911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Key removed car still runs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key removed car still runs!!!

Today I stopped to pick up some food and when I shut the car off and removed the key it kept running. Several attempts to reinsert the key and turn it to the off position did nothing, the car kept running. I could shut the accesories on and off but the car still ran. I had to go inside and pick up the food while my 10 year old daughter eyed the car from the restraunt window. I told her to shout if anyone touched the car.. and then cover her ears so the gunshots wouldn't damage her hearing

I called my mechanic and asked him what he thought, and after we talked, I figured I'd go home and pull the relays for the fuel pumps once I got in the garage. About 1/4 of the way home I noticed that putting the wipers on (the ran real slow??) made the tach fly up about 2,000 rpm. I got to thinking that this is electrical and that maybe the heat, which I had on (and hadn't tried in awhile) might be the cause. I shut the heat and after about 20 seconds the car lost power and died...no fuel, the car was still in the off position. I fired her right up and went home and she shut off. It appears that electrical connections in the heat controls were was the culprit.

Any thoughts??? Do I have a melted wire or short??? Everything seems normal, good power, smooth running, good lights, all accessories function, fanbelt in place..etc.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:08 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the ignition relay in the rear. They can stick on or off. It is the long relay screwed in the back. You can also trace it by reading the back fuse panel cover. I would unplug it then plug it back in and trace it with a meter to see if it is hot without the key on.

Other single issue to cause this? The alternator diode in the dash. Behind the gauges on the alt light line is a inline diode. Check it. Start the car and shut it off. As it continues to run, pull the diode apart. If the car stops then you got it.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I love Rennlist.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Think I will bookmark this post!!

"Key removed car still runs!!!" in California, this is called a stolen car j/k
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Also, if the complete diode tree in the alt. went bad(unlikely) the car would continue to run. If it does it again, you should check to see if you have alt voltage at the blue wire hooked to the light in the dash. If you do and the diode Stephen is refering to is good then you will have an alt. problem. And, I guess we shouldn't rule out the obvious electrical part of the ignition switch...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Thanks everyone, I will check and post the results in a few days

Quick Reply: Key removed car still runs!!!