Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How to clean H4 lenses? Inside somewhat fogged...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

1985 Euro
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good year!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 PM
MTBGUY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there- I was following this thread and have a question for those in the know.
My deal:
I have a 1987 Carrera with H5 lights. I like visually the appearance of how they look but the light output is crappy.

About six months ago I bought H4 lenses, brighter bulbs, and better high output relay from Pelican parts. The headlamps say "Hella Eurpoean Technology" high performance headlamp" 7 inch round H4 on the side of the box. Part number 70476.

I was looking at them yesterday and comparing them to other peoples H4 lights from photos on Rennlist and Pelican forums and they don't even look the same- there is no "extended lip" on the top like my H5s have. Im not talking about the "sugar scoop" but the actual glass part itself. I saw a thread where "Wachuko" put on H4 lights on his car and they said Bosch H4 on them, but looked like my H5s.

I have not purchased the sugar scoops and actually prefer the appearance of the H5 lights. Are there differences in US spec H4 and euro H4? I am really not sure what I need to get to solve this problem now.

I would like them to look like the ones in the photo above (the black 911 owned by NOTTHD). Thats what the current H5s on my car look like now, and I'd like to keep the look but have the H4 light output.

Can anyone shed light on my confusion? Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lights you bought are european code Hella 7" sealed beam replacements.
They use H4 bulbs but they are not the Bosch H4 headlight assemblies made secifically for a 911.
The 911 H4 units are shaped similar and look alot like the H5's you have if you look at them very quickly, but they are very different.
The 911 H4's put out ALOT more light and focus it on the road with a sharp cutoff that angles up on the right side for illuminating road signs or deer while on low beam.

If you like the 7" E code units here's a place that still sells the Cibie versions that are better than the Hella's
http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm

The Bosch H4 is at the top of the page here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...01-800-101-M14
Old 12-26-2007, 02:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JFairman
The lights you bought are european code Hella 7" sealed beam replacements.
They use H4 bulbs but they are not the Bosch H4 headlight assemblies made secifically for a 911.
The 911 H4 units are shaped similar and look alot like the H5's you have if you look at them very quickly, but they are very different.
The 911 H4's put out ALOT more light and focus it on the road with a sharp cutoff that angles up on the right side for illuminating road signs or deer while on low beam.

If you like the 7" E code units here's a place that still sells the Cibie versions that are better than the Hella's
http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm

The Bosch H4 is at the top of the page here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...01-800-101-M14

Absolutely- The H4s output is much higher than the US H5 verson. I do not think Porsche ever had a US H4 version, but could be wrong. The units on my car are the original euro H4s. They do look like the H5s at a quick glance. I had a spare set of H4s but sold them 2 weeks ago.- I'm sure someone here might have a set you could buy from them.- Regards, Mike

Quick Reply: How to clean H4 lenses? Inside somewhat fogged...