Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine re-installation with or without trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:18 AM
ayglass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine re-installation with or without trans?

I am just finishing up an engine project on the '86 that included new cams. When I took the engine out it seemed like a good idea to remove only the engine and the rear bumper. It was a pain to get the engine and transmission separated as they came down. The ATV jack was great and I have a traditional transmission jack too, but it was tight.

Here's the question. I read a post where Stephen (IA) prefers to just drop both together. I probably should have done that. How about opinions on the re-installation... Should I take out the trans now in order to put them in together? Or should I put the engine back in and leave the trans well enough alone? So which route is easier at this point? Opinions?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Pull the trans. I hope you didn't bend your input shaft...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

just make sure you are carefull of the reverse switch , I keep breaking it off on the e brake cable. every time I pull the engine or put it back in.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pull it...I don't see how your gonna get the clutch fork lined back up properly with the throw out bearing with the tranny in the car, and the engine being raised into the car...

Heck, sometimes its hard enough with them both sitting on the dolly on the floor...

Brian
Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1000

I've spent an hour or more trying to get them lined and engaged while on a dolly. It doesn't seem to help that the clutch disc never seems to line up either even with a clutch alignment tool.

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Pull it...I don't see how your gonna get the clutch fork lined back up properly with the throw out bearing with the tranny in the car, and the engine being raised into the car...

Heck, sometimes its hard enough with them both sitting on the dolly on the floor...

Brian
Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind, I can do it, but I have done it several hundred times. I would pull the tranny unless you have someone there that has done it this way before and can help. You will be rocking that thing trying to spline it up and get the fork not to spin the TOB.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:03 PM
ayglass
Advanced

I'm glad I asked. I'll drop the transmission today and put everything back in together. I'm getting there! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine re-installation with or without trans?