Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need some input here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mini had a Toyota MR2 turbo engine in the rear though!

I was catching up near the finish but he got away way better than me.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Chuck, as far as we know we only get one go around. I would be damned if I considered what some ****** would or wouldn't pay me for my modified car. Live for today, I am otherwise rather conservative financially but for the sake of Pete, this is a hobby. By the by I am in the car business professionally and none of the cars we drive are rare enough to really worry about resale. MOD the hell out of her she will love you for it.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MOD the hell out of her she will love you for it.

Schnele: You made me smile with that one....This is such a great bunch of guys here....we all share the passion...not necessarily the same philosophies, or methodologies.... but the same passion...and all of the suggestions are sincere and from the heart. Although I've never had the pleasure of meeting all you folks, I'm sure there's not one of you I wouldn't like.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

The people your side of the pond (you too Chuck) seem much nicer than some of guys this side.

Any idea which way you are going Chuck ?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 AM
gaijin
Racer

Chuck:

I have made all the mods you've planned for plus sone. When I bought my 930, it was a museum-collector car coming from two previous owner with 22K at purchase. As such, my 930 had multiple oil leaks from lack of use. So when I had the engine resealed to address the oil leaks (and replace a broken headstud), I had my Porsche tech pull the camshaft and sent to Dema Elgin in Redwood City. Dema did a SC330 regrind.

Just returning from a back-to-back, coast-to-coast business trip (three weeks with no time-off), I took my 930 for a drive yesterday.

Nice cool and crisp morning after a weather front passed through our part of the SE Friday.

I needed that drive! Just me, the SE Georgia mountain roads and my good ole' 930. Capping off the morning drive with a pit stop at Road Atlanta to see the going-on's at the Mitty Challenge.

BTW, everything that I've removed from my 930 in favor of the upgrades are cleaned and stored in boxes. That includes the US Thermal Reactors.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
All the mods you mention can easily be retrofitted back to the car if you decide to sell. I have taken much the same path as storing everything possible for that very purpose. More than likely the new buyer would keep the mods on. It just makes it easier to sell a rare car if the original parts are included in the sale. Enthusiasts have a love/hate relationship with the slants, though I think the rarity factor is going to win out over the next ten years.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck,

I have a 1988 Factory Slant Cab also. I pondered the same issues for a year and finally decided to do the bolt on. Tial, K27-7200, B & B intercooler, B & B headers, GHL dual out exhaust. Recent dyno put it at about 388 hp at the flywheel. Car has incredible power and much faster spool.

I did every bolt-on myself. Really quite easy if you dont run into problems. The only semi-permanent mod was the delete of the smog system, which is now boxed up.

I will soon refinish the suspension, but plan to keep that stock. I considered poly-bronze and the like but will draw the line on modifications to easy bolt ons.

By the way, your car looks great.

Blaine
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Well guys, I've spent the weekend going thru all the responses and thinking hard about what I'm going to do....and I think all things considered....I'm going to tackle putting on the performance mods that I've spent so much time collecting. Rudy, I truly appreciate your input, and believe me, I am a bit nervous about the issues you raised regarding breaking bolts and having to drill out studs...that would be my worst nightmare. But I retired not too long ago, and I've been looking for something to challenge me and keep me interested....and tackling these mods would certainly serve that need. I have no doubts that when I get into doing things, I'll be tapping the expertise of this forum...and I know that the collective knowledge represented here is fairly extensive.

Insofar as how to proceed, I believe that I need to get the original headers and manifold off...right? I believe I've seen archived "How-to" on that subject and it begins with a lot of PB blaster soaking up the studs. Do I need to have new studs on hand or can you reuse the old ones? If so, what brand do you folks recommend.

I've always been an SAE guy, but I've gone out and bought a lot of metric tools over the past six months, and also have a new Innovate LM-1 sitting in a box. Are there any special tools you would recommend? I think the only thing I haven't bought is Brian's WUR, and from reading Nathan and other folks, that's a strongly recommended item.

I would like to thank you all for your sage advice and input...and I will definitely be keeping the original equipment boxed up in order to either do a retro, or have it to go with the car should I elect to sell it.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, Keep us posted with PICS----Am I sensing another Purple Haze deal???Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

In my opinion, its whatever makes you feel the best. You've gotten both sides of the issue from a lot of very knowledgeable folks. Now, you have to ask yourself, "How long am I going to keep this car and do I want to keep it as an 'investment' ?", "What do I really want to do with the car? (Auto-X, DEs, Street, etc.)" and, "Why do I feel the car needs mods?" Truthfully answer those and do what the answer is. Either way, you're not wrong, and one of the greatest pleasures of owning a P-car is that fairly simply you can make it your own individual piece of art. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

srf506: You ask some very direct and relevant questions. Truth be known, my honest answer would have to be...... in the tradition of Sir Edmond Hillary..."because it's there". I don't intend to track it, or DE it or AutoX it. I intend to drive it and not worry about whether additional miles would detract from the value. I guess the main reason for doing this is would be ....like you said, for the sheer pleasure of making it your own individual piece of art. Over a year ago I started reading this forum....and it was right after I got the 996 and saw an 87 911 at "fasteddie99" house. I was smitten from the get-go with the history, style and presentation of the older air cooled cars. I found this car less that 3 miles from my house...almost like it was a message from the Porsche God to grab it, so I did.

Then I started reading about the performance enhancements some of you folks were making...and here I am at this juncture. But like I said earlier...I very seriously read and ingested all that has been said here, and after all the smoke has cleared.... I'm going to go ahead.

Question...Daley....What the heck is a "purple haze deal"? Is this something I'm getting into?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, check out the thread titled Purple Haze---what he did through the winter to his modified 930. Talk about mission creep--but amazing work done. Also, on my previous post I was attempting to allude to the fact that I have the bolt ons you mentioned(not Blown 6 but Kolken or Garrett) and now after it is working well and very dependable, I think that is it. It is fast beyond mere mortals etc. and I have had it up to 150 and either I need better aerodynamics or tire set up --but it is light and wandering--so more than that is for younger guys. Plus, when I wanted to twin plug it my guys said the same thing "don`t do it you already have what your looking for"---so I just enjoy it(on an everyday basis). 1 more thing : just from a looks standpoint these things are amazing(and mine isn`t even a slant)

Quick Reply: Need some input here...