Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has anyone here driven a 930 with a sequential shift transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
I've never driven a 930 with a sequential, but I have driven a GT3 RSR with it for a couple of laps "warming it up" for a test session before the real drivers got in it. Since it isn't turbo'd I don't know what the issues with the boost and everything would be, but it was a slick piece in the NA version. The only other thing I know is it ain't cheap.
Now I could do with a job like that!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by TCallas
The early and even some sequential gearboxes these days do not have the "shift without lift" gear change technology. You are entering into an engine management system issue with the needed ignition cut out feature for this advantage not to forget about the weaknesses in the drive train...Unless of course you have plenty of money to throw at your 930.
Thank you for the comment Tony! Also, I appreciate your time at the time when I called you before I had bought the transmission
Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Sorry Olli,
What I was asking was if a Hewland tranny would cope with a 930 at the strip.

Anyone know?
Oh Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding...

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Olli, I think your tranny would be fine for awhile. Not sure if it is as strong as a 50/50 or 50/52 though.
Given some previous statements on this board in transmission related threads I understand that the 50/52 is regarded as the strongest transmission Porsche ever used. I would be interested to know though how the G50/52 compares to G50/53 (6 speed GT2 for the street) and more specifically to the G50/80 used in the 1998 GT2EVO cars. There are some comments in prior threads about this but they are somewhat ambiguous. Sorry for veering a bit OT here.
I have been told though that as a result of the GT Ltd G50/80 to sequential conversion with all the subsequent Ricardo parts installed, it would no longer be an apples to apples comparison to compare it to the G50/xx transmissions.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I do not want to take any credit here but I pointed Olli in Jean's direction for this transmission, I thought about buying it but already had lots of money tied up in my Patrick Motorsports G50/50, I am glad that someone here bought it more specifically Olli, like Yasin (slownrusty) shares info freely and unabashedly. The components that are in the transmission were spec for LeMans and 24hr races it is super strong and compare even the GT2 axles to the ones we run, they are very beefy pieces. So to answer your question Nathan that tranny is rather STOUT.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Originally Posted by schnele
I do not want to take any credit here but I pointed Olli in Jean's direction for this transmission, I thought about buying it but already had lots of money tied up in my Patrick Motorsports G50/50, I am glad that someone here bought it more specifically Olli, like Yasin (slownrusty) shares info freely and unabashedly. The components that are in the transmission were spec for LeMans and 24hr races it is super strong and compare even the GT2 axles to the ones we run, they are very beefy pieces. So to answer your question Nathan that tranny is rather STOUT.

I also have a G-50/50 trans from Patrick... it has been gone through and has several mods, as it was a spare gearbox for one of the teams that ran the 24... How do you like yours? I could never be happier... even though it was a ton of money.. it was money well spent!!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:02 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I haven't driven the freakin car yet! I am so hot about this I could succumb to spontaneous combustion at any moment.

Last edited by schnele; 10-14-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I feel I have to clarify my statement. I liked this GT racing UK (Ricardo) gearbox very much and recommended (gave my blessing) for Ollie to purchase it. Mike Grampke at Roock did an amazing job making our GT2 Evo's and developed this gearbox with GT, it was way a head of it's time. I am just not recommending that Ollie keep it "pedal to the medal" while shifting and institute shift without lift driving on this car without the other necessary key components.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

When you say GT I take it you mean Paul Guard?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Olli
Racer

Guys, I feel I have to clarify my statement. I liked this GT racing UK (Ricardo) gearbox very much and recommended (gave my blessing) for Ollie to purchase it. Mike Grampke at Roock did an amazing job making our GT2 Evo's and developed this gearbox with GT, it was way a head of it's time. I am just not recommending that Ollie keep it "pedal to the medal" while shifting and institute shift without lift driving on this car without the other necessary key components.
Great to know there is someone (you) who knows this gearbox inside and out and who to turn to when the time comes to install this gearbox in a race project. Thanks again Tony
Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Olli
Racer

Nathan, GT in this context means GT Ltd that is part of the Ricardo organization. Ricardo makes F1 gearboxes and also provides gearboxes for the Bugatti Veyron (I believe there are two suppliers for the Veyron and Ricardo is one of them). By this I am naturally not suggesting that mine is comparable to the Veyron or F1 gearboxes.....but it is different from our Gxx/xx gearboxes..
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by schnele
I do not want to take any credit here but I pointed Olli in Jean's direction for this transmission,....
You deserve all the credit for it, would not have happened if you did not point me to the right direction
Old 10-13-2007, 11:40 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

I meant what Olli speaks of. I have the utmost respect for Paul at GT racing because of the parts and information he supplied for my ALMS effort but NO this is not the same GT. GT racing (Ltd.) was another company out of England that was acquired by Ricardo. Sorry for the late response but I am at an automotive conference in DC learning about fluids, new technology, equipment and the future.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Tony we are grateful for your input, glad to have experts on the board who share their knowledge.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I am at an automotive conference in DC learning about fluids, new technology, equipment and the future.
Tony..

Where in DC are you and how long will you be here... if you have time, or want to visit any of the more progressive shops in the area, or grab a drink or something.. let me know.

Paul,
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

I returned last night but I would have loved to do that, thank you. I will be attending the same conference next year. So let's hook up then.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here driven a 930 with a sequential shift transmission?