Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

After buying my 930, here are the problems I have so far ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default After buying my 930, here are the problems I have so far ....

I've driven the car for a couple hundred miles so far with no problems.... it's been great! Recently the car has stalled while slowing down to make a turn on a side street. This is weird because it's run fine up to this point.

The other thing is, sometimes, maybe 10% of the time it's hard to get it into first gear at stop lights. None of the gears ever grind or shift hard, but it's like the first gear syncro isn't working right all the time. I know this 4 speed isn't the greatest transmission on the Planet, but is this common with this car?

I am a newbie with the 930s and am comparing them to my other former Porsches, a Boxster S and an 87 Carrera coupe.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know what to tell you about the stalling. Since you're a new 930 owner, you might want to take it to a good P-mechanic for diagnosis.

As for the first gear issue, you might want to check the clutch adjustment. The 4sp trannies are just fine. If the cable adjustment doesn't work, then you might have a worn synchro.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonE
Don't know what to tell you about the stalling. Since you're a new 930 owner, you might want to take it to a good P-mechanic for diagnosis.

As for the first gear issue, you might want to check the clutch adjustment. The 4sp trannies are just fine. If the cable adjustment doesn't work, then you might have a worn synchro.
My transmission at times resists going into first, but other times not. Usually, I find that by shifting into 2nd, prior to selecting 1st, it will slide right in. I think that helps to slow down the syncro's or some such other transmission wizzardry. Of course, I'm in the 100,000 mile club so this is probably to be expected. But do check out your clutch cable adjustment just to make sure.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DonE

My transmission at times resists going into first, but other times not. Usually, I find that by shifting into 2nd, prior to selecting 1st, it will slide right in. I think that helps to slow down the syncro's or some such other transmission wizzardry. Of course, I'm in the 100,000 mile club so this is probably to be expected. But do check out your clutch cable adjustment just to make sure.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
mark '87 930
Instructor

I am almost 100% certain that the 930 trannies do not have first gear synchro's. Only the higher gears.

If it doesn't go in, I do the 2nd gear thing, or release the clutch and push it back in, then go to first.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Yeah, I tried a few of those things. The thing that sucks is when a light turns green I am screwing around with my gears instead of moving. I've lately been checking first engagement before the light turns green. I am still getting used to the car .... I'll figure out what works but thought this may be a common thing. My 87 Carrera shifted like crap too.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

sometimes I have the same problem and what I do is double clutch press the clutch two times on the second time put it in gear it goes right in.its just what works for me good luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have difficulty with first also....I solved a little of the problem when I switched to SWEPCO 201...that definitely helped a bit....but I still have to periodically go to second, or in second slip the clutch a bit so the car moves forward just a bit and turns the gears, then go right into first. These cars don't like to be rushed...so if the light turns green and you find yourself screwing around with trying to get it in first, it can lead to a bit of forcing it, which I've done on occasion but don't like doing that. Pre-planning is the key.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I always follow up shifting with down shifting, 1'st-4'th gear and 4'th-1’st when coming to a stop.
If I skip any gears down shifting, then it will be a little labor getting it into 1’st

Also, if I rush the shifting going from 1-4, it may or may not grind just a bit going into gear.

Don’t know if this is normal but it works for me, my 87 - 930 has 41k original miles on it.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I have difficulty with first also....I solved a little of the problem when I switched to SWEPCO 201...that definitely helped a bit....but I still have to periodically go to second, or in second slip the clutch a bit so the car moves forward just a bit and turns the gears, then go right into first. These cars don't like to be rushed...so if the light turns green and you find yourself screwing around with trying to get it in first, it can lead to a bit of forcing it, which I've done on occasion but don't like doing that. Pre-planning is the key.

Thanks..... sounds like you've drivin my car! I'll try the a few of those ideas.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW - when I bought my 1983 930 (which I still have the engine/tranny from) - I couldn't (and still can't ) go into 1st very easily.

Tranny has been rebuilt 3 times during my ownership, and it still doesn't go into 1st that well...

Brian
Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Smile

test

Well how about that... I can post pics now
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
FWIW - when I bought my 1983 930 (which I still have the engine/tranny from) - I couldn't (and still can't ) go into 1st very easily.

Tranny has been rebuilt 3 times during my ownership, and it still doesn't go into 1st that well...

Brian

Well, actually as weird as it sounds, that makes me feel better that it's the nature of the beast rather than some isolated problem with my car.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful car, looks just like mine. Euro and everything.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
attyjeff
Racer

yea, we have problems getting into 1st also, I have found that shifting down helps or stopping helps also,

Quick Reply: After buying my 930, here are the problems I have so far ....