I'm commuting with the thing every damn day for now what with this never ending Indian Summer we're having here in CT!

Ah, so <'86 got them infernal "sugar scoops" - got it - and, never heard that nickname before - good one. Such a travisty, those things. Output-wise... the H5's are surprisingly not that offensive. Can these things handle wattage increases and if so to what spec, without harness / relay work?

Also, unrelated but since we're talking bulbs... I've got a set of 50w halogen reverse bulbs laying around. Can I safely run them w/o melting the lens? I ran them in EVERY car I've ever owned w/o issue, but they friggin started to melt the lenses in me //S8 - dammit! So I yanked them. My gut on it is being an automatic the car stays "in reverse" longer than a stick thus the lights got hotter (long story, backing down my driveway in the a.m. waiting for my son to come to window to wave goodbye - I'm blaming him 8-)).

Bueller?

Sounds like your suggestion will work though - thanks again!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
JFairman
Racer

You might be able to get higher wattage bulbs, but there is alot of plastic around the mounting point of them so it would possibly melt from the heat.

You'd really be surprised how much light you're loosing with all that fog on the inside of the lense. It's considered unsafe in Florida where brighter headlights are legal and preferred by law.

I wouldn't waste money trying to make the H5's brighter... just save up for some euro H4's.
I just wish the lightweight H4 frames were as sturdly made as the cast aluminum frame H5's
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
a thompson
Instructor

Pkrasusky, I think in the dyi forums 964 section under changing to silverstars you will find good info on how to clean your lights, the post is from bhensari and has lots of good photos hope this helps.
Andy
Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks so much JFairman and a thompson! Appreciate the thoughts. I'll check that DIY section now.

Wow, FL encourages brighter lights huh? CT SUCKS!

Worst case on the reverse's I guess is that I melt "something" - gee, then I "have" to score some amber indicators darn 8-). I *hate* criminally indistinguishable f'n red indicators!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One improvement you could get is to add headlight relays to the headlight circuit. Porsche's are notorious for their wiring inconsistencies. The amperage that goes through the headlight circuit is way too long (actually goes through the headlight stalk switch). If you search on this site, for "headlight relay", you'll find several references on how owners have switched to this method and actually increased the output of the headlights without switching to higher wattage bulbs. Plus you will have the added benefit of not prematurely wearing out your headlight dimmer switch!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Sounds good, will do thanks Werk-I.

-Paul
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Just an FYI...Make sure your local State inspection station allows H4's..Some states like mine must be DOT certified..If it is glass they must have the triple nipple...Just like the H5's in the picture...I came across this issue...Tried to have them waved since they are simple better than US version...No dice...decided to just get Antique tags instead...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks vascott - turns out I typo'd H4 when I meant H5 so I'm all set.

I yanked them per the suggestions I received here and used glass cleaner on a gigantic Q-tip (gynocological!) and they're 99% perfect now. NOICE - thanks guys! Looks soooooooo much better, and picked up some lost light to boot.

-Paul
Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

I did the same thing with my 930 Scott- antique tags- no inspection and I do not get hassled for not running a front plate either. Put a euro in its place for effect.

Oh and if you decide Paul, I have a spare set of H4s off my "tirewall" 911 on my shelf I could sell you.

Regards, Mike
Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the offer Mike. I'll run my H5's for the time being. Appreciate the offer, regardless.

-Paul
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of H 5's with red rings if anyone needs them for a resto. $100 for the pair.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Originally Posted by notthd
I did the same thing with my 930 Scott- antique tags- no inspection and I do not get hassled for not running a front plate either. Put a euro in its place for effect.

Oh and if you decide Paul, I have a spare set of H4s off my "tirewall" 911 on my shelf I could sell you.

Regards, Mike

Mike,

What year is yours...Nice pic

Quick Reply: How to clean H4 lenses? Inside somewhat fogged...