911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Intake temp sensor location for EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:24 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Default Intake temp sensor location for EFI

This is for 3.2 intake manifold. Is it ok to mount the sensor just below the throttle body? What is the typical location for this mounting?

TIA
Old 05-04-2007 | 03:28 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW - mine is right before throttle body.
I can't see where it would make that much difference between right before the throttle body vs below the body, or at the manifold itself. (but I'm wrong alot)
Old 05-04-2007 | 03:54 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

And it's working ok for you? Maybe I can use the pipe coming off the outlet side of my I/C.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007 | 04:01 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

My sensor is mounted just before the sleeve that slips over the throttle body mouth.
It is right next to the silicone sleeve. So its maybe less than 2 inches from the mouth of the throttle body.

Seems to work fine.
Old 05-04-2007 | 04:32 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Mechanic is insisting the the temperature above the throttle body is much cooler than the area in the intake manifold. He wants to drill on the manifold directley under the throttle body.
Old 05-04-2007 | 04:52 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

I placed mine between the intercooler and TB right in the middle of the straight run. I've never heard of putting one after the throttle body.

Air would be cooler after the TB since there's a pressure drop.
Old 05-04-2007 | 04:58 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I placed mine between the intercooler and TB right in the middle of the straight run. I've never heard of putting one after the throttle body.

Air would be cooler after the TB since there's a pressure drop.
Help me out with this- why wouldn't you want the cooler reading?

BTW, the Autronic manual states that the sensor should be put as close to the head as possible- of course the manual is not written specifically for turbo applications.
Old 05-04-2007 | 07:04 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Ray Hall with Autronic agrees with you guys. He says before the throttle body and after the I/C.
Old 05-04-2007 | 07:49 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

If you install the intake air temp sensor directly in the intake manifold, the heat from the heat/manifold will go directly to the sensor and it will not read properly, it will read much too high. I install them after the I/C and before the throttle body. Perhaps you need to look for a mechanic who has direct EFI experience...he should know this...

Autronic works different than other ECUs. It trys to estimate the air temp in the cylinder. It does this by a three dimensional table with intake air temp on one axis and engine temp on the other. It then computes what it calls the "charge temp" and if you don't spend the time getting the charge temp table correct, the engine will never have consistent AFRs. This is usually the table people do not tune and usually why, especially on a turbocharged engine, and even worse on an air cooled engine where the engine temp is either oil temp or cylinder head temp the engine does not have consistent AFRs.
Old 05-04-2007 | 09:08 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
If you install the intake air temp sensor directly in the intake manifold, the heat from the heat/manifold will go directly to the sensor and it will not read properly, it will read much too high. I install them after the I/C and before the throttle body. Perhaps you need to look for a mechanic who has direct EFI experience...he should know this...

Autronic works different than other ECUs. It trys to estimate the air temp in the cylinder. It does this by a three dimensional table with intake air temp on one axis and engine temp on the other. It then computes what it calls the "charge temp" and if you don't spend the time getting the charge temp table correct, the engine will never have consistent AFRs. This is usually the table people do not tune and usually why, especially on a turbocharged engine, and even worse on an air cooled engine where the engine temp is either oil temp or cylinder head temp the engine does not have consistent AFRs.
Thanks Geoffrey,

If I had to do it all over again, I would get an experienced mechanic. As it happens, we're about to put the engine back in the car and there are only a couple of sensors left to wire.

I will hopefully be using Enzo from the Autronic board for my tuning however.
Old 05-04-2007 | 09:23 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I know Enzo and can highly recommend him.
Old 05-04-2007 | 09:40 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I know Enzo and can highly recommend him.
That's good to know.

Quick Reply: Intake temp sensor location for EFI