911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Moaning like a $10 whore

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:19 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met one of the Icons of the Rennlist today. He came by my house and we went over my car and talked about a lot of things. You all know him as DonE and he is a fountain of knowledge and common sense. He has a lubricant that starts out as a liquid and then turns into a thick lubricant after a few minutes. This will be perfect for squirting into the inside bushings since I could never get a thick lube into the thin crack around the swaybar. We talked Pcars, horses, women and money. It was a fun afternoon for me. It's great to place a person to a figment on the forum because we all have visions of those people. Don is thoughtful and offers advice tinged with personal experience. I warned him that I know where he lives and can be at his home in a matter of minutes. I will let you all know how this lube turns out. One bad thing I ran accross on the Automotion web site, they bought Weltmeister out, is that they warn about road noises being transmitted through their sway bar to the cockpit. I guess this covers any noises that may come up. As opposed to Elephant racing's front A arm bushings which they guarntee NOT to make any noise. Rocket is right, they are the bottom of the food chain.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you corner the car hard (as in track events) you may also want to reinforce the tub where the bar goes through. It's fairly thin right there and just like rear sway bar mounts, it's just a matter of time before it suffers a fatigue failure (basically cracks and then tears).
Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHhhh... if it's Wurth HHS2000 thats great stuff.
You can't buy it in a store unless maybe you're in Germany. You have to get it by the case from the Wurth guy here...
It sprays out almost as thin as WD40 and then the carrier evaporates quickly and it ends up thick and sticky like STP...
Works good on hinges and bicycle chains too

Closest thing you can get to it around here is anti-fling aerosol motorcycle chain lube with the plastic straw on the nozzle from a cycle shop.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I live near a bicycle shop and will try them.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I left the can outside your front door this afternoon.

Yep, great afternoon. I enjoyed it. Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks. Will return it soon.
OK, here is an update. I lubed the hell out of the inside of the hole going intothe front trunk and then lubed the outside bushing with moly. Put it all back to gether and placed a pry bar under the link arm and pried upwards. S***t! Same old groan as it went up. If I go fast it wont moan, but slowly like when I drive over a choppy road at a slow speed, it moans and creaks. It sounds like it is just inside behind the triangle bushing holder. Is there anything in there that would cause this? I can see the inside triangle bracket through the trunk and there doesn't seem to be anything in there except the sway bar. I guess the last thing I can do is take out the gas tank and then I can see the whiole thing in action. I'm not **** but I hate squeaks and groans. Help me before I do something rash.

Last edited by 911rudy; 09-29-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:41 PM
JFairman
Racer

Well... lol if misery enjoys company my drivers side seat belt retracter moans when it retracts... so if i lean forward like to adjust the radio and then sit back it moans...
I guess i have to take the rear side panel apart to get to it and see what i can do to stop it because it's annoying.
If I oil it, the damn thing might not lock up when it is supposed to like in an accident.

I guess you have to keep taking yours apart to find the source of the low frequency squeak~moan.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Are you going to be around today?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

What a question! This guy that has been through three engine rebuilds, a car painting, EFI upgrade comes over to my home today and helps me try to solve my moaning $10 ***** car. We both looked like Al Jolson in black face, I know you younger guys will not know what that means, but it means that we got real dirty. Don was such a positive force because I had just about reached the end of the road on this problem. We did all of the things that were brought up on the forum as unbolt and replace such and such. Bull ****! This is a twenty year old car and nothing comes off that easily. I felt like an abusive father because of the beatiing I had to give the old girl. Anyway, what we accomplished today would have taken me three days of full time work to achieve. My advice is if you live near another Pcar owner, offer to help him out, be prepared to get dirty and work late.
I haven't tried out the beast since the work but i WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT WORKED.

Quick Reply: Moaning like a $10 whore