Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Let's talk about those mods we regret...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The B&B system is beginning to turn gold and is looking very nice. Sound wise, it sounds almost straight through, having run that system in exhaust set up #2...
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Not splitting the case, every one said I should. I was suffering from empty wallet and need to drive it, was afraid that once the case was split there would be even more wile your there stuff which was why the wallet was empty already. putting in the new rod bolts with the crank in the case is really hard to do correctly by the way. now that it's running the parts that I decided not to take apart since the engine had only 46 k miles on it and no evidence of oil leakage now all leak. All the parts i put on the car ezcept the enging oil cooler do not leak at all. the rest well live and learn. as for the oil cooler no idea every thing was prepped corectly made sure mating surfaces were flat etc. torqued properly but it leaks anyway not a lot but enough to make a mess on the engine..
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Taking the engine out of a perfectly nice, running car, to replace a slipping clutch, then letting "while we're at it" take over. This resulted in:

3 exhaust systems, most notably the Holcombe system, which cried for high end mods
2 new turbos, because the mods, especially the exhaust, made the previous turbos insufficient
2 cam grinds because the exhaust and turbo mods kept making the previous cams insufficient
Splitting the case and freshening the bottom end, to make sure it can handle the mods
Ported heads, to keep up with the airflow enhancements due to cams, turbos, and exhaust
Ported manifolds, to match flow the runners and improve airflow, now needed because of other mods
A new Kokeln intercooler, to keep the intake charge cool for the newly modded engine
EFI, to fuel the engine that now exceeded CIS limits
Splitting the case again, just to make sure that everything inside will handle the EFI-driven mods
Another new turbo, to keep up with EFI
Carrera manifolds, ported, to maximize airflow, now that fuel will be sufficient with EFI
Radically ported heads, to take advantage of the manifolds, EFI, and exhaust
A full-bay intercooler, to work with the Carrera manifolds, ported heads, turbo, and EFI
More new cams to take advantage of the EFI, manifolds, heads, turbo, and exhaust
Two new oil coolers to keep the engine cool with all its mods
Regeared transmission, to take advantage of power band from EFI

Oh, and 3 more clutches to cover the power created by the aforementioned mods

Be careful out there. This could happen to you!

Rob
Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob S
Taking the engine out of a perfectly nice, running car, to replace a slipping clutch, then letting "while we're at it" take over. This resulted in:

3 exhaust systems, most notably the Holcombe system, which cried for high end mods
2 new turbos, because the mods, especially the exhaust, made the previous turbos insufficient
2 cam grinds because the exhaust and turbo mods kept making the previous cams insufficient
Splitting the case and freshening the bottom end, to make sure it can handle the mods
Ported heads, to keep up with the airflow enhancements due to cams, turbos, and exhaust
Ported manifolds, to match flow the runners and improve airflow, now needed because of other mods
A new Kokeln intercooler, to keep the intake charge cool for the newly modded engine
Splitting the case again, just to make sure that everything inside will handle the EFI-driven mods
Carrera manifolds, ported, to maximize airflow, now that fuel will be sufficient with EFI
A full-bay intercooler, to work with the Carrera manifolds, ported heads, turbo, and EFI
More new cams to take advantage of the EFI, manifolds, heads, turbo, and exhaust

Rob
ok so what do you have in the way of leftover almost new parts?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahh yes, in the more-to-regret category... not very much is left over. I sold everything, piece by piece, as I went -- usually at a substantial loss. One has to fund the habit somehow.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

lol well just asking. i have a pretty good sized pile of stock parts debating weather or not to sell them or keep them.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

When I look back at the day that I was talking to a colleague about purchasing a new car. I was just looking at basic boring sedans that really just presented a bit of instant retail therapy by being new. My colleague said "Is that what you want?" to which I jokingly replied "Well I'd really like a Porsche". She said "Why not?" and that was it. 18 months later and over $100k spent on a car that has been off the road since Nov after a failed rebuild (lasted 4 days and died by the side of the road miles from anywhere when I decided to take myself for a long drive to run the new engine in on my birthday! Top day out that was!!). One thing after another and still I'm waiting on the 2nd rebuild. If I diarised the events and retold them you just wouldn't believe it. Anyway once it's done properly it will be awesome...once it's done that is...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob
SHEEEESH! I think you win the prize, Rob!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
DeanM
Intermediate

Rob always wins the prize

My only regret was not doing all my mods to a 930. I did them to an SC cause I couldn't afford the 930 at the time.

Dean
Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
BlkBird
Intermediate

Forgetting my car is a street car.

Modifying the car from a drivable 389 rwHP that acted like a big V8 to a 422 rwHP monster that hates to run anything but hard.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
My worse, building Monster. I took a very fast 930 that was perfect to me and tried to make it better. It took a year and a half to do and when finished, it rode to rough, was to perfect to drive and in the end was really to fast for the street. Broken axels, snapped stubs, blown trannies. It was not worth the time money or effort to do it. I sold it and bought a 993TT and never looked back. It spoiled me. My 996TT neared those same comments. Sometimes more is not better.

This is not very encouraging... Is my blue car sitting in your shop doomed to the same fate?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Rob
You stole my story.

David
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be a close second to Rob. 1. three years ago K27 turbo, koklen intercooler, 1 bar, sports clutch, Ghl headers and custom dual outlet muffler from Ghl, some suspension mods, twin plug, fuel enrichment, 964 cams, RH wheels, after driving it was too loud so I had normal ghl muffler with dual outlet installed. Dynoed at 325 at wheels. The car was running great but then Madness...... 2. 3.4 Ruf pistons and cylinders opened up heads more, corillo rods and possibly a few things I can't remember. Clutch could not handle so had to go to better clutch and pressure plate, big brakes, more suspension stuff, corner balanced. One track day and detonation, two burn't pistons. 3. Back to wrench, I paid for two pistons and misc. parts, he covered labor. Five months later another break in period. Then it was time for Sebring. At second half hour session car starts to tremble, with loss of power and some smoke. Back to wrench. He had no real answer as to why just assumed lack of fuel. He paid for a set of JE pistons and took care of labor. six months later I got car back. Dilema.... WHAT TO DO. I spoke to efi tuner and another wrench near tuner. Road trip to new wrench. New wrench installed full bay intercooler, bigger turbo, custom exhaust, efi, 3.2 intake, and more head work, five months later I picked up car for another break in period. After break in it was time to go back to tuner another road trip to dyno after 3 long hours 469 at rear wheels. WOW almost no lag and what a kick. Now I had to get cup tires to handle power better. Went to robling road car did great but noticed a little blow by. I drove car on street for aprox. 500 miles seemed to be fine then it was time for sebring again. One session then I opened the hood and the motor was drenched with oil. I call new wrench and he is out of business. Lucky for a great efi tuner who is calling me on regular bassis to see how the car is doing and offering help, he recomends a wrench with great resume. 4. The bad is that there is a month wait to get to new wrench, now it has been eight months. Here is a small list of parts thus far, new oil coolers which appear to be the reason for the damage, 3.4 mahle pistons and cylinders, 3.2 heads ported and polished, rebuild turbo, clutch had started to slip so we went to 700 horse power, evo gt2 cams, projected power 580 on pump gas and 470 at one bar for reliable track use, and I don't want to know what it will make on racing fuel. I am sure I am forgetting a few things but it has been an nteresting 3 years. I am expecting to get car back in 2 weeks
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we have a winner!

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hang in there and good luck getting it fixed.

Originally Posted by mike1111
I must be a close second to Rob. 1. three years ago K27 turbo, koklen intercooler, 1 bar, sports clutch, Ghl headers and custom dual outlet muffler from Ghl, some suspension mods, twin plug, fuel enrichment, 964 cams, RH wheels, after driving it was too loud so I had normal ghl muffler with dual outlet installed. Dynoed at 325 at wheels. The car was running great but then Madness...... 2. 3.4 Ruf pistons and cylinders opened up heads more, corillo rods and possibly a few things I can't remember. Clutch could not handle so had to go to better clutch and pressure plate, big brakes, more suspension stuff, corner balanced. One track day and detonation, two burn't pistons. 3. Back to wrench, I paid for two pistons and misc. parts, he covered labor. Five months later another break in period. Then it was time for Sebring. At second half hour session car starts to tremble, with loss of power and some smoke. Back to wrench. He had no real answer as to why just assumed lack of fuel. He paid for a set of JE pistons and took care of labor. six months later I got car back. Dilema.... WHAT TO DO. I spoke to efi tuner and another wrench near tuner. Road trip to new wrench. New wrench installed full bay intercooler, bigger turbo, custom exhaust, efi, 3.2 intake, and more head work, five months later I picked up car for another break in period. After break in it was time to go back to tuner another road trip to dyno after 3 long hours 469 at rear wheels. WOW almost no lag and what a kick. Now I had to get cup tires to handle power better. Went to robling road car did great but noticed a little blow by. I drove car on street for aprox. 500 miles seemed to be fine then it was time for sebring again. One session then I opened the hood and the motor was drenched with oil. I call new wrench and he is out of business. Lucky for a great efi tuner who is calling me on regular bassis to see how the car is doing and offering help, he recomends a wrench with great resume. 4. The bad is that there is a month wait to get to new wrench, now it has been eight months. Here is a small list of parts thus far, new oil coolers which appear to be the reason for the damage, 3.4 mahle pistons and cylinders, 3.2 heads ported and polished, rebuild turbo, clutch had started to slip so we went to 700 horse power, evo gt2 cams, projected power 580 on pump gas and 470 at one bar for reliable track use, and I don't want to know what it will make on racing fuel. I am sure I am forgetting a few things but it has been an nteresting 3 years. I am expecting to get car back in 2 weeks
Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Is anyone keeping track of how much they spend on their car?

Quick Reply: Let's talk about those mods we regret...