Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I contacted the 2nd owner of my 930 last night and got a lot of info on the car ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I would swap out the stock Wastegate and go with a Tial simply for the ability to easily change your boost settings, and even an adjustable boost controller later on. My stock WG with (I can only assume) a 1 Bar spring allowed me to hit 1.3 bar (using an accurate PSI guage) and would kick the OB switch on all the time. I tried finding springs for it and finally did the right thing and went with a new Tial..
Old 09-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by DDD
Do you have a decent aftermarket boost gauge where the clock normally goes in the dash? Reason I ask is that you have no reason to fear overboost unless you actually are experiencing overboost. None whatsoever...either your wastegate is dumping at 1 bar or it is overboosting, but not both, if you know what I mean. When you actually let off the gas pedal you may see a quick spike when you are off throttle before the recirculating valve cuts in to channel the air back into the turbo, but that is not the same as overboosting your target of 1 bar while on the throttle. In fourth gear, with your foot to the floor, it should hold steady at 1 bar, but when you let off the gas it might spike up for half a second before recirculating, but that is not overboost. That is normal.

Overboost is a problem in only some cases with a Tial wastegate, not normally the factory wastegate, and not always with the Tial either.

As far as intercoolers, blown6 has supposedly cleaned up their product, which started out a little bit rough to fit, but they have supposedly stepped up and address their issues. Even a half bay IC from them would totally set you straight for your needs.

For less than a grand you can get a goingsuperfast IC, which is actually made by extreme intercoolers for GSF, and so it is a very good unit. The only problem there is that it will not be completely bolt on, you will need to probably line up the entry and exit tubes yourself, but that is the cheap way to go if you don't mind monkeying with it.

When going to a better IC, you should update to a modern C2 type diverter valve and dump your old fashion recirculating assembly. Imagine Auto can actually hook you up with parts for that. They also sell B+B intercoolers where you would not need to make the conversion (short neck style). Don't know about the cost on those, but they are good ICs as well.

Lots of ways to skin a goose.

Thanks for the info DDD and Gary! My wastegate is a Tial but not sure which model... I'll have to look again. I was leafing through the receipts and noticed a 1 bar spring was purchased. On my factory boost gauge, I notice it does hit 1 bar at full boost, but too, I notice it dumping air starting at around .8. I should probably add a better gauge in there.

I'll take a look and see what intercooler is the best bang for the buck. I don't mind messing with the car as long as it can be fitted and parts are available to assist. Winter is coming up, so it will be a good time to mess with it.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search here on intercoolers, you will find DonE and Slownrusty had some IC's made to their spec.

Quick Reply: I contacted the 2nd owner of my 930 last night and got a lot of info on the car ....