Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My name is Biff (okay it's Jeff) and I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My name is Biff (okay it's Jeff) and I need help...

So what is it about this 930 addiction, anyway?

It's 102 degrees here; the weather man says it feels like 111!!! I have no A/C - and no heat when those months approach.

I've damn near spent all of any retirement savings I might have accumulated over the years on the car, new engine, and keeping it running.

I smell like gasoline.

My finger nails are dirty and my hands still smell like old motor oil.

I have a green Brad Penn 20W-50 oil stain on my dress slacks from checking the oil when I got to work (it dripped off the dip stick).

I find myself keeping strange hours (late at night early in the morning) turning wrenches on this craziest of mistresses.

I spend entirely too much time on this site and Pelican (can't remember the last time I visited a p@rn site)!

And I'm still smiling!!!!!

How did I get here? Please somebody help me!!! Does it get easier? This surely must be worse than any meth or crack addiction...right?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Do what I do...... Learn guitar and write songs about your cars and experiences .... it will certainly balance out your time.

Here are a few I did:

Highway Maniac
Oh NO !!
I Like to Cruise
It's in my Blood
Baby, Let's Roll !
Horsepower Love Affair

Teh Joe Bean Band Greatest Hits
Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Do what I do...... Learn guitar and write songs about your cars and experiences .... it will certainly balance out your time.

Here are a few I did:

Highway Maniac
Oh NO !!
I Like to Cruise
It's in my Blood
Baby, Let's Roll !
Horsepower Love Affair

Teh Joe Bean Band Greatest Hits
You know it's funny you should say that, when I wasn't working on the car or listening to my tube stereo gear (my other hobby), I built myself a Fender P-bass guitar!!!! I was afraid that learning the 6-string might be too much of a spiral for me. And you're right it does help...as does drinking!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
JJS 03S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Unfortunately, it may be too late for you. On the other hand, my 997 fulfills all my desires. Except for that future GT3 or Turbo, whichever I can convince my wife will be our next Porsche.
-Jay
Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

I think Jay needs to drive a 930 My 964 turbo doesn't nearly require as much attention, maybe it's time for an IA EFI conversion?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by dholling13
I think Jay needs to drive a 930 My 964 turbo doesn't nearly require as much attention, maybe it's time for an IA EFI conversion?
I gotta be honest with you, when it's all said and done, I enjoy tinkering with it - I think a symptom of the illness. My car is very well sorted. I just can't resist it's pull, so I create projects for myself! I also perform a lot of preventative maintenance in an effort to keep it from breaking and leaving me stranded; for example I'm replacing the clutch cable next week...just because I'm nearing 50,000 miles on the original one. However, to be fair, I do go through long stretches (as in a few weeks) where I don't hardly open the engine lid.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
JJS 03S
Instructor

sand man,
My comment about it being too late for you was meant to be facetious. My addiction is keeping mine concours clean.
-Jay
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by JJS 03S
sand man,
My comment about it being too late for you was meant to be facetious. My addiction is keeping mine concours clean.
-Jay
Oh of course! Funny, being that I drive mine daily, means that I spend a great deal of effort keeping it looking factory fresh! I just can't bring myself to let her go to pot!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First, you have made the first step to redemption. You have publicly admitted your weakness to the Dark Power of the Boost Pipe and its evil ways.

The next step is to HIT THAT BOOST PIPE SO HARD YOUR LUNGS EXPLODE!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM
AngM018
Instructor

I dont know how you do it w/out A/C. The temp guage in my late model grand cherokee hit 111 today and it felt like 500% humidity. I was sitting there complaining about how my A/C wasn't getting cold enough, and how I kept on sticking to the leather. When I really should of been thinking Sand_Man is driving in the same conditions with no A/C. I bet that would of made me feel at least 30 Degrees cooler, and stopped my bitchin...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Originally Posted by sand_man

I have a green Brad Penn 20W-50 oil stain on my dress slacks from checking the oil when I got to work (it dripped off the dip stick).

Where did you find the Brad Penn oil? Anywhere in Raleigh sell it?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

....... I enjoy tinkering with it - I...... I just can't resist it's pull, so I create projects for myself! ......
Glad to know there are others just as "ill"

I got bored or cranky when the car isn't running right or worse when there's nothing to "fix" or adjust. Half the fun for me is tinkering with it. The other half is nailing it.

My wife tells people that I have 2 modes:

1) Play (including nailing the 930)
2) Preparing to Play (includes upgrading or fixinig the 930)

Life is good!

Glenn
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Biff (Jeff-Sman) I installed my new A/c system and had it charged. Today here in Atlanta it was 99 F so I took it for a ride to make sure all was well and it was f**king cold! I actually had to go down to the middle speed on the fan. If any of you are in doubt about getting a cold A/C it is possible. I'm like you because I too can't leave the old girl alone either. I finally clipped my finger nails so short that they can't hold dirt.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

You know it's funny you should say that, when I wasn't working on the car or listening to my tube stereo gear (my other hobby), I built myself a Fender P-bass guitar!!!! I was afraid that learning the 6-string might be too much of a spiral for me. And you're right it does help...as does drinking!

Bass is good. It's hard to find a good bass player.

I wonder if John Entwistle or John Paul Jones owned a Porsche ?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by AngM018
I dont know how you do it w/out A/C. The temp guage in my late model grand cherokee hit 111 today and it felt like 500% humidity. I was sitting there complaining about how my A/C wasn't getting cold enough, and how I kept on sticking to the leather. When I really should of been thinking Sand_Man is driving in the same conditions with no A/C. I bet that would of made me feel at least 30 Degrees cooler, and stopped my bitchin...
You're funny, John! A couple of days ago, I was out with some "corporate visitors" in a new rental car, and the air conditioning was useless! We got to our destination long before the car was able to cool us off. I think I was hotter riding with them (windows were rolled up) than I was in my little 4-wheeled oven

As for the Brad Penn, I bought it from this guy (via ebay, but you can contact him directly if you're not comfortable with using ebay). The stuff was $40.00 a case with pretty reasonable shipping. So far, it's the best stuff that's gone into my engine. I won't be doing any more oil experimentation!
http://www.jshighperformance.com/

Quick Reply: My name is Biff (okay it's Jeff) and I need help...