911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Chet Masangcay has passed away.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Leti.

As you can see from all the different folks who have posted to the forum, Chet was very well liked and respected within the Porsche community. His contributions to the forums, and his constant willingness to help others made him stand out like a sunflower in a wheat field. He will truly be missed by all who knew him personally, or just through the forum discussions. Please accept the sincere sympathy and prayers from all his friends and acquaintances.

I was fortunate to have known Chet personally, and visited with him at the house in Tracy. I used to kid him about being the "biggest Filipino I've ever met". I was born and raised in the Philippines, so I knew by his name that he was of Filipino ancestry....but he couldn't speak Tagalog!

Chuck
Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Chuck. Too bad I was not into Porsches yet when I lived in the Sacramento area. I would certainly have liked to meet Chet in person as well. He had a connection with my car (my car has met him) and he was truly a pleasure to communicate with.

Leti, it was a nice surprise to see and read your post. To second Chuck above, you and Chet's family have the sincere and deepest sympathy from a lot of people here, even those of us who never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 PM
chet 77 930

Chuck,
I think everyone that I knew always joked around with him about being the "Biggest Filipino they knew". I must say he was the biggest 6'2 filipino with the BIGGEST HEART I knew. He will always be very special in my heart and will never be forgotten.

Olli,
I'm sure he would of loved to meet many of the porsche lovers that he spoke to thru the many porsche website he loved to go on.

May God Bless You All.......
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to accept the loss of one of us. God bless him, his children and family.

Keep us in the loop on the fund. Are all the boars contributing to the same one?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I will post the information when it is all secure.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Nena Garcia-Aguirre
1st Gear

As a member of the Garcia/Masangcay family I would like to thank you for all your kind words and prayers. Chets 3 children are doing as well as can be expected and are being well taken care of by family.
There are NOT plans to start any type of fund for the children and any information and request to do so has NOT been authorized by the family and will be turned over to the proper authorities fraud department. Chets sister unfortunantly passed away 5 years ago so I am unware of whom provided the misinformation.
Chet and his wife Diana were very proud and have adequately provided for their children in the event of their untimely death.
Please contact me directly should you have any questions or concerns-209-456-0676.
Thank You Again for all your thoughts and prayers.
Nena Garcia-Aguirre (The childrens Godmother)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I have contacted Nena rather than the person that I had been in contact orginally with. At the request of the family they have asked for us to donate to a charitable entity. Either Catholic Charities, a research fund for Valley Fever, etc.

Does anyone have any idea as a group what we might do?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Olli
Racer

A Research Fund for Valley Fever sounds appropriate. Did a search on Google but have no way of determining which one would have the greatest impact. Google most likely is not the best way of finding a charitable fund in any case.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

That was my dilemma as well. I was hopeing someone would have a suggestion.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure about the States, but here in Oz you can start a fund ( credit only, non debit account ) through the Public Trustee and anyone can contribute. The benefactors are those that are nominated on the trust and funds can be distributed at a predetermined age. This can be done without any permission whatsoever ( no disrespect to anyone ) as the funds are only available to the benefactors after the age of 21. So you could nominate them to receive the funds at, say, 25 etc. At fruition, the Governing body contacts the benefactors and lets them know that they have a tidy little sum with their name on it ready for them. I have heard of a similar situation and the benefactor received over AU$250,00, this was over a 20yr period. Interest accruing. Nice little jumpstart on home ownership etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Stephen,
Why not ask the family if they have a preference? Let them pick the research group/charity they feel most comfortable with, even if it takes them a little while to come out of the spin and get to think about it, and we all contribute in Chet's name to that one.

Just a suggestion.

Jim P.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I did as ask Nena that question last night. Her direct suggestion was what I posted. I am sure I speak for all of us when I say I would like to donate money to the organization that will benefit from it the most. What that is I am not sure.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Hang on. Let me ask an uncle. He's been battling Cocci (aka Valley Fever) for the last few years, so he might know re: charitable institutions.

Odd that this has come up for me, personally, right now. I've been looking at a couple job opportunities in California. One is in the central valley, where this is endemic. Maybe my job choice will be swayed by this kind of freaky disease.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
SEW QUIK
Intermediate

I do a lot of basic biomedical laboratory research, so I searched the web for coccidiomycosis (our medical term for valley fever) and the best that I could come up with this web page, which has two reputable links at the bottom for donations:

http://www.valleyfever.com/whatis.htm

I also looked at the progress that the Valley Fever Vaccine Project has made, and as a surgeon and a research scientist, I can tell you that they are doing reasonably well, as evidenced below, for those that are interested:

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102267871.html

I never met Chet, but I felt akin to him for the following perhaps strange reason. As I kept up online about how Chet was chatting about his EFI conversion (on the white 3.0 turbo I believe) and Stephen's comments about the ongoing work on his white turbo, I kept thinking about how my white 930 EFI conversion would be (being done now by Jerry Woods) and how Chet's impressions would be relevant to my own plans. As I was debating EFI vs. CIS (the endless debate), I remember wondering if I should call/email Chet about whether he had had second thoughts at the same point in his rebuild process. And now he is gone.

My condolences to his family and close friends. Please let me know if I can help in any other way with this donation project, and who I should contact for making my contribution.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Red Rocket
Instructor

It is hard to decide where the money should go, however I would rather have it go to the children if there is that need, which we don't know what his life insurance situation was, point being children if there is the need or charity if not.
We always think we have more time than we do, that's why it is so important to live each day to its fullest. I also enjoyed the post by Chet and just can't grasp this happening. After losing my wife to cancer at a young age I had 2 young girls to raise and it's not easy as a one parent household (girls are tough to raise). Count me in to any fund established.
Don

Quick Reply: Chet Masangcay has passed away.