Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What is the avg price of a EFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry, unless others are interested, we can take it off line.
I'm interested, I bought a MAP2ECU which uses an inbuilt MAP sensor:

http://www.mapecu.co.nz/map2.html

pretty sweet, if I can get it working.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent $4K on the DTA EFI parts. I spent another $2K on intercooler core, plumbing and misc.

So for $6k one can do EFI if you want to do all the labor yourself.

Personally it is so much work to do EFI that the $30K prices are very reasonable. I wouldn't touch the job for less that $10K

Power increase in my case was from 328 RWHP on a Dynocrap to 352 on a DynoDynamic. I also did SC cams with the EFI.

Dean
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Stephen,
Thanks for the response. I think most of us on this forum would like to go EFI but there are so many bad stories from the guys that went first. I know that there could never be a single code that would work for all 930's out of the box but I was wondering if there could be a general code so that with the laptop hook up and some mechanical skills there could be a base line code to work from. The supplier, your company, would have to recieve from the customer certain parameters that you noted in your post, and then a base line code could be established and you would have checked all of the sensors and injectors for operability on a sample composite 930. From that start, it would seem that a guy with above average skills could take the base line and adjust it to fit his particular car. You mentioned the o'scope to test the injectors being $3500, but you could check out all of the pieces before you sent them out. It seems like we are just one "Geek" away from doing this. Some guy that you feed beer and chicken necks to to work on this project. C'mone Stephen, advertise for him!
I guess my fear is tuning from afar is never what it should be. If something goes wrong because they did something on the dyno I would be to blame and to be honest that is not something I want to deal with. Yes, I could walk the above average guy through most of it and even send a map to get it started and probably be safe at WOT. But what if he gets a sync error and I need him to trace the mag and hall sensor and he can't? Then I am sunk because the only choice we would have is for me to get on a plane.

Some of the things we have dealt with that are odd and damn near killed me, using an allen head as a pick up. In some cases we have used them in the past and it works perfect, the 944 uses the same thing. On one system it picked up the hole as a break and the other side as a second crank signal. Another, the front edge of the hall sensor signal was moving. Yes, moving and there was nothing mechanical moving!!! It was a sensor incapability to the ECU. We had a sensor that we placed in the dist. The field at 5K cause disturbance and the mag signal would pick up disturbance that pretty much never showed up in the scope. The fix was to place a hall sensor on the flywheel and cut teeth into it. I could go on and on. What to do if these things happen and the person behind the wrench is not use to EFI system. At that point we will suck according to those looking in. Frustrated owner and a pissed wrench.

See my dilemma?.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanM
[snip]

Power increase in my case was from 328 RWHP on a Dynocrap to 352 on a DynoDynamic. I also did SC cams with the EFI.

Dean
Interesting info.

My gains went from 410rwhp to 510rwhp and 376 ft lbs to 500 ft lbs of torque. But, the only things original to the engine when I was finished were rods, heads and case. However, the above gains only give half the picture. The throttle response is completely different, the torque and hp curves are completely different and overall drivability (yep, subjective issue here) is completely different - all improved.

So, when someone asks, "what is the average cost for EFI", it can not be answered without a lot of other qualifiers satisfied first. This is similar to my real job at Merrill Lynch. Someone will ask me how to invest. Wow - until I know what you are looking to acheive and you understand the risks, there is no suitable answer.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

well said DonE.

Quick Reply: What is the avg price of a EFI