Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve brand differences

Hey guys,

TRW valves are generally the ones used in our engines as replacements, and are sodium filled.

I was approached about installing InterValves brand valves in my engine while the heads are off the engine. These are not sodium filled.

Has anyone used InterValves and had success with them?

Personally, I think I'm gonna stick with the TRW, since they are a known commodity to me, but just wanted to hear if anyone else has used the InterValves brand units and how well they've worked out...

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I run aftermarket stainless steel valves that are not sodium filled in the heads that I do. The valves I use flow better than a stock or TRW valve on a Superflow SF600 due to the profile and the finish on the back side. I am seeing good wear on the valves and valve guides so far and will not go back to the TRW or stock valves or valve guides. I have no experience with the InterValves brand though.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm running pretty much a stock head, nothing fancy. Just an opened intake port.

With your non-sodium filled valves do you see any differences from a heat standpoint, at the exhaust valve level? Any different signs of heat on a non-sodium filled valve vs a filled one?

Brian
Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most aftermarket Valves made in the US or in other countries except China, will have far better material to heat control than the old style sodium filled types. The new Super Alloys are very common in most high performance engines other than Titanium. Go for these. Not sure about the brand you mention. Call a well respected engine builder and ask him to supply what they use.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

What is the cost difference? The sodium filled stock stuff has been around a lot of years and miles. Are we talking about real gains, or is it "just a good upgrade". I am also at that point where I can change the valves/guides easily, but not sure if the cost increase is really worth the performance gain for a street/DE (not race) motor. Is there a "compelling" argument for the new stuff?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

for the ones that were recommended to me, the TRW valves are more expensive.

I know price doesn't mean quality all the time, but I simply felt more comfortable with the TRWs since that is what I have used previously.

Brian
Old 04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I run aftermarket stainless steel valves that are not sodium filled in the heads that I do. The valves I use flow better than a stock or TRW valve on a Superflow SF600 due to the profile and the finish on the back side. I am seeing good wear on the valves and valve guides so far and will not go back to the TRW or stock valves or valve guides. I have no experience with the InterValves brand though.
Well now you have our interest......What brand name are you using???
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would expect that most aftermart Valvea are of common brand. Its best to ask your engine builder or one of quality what they use and if they will supply their valves for your use. The shape of the valve reaaly helps with the flow. I would expect the sodium filled ones all come with a standard shape. The ones I have seen do not work well in these 2V Porsche heads. The size of the valve changes the back side shape as well. This is why, it would be best to ask someone who builds these Heads what to use. I am sure they will supply the Valves you need. To expect them to tell you may be a stretch as they ahve spennt many hours finding out what works best. Look at the diffrent Valve manufacturers and see what they offer. You may not see a Porsche valve as most supply blanks where the valves are finished to size, length, and groove type and position.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I called my machine shop today and asked them their opinion. Since they make their own SS valves for race applications (diameter, stem size, etc), they recommended I stay with the stock stuff since the extra cost really doesn't justify any improvement in performance for my mostly street machine. He did say that they are experimenting with custom 7mm and 8mm stemmed SS valves in NA porsche and bmw motors with great results on the bench and dyno.

Quick Reply: Valve brand differences