Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Accelerating, 2’nd gear, 4K+ RPM, Boost gauge climbing, and then it happens...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Accelerating, 2’nd gear, 4K+ RPM, Boost gauge climbing, and then it happens...

All hell breaks loose when full boost kicks in when you mash the throttle!

Steering and shifting become blurred from Newtons Law!

Seriously how do you all drive a 930 with 400/500+ hp on the street?
Since buying my 930 last winter, I have been doing mostly cockpit and exterior mods.

This winter the engine/trans is dropping for a new clutch and some transmission work, but since the
engine is out I am weighing what bolt on engine mods I want to perform and also looking for advice

Just curious what others went through going from stock to 400+ hp for street use?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=rbennett
?[/QUOTE]

I am going to find this out very soon. I assume you drive it the same way as you would with 300hp, eagerly!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is very drivable other than a slightly sensitive 3 plate carbon, carbon clutch. It is much louder than stock (music to my ears or other car guys) but you have to choose the place to bring it on boost both for safety sake and it does bring allot of attention to yourself. Stock is fun but you can get use to the boost but a high hp Porsche will always give you a rush when it comes on boost.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

+ 1 on that!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
ferraripete
Racer

how many of us have embarked on the high hp craze?

answer...930's make us all weak...we all eventually embark on the quest for hp!!

don't resist, just have fun.

pcb
Old 07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Couldn't agree more. I can't and won't ever give up the boost
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 AM
spuggy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rbennett
All hell breaks loose when full boost kicks in when you mash the throttle!

Steering and shifting become blurred from Newtons Law!

Since buying my 930 last winter, I have been doing mostly cockpit and exterior mods.

This winter the engine/trans is dropping for a new clutch and some transmission work, but since the
engine is out I am weighing what bolt on engine mods I want to perform and also looking for advice

Just curious what others went through going from stock to 400+ hp for street use?
You may be surprised, I was.

My car is a middie with a 915 and a mild 930. I bought it because realiity melted and very odd things happened to space/time above 3500 - least, that's how it felt to me initially.

After a bunch more miles with the car it still felt very raw, but demanded respect to drive on slimy country roads or in the wet. Being short-geared, it'd rip through the 915 gears like a chainsaw through balsa wood once on-boost...

New headers, I/C and a K27/HF transformed the way the car makes power and drives (it already had SC cams and static 8.0:1 C/R). It now makes .5 bar @ 2500 RPM under load, and the power is a dead straight, predictable line all the way to 395 BHP/ 350 ft/lbs (crank).

Without the sudden, raw, onset of boost, it actually feels slower to drive than it did before - except that it's actually going much faster, much sooner, just with way less fuss and much more predictably.

Gone is the non-linear throttle response around boost and the "light-switch" affect where the steering suddenly went finger-tip light, it's now entirely progressive based on how deep you're in throttle. Just like a regular car, only more so.

I sometimes miss the old way it felt when it made power (always in the dry and in a straight line), but it's much easier to live with the other 98% of the time.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spuggy
Gone is the non-linear throttle response around boost and the "light-switch" affect where the steering suddenly went finger-tip light, it's now entirely progressive based on how deep you're in throttle. Just like a regular car, only more so.
time.
Damn, that's what I like about the 930, that sudden smack in the head power. I don't want that to disappear
Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett

Practice, practice, practice! Seriously, I think track time is a must. I haven't had mine on the track yet, but after years of racing motorcycles and karts and motorcyle street riding, the acceleration seems just so-so. My biggest problem with street driving is that I want feel the boost before every gear change .

I even drove mine in the rain the other day and it wasn't that much different than the dry. It's just that the tires broke loose at a 1/4 throttle rather than 1/2 throttle.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
rbennett
Drifting

I guess that’s been my concern adding more HP for street use.
I thought it would behave like it does now with the toggle switch they call a throttle.

Reading the posts here, I feel comfortable it will smooth out the HP over a wider rpm range.

Will be installing new headers, exhaust, turbo and waste gate (etc.). Not really trying to add tons of
HP, just trying to make the driving a bit more manageable and also having a clean looking under carriage.
The car is completely stock except for a Borla single in dual out exhaust (no cats).

125Shifter, what kind of motorcycle racing did you do?
I raced AMA ¼ ½ mile, number 17 “Blue Plate” from San Diego-Seattle West Coast circuit.
Dam I miss the smell of leather and castor oil
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM
spuggy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeWolf
Damn, that's what I like about the 930, that sudden smack in the head power. I don't want that to disappear
I know, I liked it too, a lot of the time. I had (perhaps naively) thought getting more power would be exactly the same as the original experience, only more so. In retrospect, that would have been pretty evil...

I think that it's a product of the old-school truck(?) turbo and the restrictive headers - that together don't make boost low down but are then suddenly definately "on". If that's true, then making more power by addressing the inefficiencies of the original design would seem to inevitably remove those characteristics. Maybe someone who knows could comment?

Guess you could bolt on a bigger old-school turbo like the K27/7200 and leave the headers...

I also really miss the 3DLZ sounding like an air-raid siren as it spooled up - or was that just mine? I can sometimes barely hear the K27/HF near redline...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Originally Posted by spuggy
You may be surprised, I was.
spuggy, want to tell you that was an excellent overview in your first post
That pretty much put my mind at ease on all of this stuff!

Quick Reply: Accelerating, 2’nd gear, 4K+ RPM, Boost gauge climbing, and then it happens...