Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Dual outlet exhaust vs single outlet...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dual outlet exhaust vs single outlet...

Whenever I kick the turbo in on my 930, it sounds like a giant air compressor hose blowing wide open. My exhaust consists of a B&B header and a GHL single muffler / 3" to 4" oval outlet. I wonder if there is any gain to be found by going to a dual outlet exhaust?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Whenever I kick the turbo in on my 930, it sounds like a giant air compressor hose blowing wide open. My exhaust consists of a B&B header and a GHL single muffler / 3" to 4" oval outlet. I wonder if there is any gain to be found by going to a dual outlet exhaust?
That Lockheed Martin SR-71 "Black Bird" taking off sound, is the sound I love! That's the wastegate opening. On some models (mine for instance, before it was modified), the stock setup used a small muffler on the wastegate. Some models actually routed the wastegate exhaust to the existing muffler...sort of two for one.

Being that yours has been modified, you probably have a small "dump tube" (straight pipe) coming off of your wastegate. A dual exhaust from B&B or GHL still would do nothing to cure this loud wastegate "wooshing" sound as these are just mufflers with two outlets instead of one...nothing involving the wastegate.

On the Fabspeed "dual muffler", it's really just a single out muffler that exits on the passenger side with a long straight pipe possesing the same decorative tip coming off of the wastegate...gives the impression of a dual muffler.

I sort of followed the Fabspeed approach using a Borla XR-1 (with no fancy tip) exiting on the passenger side and a long straight pipe (smaller diameter) coming off of the wastegate and exiting on the drivers side....still loud!

You might need to look for an original factory wastegate muffler or have something made.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny story: I was cruising around one day and some assclown in an Audi TT (cool car) was doing about 20 MPH in a 45 while he carried on a very animated conversation on his cell phone. He had the top down. When the road openend up from two lanes (two way street) to four lanes, he continued to stay in the "passing lane" at his slow rate of speed. I moved to the other lane and nailed it hard from second to third. As the wastegate opened up, I was right next to him and he nearly **** his pants from the sound! He swerved a little and dropped his phone!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing beats that sound when your blowing by someone--spectacular --plus the look of shock on the other guy is priceless. The other great thing about these things is the flamethrower effect, 934 and 935 like while backing off the accelerator.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Thumbs up

That's very interesting! Yes, I have a dump tube, so that must be what all the noise is about. I was concerned that the exhaust was trying to force all that extra boost volume out the tailpipe, thus the noise. No prob then, thanks for the info. ... and the flames!! what a nice bonus
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that f-16 like sound is crazy! i too have seen people schit their pants...it is actually kind of violent in the delivery.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you switch mufflers overnight?

You posted that you had a B+B dual muffler that rattled during the PPI inspection, or am I imagining things?

Your biggest gain will be a zork tube. Going to a true B+B or Fabspeed or Magnaflow dual muffler might give you a few hp, but not a fake dual muffler where the outlet is sort of half closed off on the passenger side, so as not to be too loud. That design is not the best.

At this point, your biggest gains are going to be a straight pipe of some sort out either side, or a zork out the back. True dual exhaust will be somewhere in between a zork and what you have now.

The wategate dump is a super loud hissing sound that is intensified when it echoes off of the frightened car you pass by.....it still shocks me every once in a while how violent it sounds when echoing off a minivan.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are NO GAINS by going to a dual outlet. It is for sound and looks only.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by DDD
Did you switch mufflers overnight?

You posted that you had a B+B dual muffler that rattled during the PPI inspection, or am I imagining things?

Your biggest gain will be a zork tube. Going to a true B+B or Fabspeed or Magnaflow dual muffler might give you a few hp, but not a fake dual muffler where the outlet is sort of half closed off on the passenger side, so as not to be too loud. That design is not the best.

At this point, your biggest gains are going to be a straight pipe of some sort out either side, or a zork out the back. True dual exhaust will be somewhere in between a zork and what you have now.

The wategate dump is a super loud hissing sound that is intensified when it echoes off of the frightened car you pass by.....it still shocks me every once in a while how violent it sounds when echoing off a minivan.
Nah, the rattle prob was actually a tricky little thing.... after checking all around the muffler and finding no contact with the body it was thought there was something loose inside. After later removing the muffler, it was fine... the outlet was rubbing on the body ... but the rattle radiated to make it sound like the muffler was the problem area. Weird! The PPI guy should have been fired on the spot! Oh well, regardless, a minor detail ... I got an awesome car for $30K.

I hate minivans. I think I will leave the exhaust as is and seek out a few minivans to blow by
Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know if the newer pcars are flame throwers like our older 930 or is it just something our older cars do?I love the look of it at night it lights up the highway for a second and demands the attention it deserves.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the Fabspeed "dual muffler", it's really just a single out muffler that exits on the passenger side with a long straight pipe possesing the same decorative tip coming off of the wastegate...gives the impression of a dual muffler.

I'm running the single outlet Fabspeed as well. To help reduce the noise generated through the wastegate, I installed a simple baffle (actually originally designed as an insert for a Harley straight pipe exhaust). It just happened to fit the inside diameter of the long straight pipe. The result is more of a muffled "whoosh", as opposed to a full on roar.

Quick Reply: Dual outlet exhaust vs single outlet...