Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Would you call my car a garage queen?.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 AM
djhep
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you call my car a garage queen?.

Hi all.......
Would you call my car a garage queen?.
Now before i bought this 911, i never thought that i would spend time cleaning the underside of a car (ok i know that is not normal, but it is only every 3 months or so). She also generally gets a quick detail when back in the garage after a run.
The real reason that i ask the question is that yes i do spend quite a bit of time on cleaning, polishing and maintenance, but when i take it her a drive (not often as i work away and only manage 1.5k/yr), i enjoy stretching her legs a bit, and don't believe in molly coddling the engine once she is warmed up.
Basically speaking when the conditions permit, i like to give her a good thrashing. We have some beautiful empty roads here in the North of England, but in places they are not in great condition.
I am of the mind that if she gets chipped or covered in cow ****e whilst driving, then i really don't mind at all, as this is unavoidable if the car is to be used as was meant.
What do you guys think?.

All the best.

Dave.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 AM
djhep
AutoX

Oops......
I should have mentioned above, the car has never been driven in the rain, and i check the forecast before heading out (i know.... sad b*****d).
Cheers guys.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
DSPTurtle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 1.5k/yr that is a garage queen. I wash the underside of mine too, but I drive it three days a week.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
vascott99
Instructor

at 1.5k miles a year it is sadly to say QUEEN...I have owned mine for the last 2 years and have put on a mere 9.5 k... My fellow friends heckle me saying the same thing. So I decided to take my car out on the track and do a High performance Driving clinic. I am now ready to start opening her up on the track to clean out the cobwebs. These cars are ment to be driven not coddled to that degree. Mined you she does get a wax and shine almost weekly. Either sell it or drive it...If the roads are not condusive for this kind of beast then get a different one that you feel you can get out more.....

Drive the car otherwise you will have more problems...She does not like to sit for toooooo long...

Good luck...and enjoy it....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
djhep
AutoX

Unfortunately working o/seas means that i don't get the chance to get out anywhere near as much as i would like to. So yeah, i guess she is a queen......
However, she never sits in the garage for more than 5 weeks at a time, and when i do get out for a spin, tend to head out when the roads are quiet. This means that i can really enjoy the car and it's performance.
I wouldn't say that i was a compulsively tidy person or anything, but i feel guilty leaving my baby in the garage if she hasn't been put to bed properly :>)

Cheers.
Dave.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
pete77930
Racer

well, its a garage queen to some extent. more or less that you dont have the time to drive it rather then you not wanting to drive it. At least you use her for her intended purpose when you can. a true garage queen in my book is constantly detailed, drivin sparingly, and trailered to car shows. maybe 1000 miles a year and never gets properly drivin in fear of stone chips etc.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
pete77930
Racer

btw, the previous owner of my turbo drove it once a year to keep the miles down. most of the time he would just back it in and out of the garage to wash the dust off of her. since I've owned her she gets drivin as a Porsche should at least twice a month. all up through the mountains, VIR etc.

Quick Reply: Would you call my car a garage queen?.