911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo Cabriolet Questions/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Turbo Cabriolet Questions/Discussion

I presently own a 996 Turbo, so as the bitter myopic 993 crowd says….I’m looking for my first Porsche

I’d like to get a second car for weekend duty that has already run out of depreciation. I’d like something with the following attributes:

Able to be worked on at home (no extensive electronics)
Availability of reasonably priced parts (no Ferrari)
Is, or can be made at least reasonably fast for highway driving
Convertible
Fairly reliable for its age
Fairly rare……just something you wouldn’t see another one of every week
Would like something with value appreciation potential, so maintenance performed or small projects (ie interior restoration) won’t be automatically tossed down the drain

My budget is $35k (have about $33k right now). The cars on my short list are:

1987-1988 930 Turbo Cabriolet (don’t want to pay the 5 speed premium)
1963-1964 Corvette (don’t want to pay the disc brake premium)
1993-1995 Viper

First, if anyone has any more car suggestions, I’d like to hear them. Secondly, is my budget right for a driver mileage decent condition Turbo Cab? I have been watching ebay and autotrader, any other good sources to locate the 800-900 cars imported to the US?

How have prices on these changed in the past 5 years, and what are your guesses for value over the next 5 to 10 years?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I`ll weigh in here. I have a 4 speed 88 and have never wished for a 5 speed. Do not consider the Vette until you drive one,they seemed so great then, now less than acceptable. Also to bring that car up to current suspension specs is very expensive(please note the latest BJ auction). I liked the early Vipers too and generally there is not much wear and tear since the engine is such an enormous thing but I decided to take a pass.
I have had my car for 3 years and it has been the most fun of any car I have ever owned without question. It is very fast(in a bad boy way). It corners like no other and is still kind of rudimentary and light so it is just good news. You can not fill it up or even stop at a light without getting compliments and questions. Kind of a Hot Rod in a sense. You can make them go much faster but at some point you realize the point of no return has been met so just enjoy.
I follow the car market and sometimes advise at auctions and I think this car is remarkably underpriced. Remember for 5 years they were only brought in on the gray market and really how many were available for that? They were made for a long time but very slowly (by hand really) and improvements were make every year. They are iconic . Nothing can match the look. They are dependable and they do not mind rumbling around town. But, they are better driven than left in the garage. Good Luck, and keep us posted. This Board is a fantastic source of info.

Quick Reply: Turbo Cabriolet Questions/Discussion