Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Stopped dead at a stoplight....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007 | 10:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Default Stopped dead at a stoplight....

The weather is great, put the top down and took the 930 out for a drive. I was driving it slowly ithru the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd until it warmed up, then I took it out on the main drag and opened it up a bit. All was fine till I rolled up the the stoplight....and it quit absolutely dead.

I tried several times to start it...not even a sputter. Didn't want to grind it too much, so I had a couple guys help me push it around the corner and out of traffic.

After about 10 minutes, it started right up and ran like nothing ever happened...EXCEPT, there was no response from the accelerator pedal...the pedal springs back, but the engine only runs at idle speed. It feels like something might have broken along the line of the accelerator back to the engine.

Any thoughts? If it's linkeage related, is it something I can get to relatively easy, or will I need to be able to get under the car to get to it? I was told that the accelerator doesn't just run from the pedadl thru a cable back to the engine....and that there are a number of linkeage points along the way....

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-24-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2007 | 12:21 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be the fuel pump relay/s. Check the two round relays in the fuse panel, that are closest to the drivers compartment. Many times a loose/melted relay socket is the culprit. When the ignition is on can you hear both fuel pumps? I'm wonder whether your lack of throttle response is actually due to a lack of sufficient fuel pressure.
Old 04-24-2007 | 12:58 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck,
You can check the throttle cable by getting under the transmission area and watching as someone inside the car presses the pedal down. If it is working the cable and throttle arm will move back and forth. It is on the drivers side of the tranny. If it is loose, it could be the little clip that holds the cable into the arm. It goes through the connectior and then swings up to clamp around the cable itself. It will be easy to see if the arm moves. If that is not the problem, figure on a socket or pin disconnect somewhere in the relays. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 04-24-2007 | 02:03 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

You might be best just to remove the IC and then you should be able to see if the throttle body is opening while an assistant pushes the pedal inside the car. Something has probably fell off or broken somewhere.
Old 04-24-2007 | 03:56 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

it could be as simple as a vacuum leak. check the seal at the throttle body/IC.
Old 04-24-2007 | 04:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Nathan and Rudy: You were both right...I was a bit rattled since it died in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in my area...so I just had AAA tow it to the indy's shop rather than fool around with it.

It turns out that it was a piece of throttle linkeage about 6 inches long, with a ball socket on one end and a turnbuckle-type adjustment on the other...worn out. When it fell off, I had no throttle, so it died when I came to a stop, and wouldn't start right away, and when it finally did, it would run only at idle speed. They had to order another one from Germany...and said it would be about 10 days to get it.....that is unless one of you fine gentlemen happens to have a spare I could buy....however I don't imagine that's the sort of thing one would have lying about.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions....in the end, VISA came to the rescue as it so often does in these matters.

Regards, Chuck
Old 04-24-2007 | 06:09 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

It's annoying that a small part like that is so important. At least it was a cheap repair though.
Old 04-24-2007 | 09:15 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Glad it was a small part and not something big. Times like that give you the ******.
Old 04-25-2007 | 12:03 PM
strudel
Racer

There's a throttle cable coupler between the bell crank and where the cable exits the body. It will have an accordian rubber sleeve from the car body to the back of the can, and is above the front trans mount. When the old original ones seperate, your done. The newer ones are in a tin can housing so if and when they go the cable doesn't totally seperate. They're about $25.00 and if you haven't replaced the original one you should.
Old 04-26-2007 | 01:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm trying to conjure up an image of your description...but I'm drawing a blank....is there a picture somewhere I might be able to see? I recall seeing a black rubber accordian sleeve under the car...but it was on the clutch cable...and it was in pieces.

You said..."rubber sleeve form the car body back to the back of the can".....is this under the car or in the engine compartment. As I understand it, there are about three different junctions the throttle cable has in it on its way from the pedal back to the engine.

It sounds like I need to order the "tin can" and replace the worn parts. If this section wore out, there are probably other sections in need of replacement.
Old 04-26-2007 | 02:57 AM
strudel
Racer

Maybe someone can post a diagram from a PET page.
All this is under the car. On the drivers side of the trans you'll see a bell crank with two throttle rods attached. One runs back to the engine. The other one runs forward through the body. If you follow the one running forward you'll find the coupler above the front trans mount (not very easy to see or to get to). That coupler (old style) is what fails.
You have the throttle rod that goes from the gas pedal to the coupler. A rod that goes from the coupler to the bell crank on the trans, and a rod that runs from the bell crank into the engine compartment Other than that coupler failing there isn't much else to replace. The ball sockets at the end of the rods should be greased, but that's about it.
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:46 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Strudle: That explanation helps quite a bit....I think I can print this out and get under there and figure it out. Thanks for the detailed instructions. What's the nomenclature of the part in the "tin can" that I need to replace?? The one you said was around $25....
Old 04-26-2007 | 12:00 PM
strudel
Racer

Throttle cable coupler.
Old 04-26-2007 | 01:38 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck,
When you go to remove the ball coupler locking pin, be careful because it goes up and around the throttle rod. If you can picture an "L" wire with a "U" on the long end of the "L", then you will see what I mean. The "U" shaped piece must be pryed off of the rod before you can remove the pin or "L" end going through the ball.
Old 04-26-2007 | 07:06 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Stopped dead at a stoplight....