911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

electromotive distributorless ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electromotive distributorless ignition system

Has anyone installed one of these systems, or looked into it? My mechanic likes them. The electromotive system uses coils to produce a direct charge to the spark plugs with no distributor or points at all. The spark is about ten times longer in duration than from a standard CD unit, and the timing is accurate to 1/4 degree. Set it and forget it.

What I am wondering is if this longer spark helps compensate for not having Twin plug ignition setup. Also how much horsepower can be gained from a longer burning spark.

And if anyone has tried the setup or knows much about it, are there advantages to playing with the advance curve. I would like low end power. Does the timing curve make much difference in this regard?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"What I am wondering is if this longer spark helps compensate for not having Twin plug ignition setup. "

No ignition system is going to compensate for the fact that the 930 has a hemi head with the sparkplug located on one side with a flat top piston with not provisions for a squish area. Twin plug is a must for achieving peak power.

Most power gains are from having optimal timing at all operating conditions throughout the entire RPM range. The stock mechanical advance is not going to give you that.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

I had installed the Electromotive HPV-1 in my 930. It is single plug. I LOVED it. The exhaust note sounded better than stock, and I swear I could feel a difference (butt dyno). I did not dyno it, so I have no idea if it did gain any HP. I would not hesitate again to buy the HPV-1, BUT and I stress but..... I have heard horror stories about the TEC-2 and the TEC-3 on turbo cars. IMHO, I would stay away from the TEC series on a 930 motor. I have also been told that the older HPV-1 units are much better than the new stuff that is coming out from the company. With that being said, if you want to call me, I can talk you through it...

BTW, I still have my HPV-1 and it is for sale as I am going full EFI, so I will not be needing it anymore...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Toyota racing making a multiple coil system(one for each plug) for one of their racing teams(I seem to remember Baja racers) that has been effectively used on non Turbo track Porsches??
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
I had installed the Electromotive HPV-1 in my 930. It is single plug. I LOVED it. The exhaust note sounded better than stock, and I swear I could feel a difference (butt dyno). I did not dyno it, so I have no idea if it did gain any HP. I would not hesitate again to buy the HPV-1, BUT and I stress but..... I have heard horror stories about the TEC-2 and the TEC-3 on turbo cars. IMHO, I would stay away from the TEC series on a 930 motor. I have also been told that the older HPV-1 units are much better than the new stuff that is coming out from the company. With that being said, if you want to call me, I can talk you through it...

BTW, I still have my HPV-1 and it is for sale as I am going full EFI, so I will not be needing it anymore...
I sent you a regular e-mail.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

COP (coil-on-plug) is nothing unusual.
I have installed them onto several cars and they're great: no spark plug wires, clean look etc. But they require standalone engine management and one has to choose really carefully what coil to use, they have vastly diferent output characteristics.
As far as TEC EMS, TEC2 is NOT suitable for turbocharged cars, TEC3 is but I heard also some of it's flaws.
Best ign. for 911 is twin-plug with COP's, that enables fully sequential ign. and individual cylinder trim plus overcome of the big combustion chamber design that requires two plugs to compensate flame speed.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

"Best ign. for 911 is twin-plug with COP's,"

As long as you choose performance coil per plug from a racing ignition system, I might agree with that. The factory COP setups are small and weak inductive style ignition. I would rather run a dual distributor with CDI than an OEM factory COP.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
.....As long as you choose performance coil per plug from a racing ignition system, I might agree with that. The factory COP setups are small and weak inductive style ignition. I would rather run a dual distributor with CDI than an OEM factory COP....
Any recommendations regarding brand of coil? I am going through an M48 conversion with my complete rebuild at this time and the plan is to use densos, but it is not too late to consider other options.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The Denso 580 coils from the LS1?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Olli
Racer

The Denso 580 coils from the LS1?
The coils are sold by Motec and I believe the part number would be MDEN-580.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

They will work fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Olli
Racer

They will work fine.
Thanks Geoffrey
Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

There are some OEM coils that work, but cheap ones have usually weak secondary coil output. And most suitable OEM ones are passive type, not active.

One type of coils that are powerful enough are VAG early 1,8T passive ones (w/ 3 wires, without internal switching circuitry). They are good enough for 150hp per cylinder but are bit uncomfortable to mount because of their shape.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:13 PM
Niko Arg
3rd Gear

Hi, i know this is an old post. I was wondering if you have the HPV-1 available. I have had mine in my car for years and it has burnt out on me. Called up Electromotive and asked if they can repair it and was told they do not. So i have been trying to find one. Any information would be Great. Did you ever get to EFI your car? All the Best, and thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nick
Old 12-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Niko Arg
3rd Gear

i know this is an old thread, but do you still have the hpv-1 for sale? mine is no longer working and electromotive company said they dont repair them anymore.

Regards,

Nick

Quick Reply: electromotive distributorless ignition system