911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I Want To Order These Headers But...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Shaka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
As Falk has mentioned, and I have previously mentioned.. The exhaust port to header holes are incorrect. When you guys get some miles on the system you will see that they will start leaking.. To correct this one would have to cut/make a set of bushings on the lathe.

It would be nice to verify a recent purchase to see if it has been corrected.

Well, I bought these OBX headers a few weeks ago and with this set, I can confirm that both the exhaust port to headers and turbo flange properly fit a 10 mm bolt. So I guess no revisions there.

Although I have not installed these headers as of yet, after taking a look at the header I noticed at the exhaust port flange that the pipe protruded a few mm beyond the flange. I intend to install them next week but I assume, (emphasis on assume ) that this would or should help with sealing the header to the exhaust port. What do you guys think or is there more to the equation?

Other than the hole size, I will need to see if I encounter any fitting issues.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaka
Well, I bought these OBX headers a few weeks ago and with this set, I can confirm that both the exhaust port to headers and turbo flange properly fit a 10 mm bolt. So I guess no revisions there.
So I guess time will tell. One thing I'm curious about is the impact of weight (or lack there of) on these headers and the type of brackets being used to support the turbo and exhaust muffler? For instance, I'm still using the original turbo support bracket that attaches to the engine support console. I'm also using a muffler bracket on my Borla XR-1. This should help ensure that, mechanically, things stay pretty well secure. Additionally, the headers are much lighter due to the lack of heater boxes. Dang, my B&Bs w/heat weighed a ton compared to these.

Although I have not installed these headers as of yet, after taking a look at the header I noticed at the exhaust port flange that the pipe protruded a few mm beyond the flange.
That is normal. My B&Bs had this too. Beyond the typical needing a third hand to help hold things together and lined up so that nuts and bolts could be started, I experienced no other issues with install. I've put 1,000 miles on them so far and just looked under my car this morning, and no leaks. FWIW, I heard many people indicate that they were constantly having to re-tighten the hardware holding B&Bs to the exhaust ports.

Quick Reply: I Want To Order These Headers But...