Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How much horsepower do you think this car is making.. with these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question How much horsepower do you think this car is making.. with these mods?

I've been wondering about this for some time. The guy I bought my car from said he thought it was around 340 whp. I wonder how close he is?

The car is an 82 3.3 and in healthy condition.

K27 turbo

tial F40 wastegate / 1 bar spring.

B&B headers

GHL muffler

K&N filter and aftermarket intake duct

I know I could just go have it dyno'd and find out, but don't want to do it until I am ready to modify something and do a before and after.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:07 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot to mention Euro CIS.

I am thinking 300 hp at the crank to start with, add 20-30hp with the extra .2 bar spring, and also 30hp with the upgraded turbo (but somebody can correct me on this!), 5-8 hp for the KN intake thing, maybe 30hp for the exhaust set up.

I don't think 340 to the wheels is out of the question, but just as likely is somewhat optimistic. I am assuming that the headers and turbo and extra boost all have their "claimed" individual effect (claimed by people that sell them, usually).

Don't you have some kind of hybrid turbo thing? You may be getting a little extra juice up top over a regular K27. That would inch you even closer to 340rwhp.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar mods making 340. I'd think about an intercooler soon if I was you, running the 1 bar spring and turbo.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Yeah, an intercooler is in the plan. That's a bummer, I was hoping the car would be making more power than that. I could always just go dyno it to see for sure.

So, from here the next thing should be the intercooler. I am wondering how you can get 400 hp out of a CIS motor? What's next?
Cams?
Intake manifold?
Injectors?
Headwork? ... and doing what to them, matching ports, polishing, shaving?

?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Olli
Racer

Apart from the Intercooler which I think is a good idea I'd just try and find someone with a Dynapack and let them dyno your car so you know what you have before getting into cams or porting your Intake.

Regarding the "polishing" item in your post above, I have been presented with another view of the usefulness of the polishing in that it may actually increase the drag force for air inside your engine.
As an analogy, the aerodynamic qualities of a golf ball with its' indentations was used as an example as to why polishing may not be as desirable as one might think.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Yeah, an intercooler is in the plan. That's a bummer, I was hoping the car would be making more power than that. I could always just go dyno it to see for sure.

So, from here the next thing should be the intercooler. I am wondering how you can get 400 hp out of a CIS motor? What's next?
Cams?
Intake manifold?
Injectors?
Headwork? ... and doing what to them, matching ports, polishing, shaving?

?
If your car is fast, who cares what the exact hp number is? The lower your hp is, the easier you can increase it.

What is next is your Intercooler. Period.

You may be able to get SC or 964 cams into your car without too much trouble, but if you are talking doing injectors and a manifold and porting, you are talking about a $15,000 engine build with parts and labor figured in.

You can try a newer turbo, and maybe cams. After that, you are going to break out your wallet and maybe your discretionary spending bank account, so at this point all you need an intercooler.

You are talking about a top end engine rebuild and huge labor and money once you get past cams.

Just drive your car for a while. Take weight off your car. That is cheap horsepower. Weight savings is the best bang for the buck.

You have to be realistic about your goals from a financial point of view. An engine rebuild is just not a realistic short term goal. Go drive your car on a long distance trip and just enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i completely agree with DDD. If the car is fast --enjoy! The iIC is a must do though.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the "just enjoy it"!
My 87 does "only" 240hp at the wheels (dead stock), and I LOVE it!
When the need for speed hits me, I climb in my 02 996TT X50 (around 480hp at the wheels) and go LOCO!
Just have fun with it!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

My '89 makes 400 whp and the tires are the limiting factor. I bought the car "done" and added a front oil cooler, front brake upgrade and now I'll be purchasing R compound tires (or DOT slicks) for my track days. To this point, I cannot keep up with a Cayman on a fairly tight road course (Gateway, near St. Louis) nor through the "bowl" of the oval onto the front straight simply because of my tires.

DDD is right on, get to the point where you can't squeeze anothes tenth out of the car (after you add that intercooler!) and then invest in great tires. If you max those out, then get more HP.

Enjoy that beautiful car!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

ok..... I got it. Thanks, actually I am happy with how quick it already is, I was just thinking there may more cheap power to be found.

I'll put money aside for the intercooler and maybe drop some weight... that should keep me happy for some time.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
DDD
Pro

I sort of asked the same questions as you and people sort of told me to wear out the engine before trying to rebuild it.

You can't just half way disassemble the engine. You have to port you heads and change all your valves and rockers to mate up with a Carrera manifold, and then you want to add EFI and you will want to change your piston compression and stuff and cams and blah blah blah. $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You may get away with just switching cams, I don't know for sure, but everything else in your top end is interconnected, and in order to change the manifold or anything else you have to change EVERYTHING. At that point you are essentially doing an engine build and dumping half the purchase cost of your entire car right back into the engine when you have a perfectly good engine now.

Weight loss=HP.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxx1

ok..... I got it. Thanks, actually I am happy with how quick it already is, I was just thinking there may more cheap power to be found.

Cheap power - now that's funny.

Other than loose weight, you can go for a different ring and pinion. At least it will feel more powerful. Dollar for dollar, this was one of the best mods I did for the seat-of-the-pants dyno. However, I think my top speed dropped to 150 or so....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DonE
Cheap power - now that's funny.

Other than loose weight, you can go for a different ring and pinion. At least it will feel more powerful. Dollar for dollar, this was one of the best mods I did for the seat-of-the-pants dyno. However, I think my top speed dropped to 150 or so....
Well, you never know until you ask. ... I'll just put the car on a diet.

I know exactly what you mean. I went from a 3:08 to a 4:11 in another car I had it made quite the difference. This Porsche is geared rather tall. I wonder what the stock ratio is on the 82 Euro? How would you even check it on a car like this? Is 4th gear 1:1 ?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

An engine we just did which was similiar yours but, with the addition of with 964 cams, FVD ignition sensor mod and 1.2 bar boost made 378 at the rear wheels in 33 degree celsius weather at 3,300 feet.

My guess is 325 RWHP.

Quick Reply: How much horsepower do you think this car is making.. with these mods?