911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need some input here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some input here...

I have a dilemna. I bought my 87 factory slant cab a year ago. I paid a pretty penny... but I think it was worth it...the car could go concours if I had the patience and enough Q tips. Everything on the car works...even the A/C. I did have to do some tidying up because the car sat covered for several years and the vacuum lines hardened, it had a few corroded connections, leather needed conditioning, and the CDI died, but other than that...it's pretty spiffy.

I read these forums and saw that some of you advocated doing a "bolt-on" approach to performance enhancement...and that appealed to me. Nothing major...but something around 100 horses sounded neat. I started buying what I saw were the "top 4" bolt-ons recommended by the guys who seem to know; and now have a brand new Tial 46mm wastegate, a custom made set of headers with heat, a new (still boxed up) Blown6 half bay intercooler, and a used but rebuilt K27 7200 turbo.

I've taken the car to two of the top indys in the area and talked to them about the feasibility of installing the items I've collected. Both looked over the car and said it was one of the nicest factory slants they'd seen...and one flat out refused to do an install (very professionally declined), while the other just said it would be a shame to alter the car in any way. I guess if I insisted, they'd have no option, but that's not the issue.

So now I sit here with the "goodies" I've bought vascillating back and forth between should I do the installs, or leave it as is. What do you folks who have been there and done that....or not done it....say? Chuck
Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, always a balance of positives and negatives. I have the bolt-ons --not quite a blown6 but a kolken , tial, headers etc. . the car was always fast and once ProtoTech worked the magic and with Motorwerks doing the fuel head etc. the thing is a freight train. I was going to do even more but my mechanics said the same thing--essentially it is a really fast, really light, and incredibly beautiful car(in your case drop dead beautiful) AND a blast to drive as is. Plus there are many that want an original piece(the dispute rages) ---I vote for leave it and enjoy.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no help whatsoever, but let please let me know if you decide to sell those parts. I plan on buying similar within the next 2 weeks...Thanks.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Rob: I've spent the last year collecting these...and they're the best I could find. I'm really in a dilemna here...one minute I want to do it, the next I don't....but I will keep you in mind if I decide to leave well enough alone.

So Daley...what are you saying.? You went ahead and did the performance bolt-ons? But yet you're saying leave it alone and just enjoy? I certainly am not entertaining any thoughts about BIG HP gains...just a tad bit....and only the externals....no internal engine cams or anything like that. Damn, I'm usually not indecisive....but I sure am in this case.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:36 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Chuck, if it was me I would fit them, no doubt about it.

What I did do though is to keep all the stock parts I have removed so that they could be refitted if needed or just passed along to the new owner with the car.

It's your car, if you want to fit them then have them fitted. Just keep all the old parts.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Olli
Racer

I second Nathan's thoughts. Keep the old parts and you have done no harm.

I would also consider the adjustable WUR from Brian Leask just to be on the safe side. If you don't want to lose your stock WUR, there are used ones available for around $375.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dittos to what Nathan and Olli already recommended. This is the beauty of "bolt-ons" ... it's easy to reverse the process if ever need be. Cheers!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Nathan: Actually...that's the one thing I haven't bought yet that was on the list...Brian's WUR...he was saving one for me before I went through the ...do it/don't do it ....moments of indecision. I'm ingesting and considering all the responses before I decide......and thanks for the input.

I actually had made tentative arrangements with Chet to go down to Tracy to look and drive his car and have him take a look and give me some input....and then tragedy struck.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-27-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

thats one of the good things about a car with a salvage title. no guilt about cutting holes changing fenders doing anything that you want to the engine. if I had bought a concourse clean turbo I would be afraid to do anything to it also. my other car is a row carrera same thing there no guilt as it was already molested by the people who federalized it.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Ditto ditto, and more ditto. As several members have suggested, install the parts. You'll find that the car runs so much cleaner and more responsive. Take the test: Run with the stock components for awhile, get the feel for the stock setup, then take the time to bolt all the improvements in place. I think you'll find it's worth the effort on the pleasure meter.
Of course, do keep all the original stuff - in case, on the day you decide to sell your beautiful car, the new owner just must have all original.
Take care of it, treat it well. Just because you install mods doesn't mean that you're going to rod the **** out of it, then bolt all the original stuff back on and unload it to some unsuspecting buyer as "all original" (though I suspect that happens all the time). I look at the bolt on mods as fine tuning an already awsome car!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
My advice would be to consider what you are trying to attain. Your stock car is more than enough fun just for a weekend driver. Obviously there is a lot more power available with the mods you have bought but will they make the car, for the way you use it, that much more fun? Let me play "Devil's advocate" with you. Suppose you break off an exhaust stud when you go to replace the exhaust system. If it is a flush break then you will have to drill out the stud and maybe use a timesert or worse. A bigger IC will not make more HP. When you start your car and the engine and compartment are cold, a bigger IC will not do anything for your engine. As the temp of both rise then the bigger IC will help keep your charge air cooler thus losing less power than a smaller, hotter IC will. Headers and a HF turbo will net you a few hundred rpm off of your "On boost" rpm but its not nitrous. The bottom line is that if you don't get into your engine and change some of the major items like cams, fuel flow, timing and porting you will not see an awsome change in your cars performance. I have done all of the things that you are going to do and it just isn't that much better. It does shoot up to the red line quicker and the boost is more pronounced when it does kick in but its not going to blow you away. My advice would be to keep the old girl mint and drive her with pride. I know this will not be endorsed by some of our friends but you have unique car with unmolested status and I would keep it that way.
Enjoy it,
Rudy
Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 AM
im4duke
Racer

Chuck, from what I know after speaking with you early on and reading your recent posts, if I was in your position with the goals I believe you to have, I would do the following:

First and foremost, do nothing to jeopardize the orginality of the car for future resale. This is driven by financials and an enthusiast's appreciation for orginality.

Pursue "bolt-on" mods that are truly reversible and offer either increased longevity or reliability to the car (ex. bolt-in intercooler, adjustable WUR, WG, etc.).

Keep all removed components such that they do not deteriorate and are easily reinstalled.

Modifying headers and turbos certain has the potential of increasing power. Generally speaking, with greater power comes greater heat and stress. believe neither of these are in your best interest, although I may be wrong here. The 930 is a brutal machine to us "commuters" in it's delivered form.

Regardless, good luck. You have a beautiful car and I hope you continue to enjoy it for a long time.

Cheers,
Maxx
Old 04-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Default Here's what I'm talking about

I thought I'd throw up a picture of the car so you can see what I'm talking aobut with regard to how it looks, and the issues I need to consider.

I'm very seriously considering ALL the input I've been getting from you gentlemen...and I can tell you that I'm very surprised at the number of suggestions I've seen to leave it alone. That's consitent with what the indys told me. Rudy, you are quite right in your comments about the inherent performance that's already there...and although there is merit to the suggestions to do the bolt-ons and keep the original equipment for a retro to stock.....I do have a car that runs well, starts instantly, and is a blast to drive.

Considering the fact I already have all the bolt-ons....as well as a complete relatively unused extra CIS system in a box...there's a temptation to take advantage of what I have.....but then again....do I want to fool around with something that works.....

I do thank you gentlemen for all your input and suggestions....they are logical and have merit.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2007, 04:53 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I found that the extra 70bhp of my 930 versus my lighter 911 was noticable.
I am looking forward to see how an extra 100bhp out of my 930 with less weight than previously performs.
I guess it would be fair to say you can never have enough power with the levels we are talking about so yes, I suppose the novelty of the extra power would wear off & I won't be having any more fun than I did before.
I just hope to see that mini at the dragstrip again to blow the doors off him this time LOL.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I found that the extra 70bhp of my 930 versus my lighter 911 was noticable.
I am looking forward to see how an extra 100bhp out of my 930 with less weight than previously performs.
I guess it would be fair to say you can never have enough power with the levels we are talking about so yes, I suppose the novelty of the extra power would wear off & I won't be having any more fun than I did before.
I just hope to see that mini at the dragstrip again to blow the doors off him this time LOL.

LOL, nathan video next time mate , would luv to see

Quick Reply: Need some input here...