Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I've been sorting out what I want to do with this car.... so much to do ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool I've been sorting out what I want to do with this car.... so much to do ....

.....so little money. I think suspension, braking and handling will be first on the list. I want to keep the car basically stock looking, but will upgrade the wheels and brakes.... and maybe lower it a bit.

Did Fuch ever make a 17" rim, or can you get a good quality aftermarket Fuch copy?

Is there a decent caliper upgrade using the stock 917 rotors ? I want to install some of the larger red Porsche or maybe Brembo calipers. Is replacing the rotors required / recommended as well?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

... here is another option I had in mind....

....really, the stock brakes are pretty good. Maybe I could have the calipers powdercoated red?

Last edited by Maxx1; 08-10-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 930 brakes work well.....

....depending on your needs, but the big brake kits sure look cool, especially if you are going to bigger more open wheels.

Mike Lindsey, makes real nice wheels for your car....you pick the size, width and finish......there are others, do some looking. Look over on Pelican too....there are guys making copies now...

Lookie here.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...=WHEELSLINDSEY

Suspension upgrades are plentiful too....I haven't ventured too far down that road yet....my car is low. It's a Euro, so it was a little lower to start with, but has been dropped more. Rides really well, no rubs, no grief.....

Having a problem re-sizing photos here, so here's a link to a Pelican page with a couple of shots of the car....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=359267

Good luck!

Mark
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nape75'911T
....depending on your needs, but the big brake kits sure look cool, especially if you are going to bigger more open wheels.

Mike Lindsey, makes real nice wheels for your car....you pick the size, width and finish......there are others, do some looking. Look over on Pelican too....there are guys making copies now...

Lookie here.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...=WHEELSLINDSEY

Suspension upgrades are plentiful too....I haven't ventured too far down that road yet....my car is low. It's a Euro, so it was a little lower to start with, but has been dropped more. Rides really well, no rubs, no grief.....

Having a problem re-sizing photos here, so here's a link to a Pelican page with a couple of shots of the car....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=359267

Good luck!

Mark

Thanks Mark! Those are really nice. I like the polished spokes like yours.

I guess if I went with the Fuch style, the brakes wouldn't really be necessary since they are pretty much hidden in the background, still it would be nice to have more stopping power.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:34 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I have the 928 S4 big blacks up front on my car (they are painted red). Not sure if they are compatible with the Fuchs though. My front calipers were then moved to the back.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are racing, what is the need for bigger brakes? The first time I drove my car and hit the brakes I almost banged my head on the windshield. Do '86 and up have larger brakes than the earlier models? Just curious

Last edited by DougM; 08-11-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by DougM
Unless you are racing, what is the need for bigger brakes? The first time I drove my car and hit the brakes I almost banged my head on the windshield. Do '86 and up have larger brakes than the earlier models? Just curious

They stop better and look cooler.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Maxx...I just went through the wheel/brake/tire process on my car. I track my car regularly and I was cooking the brakes off regularly. I have a narrow body Carrera with stock fronts (non-turbo brakes) and I run about 400rwhp so the brakes on my car were inadequate.

In the end I had what I thought were two good choices to keep the stock fuchs look.

The best option was the Lindsey wheels and the "big-reds" or equivalent. The only issue here is price (brakes and wheels) and availability of 6x16 fuchs to send to Mike for him to use the centers for the rims he makes. Fortunately I could afford this option but I had a hard time finding the 6x16 rims for a reasonable price (ebay, rennlist, pelican, etc).

The second option was to find a brake upgrade that could hold up under track use and fit under my fuchs. I found two that looked well built. The Brembo "GTP-L" kits look fantastic ($2,600) and ProBaking "Super 4" ($1,800) impressed me.

In the end I went with the ProBraking option for two reasons; total price to upgrade and immediate availability. I spent $1800 total and these brakes were awesome last week at Gateway. Check this ink for some pictures...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32643

Good luck with your upgrades and if you track your car you'll want to do the brakes prior to running hard.

Beautiful car btw, try to keep the fuchs look.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Maxx -

There is no reason to upgrade away from 930 brakes. If you put a nice set of pads on you will have all the braking that you need (assuming track duty).

Where in OH are you? I spend my weeks in Toledo on business.

Regards,
Old 08-12-2007, 12:33 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you want bling, I'd save the money towards other things, like go fast parts/suspension. You could always powdercoat them for a couple hundred. That would go a long way making them stand out.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 930LDR
Maxx -

There is no reason to upgrade away from 930 brakes. If you put a nice set of pads on you will have all the braking that you need (assuming track duty).

Where in OH are you? I spend my weeks in Toledo on business.

Regards,

I'm near Akron.

Maybe I will try different pads. These brakes feel noticably weaker than a stock 87 Carrera that I used to own. I don't know if it's the non power brakes vs power brakes, but even braking hard, the 87 would about put me through the windshield and this 82 won't.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have another issue with your brakes. On my '87 carrera and on my '87 930 both cars stop great but the 930 seems to stop faster. Most people that get the bigger brakes do so fo the the heat buildup problem and not to stop quicker. The difference between max breaking and locking the wheels is only a hair's difference. Bigger brakes will not make that difference in smaller. They will allow you to get to that point and hold it many more time without losing friction due to heat.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the 82 have power brakes? I would say you need to look at the system before trying anything.

Another set of pads can make a big difference.

Quick Reply: I've been sorting out what I want to do with this car.... so much to do ....