911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How much would it cost to.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 AM
5150C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it cost to.....

...have my 77 turbo carrera motor rebuilt fixing the presumed head stud that pulled in my earlier post titled "Something went horribly wrong..", and how much more if i wanted to increase displacement to 3.6 liters?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Try and contact some engine builders around the country; Imagine Auto, Geoffrey in NY...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

do you even know if its a head stud that pulled? How about taking off the valve covers ( cam covers) and checking the head studs? The question that you just asked.. How much would it cost for a rebuild?...is such an open ended question. There are too many varibales to give you an answer on here, such as the condition of your crank, condition of your rods, cyl in spec ( out of round, scratches, etc), piston ring lands, etc, etc...... As drew mentioned above, I would call some shops and speak with them. With out the motor in hand all they would be able to give you is a ballpark figure as to how much its going to be...

On a side note, I had Mike Bruns at JB Racing.. Talavarus, Fl do all of my machine work and that is who I also bought all of the hard parts from. They can also put the motor together for you, and dyno it as well... all in house. They also make their own cylinders, which I have also purchased.

The problem we all face is the " while I am in there" parts. They tend to double and sometimes triple the cost of the normal stock rebuild..... You need to watch yourself carefully on these parts. Figure out what goals you have for the car, HP numbers, and what you realistically would like to see from the car, and then go from there. There are several shops to stay away from, and those can be found on here, or on the other forums...by using the search button... and an afternoon woth of reading.

By all means on of the worst things you could go is...only need a head stud....and end up doing the whole motor. if the motor does not have very many miles...or have been taken care of. You may just need to do a few things to get it back up and running. By no means am I advising you to "skimp" on parts, or procedures... I full rebulid would be the best, most costly solution... BUT it may not be the BEST solution in everyones case....
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed, as mentioned in other post simply pull the valve covers on that side and look with a mirror or fish the holes with a magnet. It will pick up the barrel nut if something is broken or will fall out when you pull the cover. If that does not work then do a leak down and a compression test to see if you have some other issue. Either one of these test would confirm cylinder leakage issues.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
5150C
Intermediate

Thanks, i'm just trying to prepare for the worst before i take it apart. I've had other projects sit for years and get sold off for next to nothing because of cost or loss of interest. I hope this doesn't happen with this car.

Quick Reply: How much would it cost to.....