Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has anyone here driven a 930 with a sequential shift transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Hello,

I have driven this gearbox for a while, both on the street and the track. It is not exactly what I would recommend for a street car as Olli knows It is quite loud, and this specific box has a tall first gear that can make first gear stoplight launches very embarrasing in the city

It is very fast though, a look at the datalogs shows why nowadays you cannot win a race without a sequential gearbox. The feeling is almost exactly the same as with the 997Cup, only that one has a cable shifter and is a bit smoother.

Franz Konrad has taken this gearbox to Ricardo since he acquired it. When we were together he showed me that I needed to add a spacer on the chain tensioners to be able to shift with the foot to the metal (please don't ask why), however he also confirmed that it can be done without it, but need to be a bit more careful, and I have done it very often, with a very slight throttle lift (maybe a few millimeters) and had no damage whatsoever to my engine.

I am just sharing this for general information, as it is not very often that we amateur drivers can access this sort of unique hardware for our cars.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello to Franz for me because I have seen him in quite a while. We partied together at every race.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas
I returned last night but I would have loved to do that, thank you. I will be attending the same conference next year. So let's hook up then.
Sorry we couldn't connect sooner. Would love to had made the rounds with you.. a number of interesting shops here, good restaurants, and nite-life. Hope to catch you next year .. BTW what confernce were you attending?

- Are you coming east again for the Rennsport Reunion?
- If not I'll catch-up on my next trip to Cali..

Paul
Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas
Hello to Franz for me because I have seen him in quite a while. We partied together at every race.
Tony, will do I will be seeing him at the 24 hours in January. The old man is getting wilder and younger with age!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

On boost, unfortunately, I cannot make it to Rennsport reunion this year because I previously committed to an obstacle course event called the "Muddy Buddy" and cannot get out of that promise, strangely enough. As for your second question, I attended an automotive conference for four days in DC held by the BIMRS group which is a group of about 300 BMW independent shops world wide that has a web forum blog and with our combined collective effort we all can fix these complicated cars with a greater ease. It was very interesting because of the type of classes that were available i.e. an automotive fluids and automotive transducer class taught by the geniuses in our field, both were brilliant by the way. I am assembling a meeting with the guys from the Porsche tech group that I belong to and we should be meeting within a few months. Also, BMW/NA was there and our goal in the BIMRS group was to strengthen the bond between the independents and BMW. I plan on the same with Porsche.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Tony..

Very cool stuff... I have been very busy myself and completely forgot this was being held here. A couple of friends informed me of this conference, they are all BMW independants here locally and memebrs of BIMRS.

Maybe you met Sigy of Sigy's AutoService,.. very vocal guy, Lothar Schuetller, Gary Davis, or I previously worked as a service mgr with several of them at local dealerships. Glad to here BMW/NA is being supportive as I remember a time they were not.

Was not aware that the Porsche independants had the same type of organization, or is that what you/your tech group are forming and looking to garner the same kind of support from Porsche N/A?

Paul
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Paul,

Please send me an email to rennsport@msn.com so we can continue off thread. Siggy OMG, that guy is something else....

Tony
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Tony...

You got mail...

Paul,
Old 10-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli
Yes, I have one in my garage that I bought from a fellow Rennlister, Jean. The gearbox started out as a G50/80 (a 6 speed for 993GT2EVO cars) and was modified to a sequential by GT Ltd which is owned by Ricardo. The bolt pattern is a bit different from the other so GT2 axles (shown in the pics below) are also required. Tony Callas told me that this gearbox had been in the #64 car in 1998 Le Mans race. At the time he worked for Roock racing in Germany.Naturally it's seen a lot of other races as well.

The following picture by courtesy of Callas Rennsport:

Quick Reply: Has anyone here driven a 930 with a sequential shift transmission?