911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

list for EFI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"At some point the idle begins to degrade as the injector size grows."

Old myth that applies to ECUs that have poor injector control. Most good quality ECUs will be able to control injector pulsewidth down to about .7ms. I have used 82lb/hr injectors with a steady idle on a turbo engine, and I have used 2 160lb/hr injectors PER cylinder on a methanol 2.0l Honda engine, and it idled at 800rpm. This was with a MoTeC ECU.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=315s]Ton of patience
Endless tuning
Bags of money
Innovative spirit to deal with the confusing BS that comes up

What He said!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Geoffrey,
What Wideband meter set up would you recomend with my Haltech E11V2.
and could I use an AAV and which one ,to help with cold warmup and idle?
Final tunning under way finally!
Thanks
Elliot
Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 PM
chet 77 930

Having done the EFI conversion recently, I can say that there is some truth to EVERYTHING said so far. I've been lucky enough to figure out most of the system, conversion etc etc and make whatever adjustments I prefer(fine tuning it so to speak).
To date the system has my motor running a little better overall with virtually no stinkin watery eyed fumes coming out of the exhaust at the wrong time and great gas mileage not to mention a great instant AFR when its needed. I got around 28 miles (maybe a little more) to the gallon average cruising at speeds of about 80 to 90 mph on a 400 mile trip I took last weekend. Would I do it again? It depends.........but yes more than likely. And I would also change a few things in the process too.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chet did you decide to keep the car?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Elliot, I always recommend the MoTeC PLM, but it is a little pricy. With that said, Haltech has a wide band meter and logger that will work with one of your inputs and you may consider that.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

"At some point the idle begins to degrade as the injector size grows."
"Old myth that applies to ECUs that have poor injector control. Most good quality ECUs will be able to control injector pulsewidth down to about .7ms. I have used 82lb/hr injectors with a steady idle on a turbo engine, and I have used 2 160lb/hr injectors PER cylinder on a methanol 2.0l Honda engine, and it idled at 800rpm. This was with a MoTeC ECU."

Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it. This discussion is pointless if money, including tuning hours, are no object. Tuners do this for a living, hobbyists do not. Compromises will be made and potential compromises need to be discussed.

Which ECU will allow the 550HP goal with good driveabiliy for the best price? What are the limits of the chosen ECU? Haltech has been mensioned as a viable consideration. How does it stack up in price vs performance as compared to others? What are its limits? Will it take an unreasonable amount of tuning $$$ to get it running well as compared to more expensive units?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM
chet 77 930

Chet did you decide to keep the car?
I only put the car up for sale in a very limited matter back in January. No takers as I expected. However, I had a nice break for once in the last month with my overall schedeule that now allows me to spend a little more time for myself without sacraficing my time with my boys. Looks like a long term fix so I think I can answer with a yes! I see you're still waiting for yours? I know the feeling but it is worth the wait in the end.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by chet 77 930
... However, I had a nice break for once in the last month with my overall schedeule that now allows me to spend a little more time for myself without sacraficing my time with my boys. Looks like a long term fix so I think I can answer with a yes! ...
Great news
Old 04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Chet glad to know you are still enjoying the car and balancing your life with your boys.

Quick Reply: list for EFI conversion