Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Another EFI conversion complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006 | 12:32 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Default Another EFI conversion complete

Here is Chet’s car. We have finally finished all of his conversion and the tuning. I have a few more tid bits to finish like the cold start and drivability and that’s it. Car made 430HP and 395 TQ. This is a 3.0 folks!! Some one tell him though he needs headers!!! Sheez.

My son uh..I mean our service advisor said throttle response was non-existent. He was not pleased. I then reminded him that his feet wouldn't reach the pedals. So he thought the seats were cool and made a good photo opt which in his eyes was as good as the throttle response
Attached Images     
Old 11-28-2006 | 02:03 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Got dynograph? With AFR and boost?......please
Old 11-28-2006 | 02:43 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Nice! Are those RWHP figures?
Old 11-28-2006 | 09:33 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes. I will post dynos later. I have to pull them off the dyno.
Old 11-28-2006 | 09:44 AM
sand_man
Drifting

VERY nice, Stephen!

Chet, YOU NEED HEADERS...
Old 11-28-2006 | 01:08 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I HEAR YA! But the great state of California thinks otherwise......
Old 11-28-2006 | 04:38 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doc, I'm intrigued by EFI like most of us, but I was wondering what is a non-graduate from EFI school supposed to do when we get the beast home and develop a software problem? I remember a hybrid kit car I built that I developed engine/ignition problems on and a mech telling me he had done all he could and that I needed to take it back to the original builder. This won't be possible with your set up so what is the alternative? Also, do all of your clients learn from you how to diagnose problems on their laptops? I love the thought of new technology and the control of so many inputs but I don't want to be a slave to my car.
Old 11-28-2006 | 08:11 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Doc, I'm intrigued by EFI like most of us, but I was wondering what is a non-graduate from EFI school supposed to do when we get the beast home and develop a software problem? I remember a hybrid kit car I built that I developed engine/ignition problems on and a mech telling me he had done all he could and that I needed to take it back to the original builder. This won't be possible with your set up so what is the alternative? Also, do all of your clients learn from you how to diagnose problems on their laptops? I love the thought of new technology and the control of so many inputs but I don't want to be a slave to my car.

I take it that most EFI undergrads all have fuel pressure test kits in their garage to plug in an diagnose the K-Jet?

Given the quality of most modern engine management systems I seriously doubt that you will have reliability issues provided the installation and mapping is done to a high standard. From what I can see of Stephen's work I doubt that this will be a problem, therefore the only potential issues will be with ancilliary items like sensors, but diagnosis of these is possible using conventional garage equipment and inexpensive meters.
Old 11-28-2006 | 08:43 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911rudy
If you do suffer a failure, I think most ECU's allow you to log the car running, then you could e-mail that log to your tuner.

Dean
Old 11-28-2006 | 11:28 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes, it is not like I hand you the car and say see ya. The ECU has a error light and will flash when there is an issue. The system we use will actually flash the code. You simply get into the ECU via a serial cord and computer. Log in, look at the errors. Actually it will scream them at you when you go to the open screen. Everything in error flashes at the top of the screen in red.

You should not have to make any adjustments unless something is very out of adjustment before hand. The system will adjust on various sensors and keep it self in check.
Old 11-29-2006 | 01:45 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

so is it a bolt on yet or do we still have to send you the whole car? If I were say making a road trip to the west coast and wanted to stop by and have it swicthed how many days would I have to stay in town?I already have the ssc cams and k27hfs turbo and andial intercooler.
Old 11-29-2006 | 02:33 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

I have to vote for EFI here.
There's absolutely no real ground on guesses that suspect EFI to be more vulnerable than K-Jet or carbs. Actually it's much more bullet-proof. Having converted numerous Porsches to standalone EFI (924's, 928's, 951's, 911's) they never had any issue with them related to ECU/wiring/sensors. They are daily drivers that see some heavy track days. And mind you, we have winters here that you can call winters (up to 6 months of snow with -30 Celsius). Tuning has to be done completely so that the car starts instantly in ALL weather conditions.

And it all comes down to wiring. Crappy crimping, lousy wires, poor ground connections all are leading to unwanted things that usually show themselves in the worst weather conditions (you know Murphys Law's).
And with EFI one can get rid of all this dreaded K-Jet stuff and gain some nice room in the engine compartement.
Happy EFI'ing!
Old 11-29-2006 | 03:09 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I wholeheartedly agree that modern EFI is the way to go. If you notice, almost all of the proponents of older stuff like the Bosch Motronic, CIS, etc typically tend to be tuners of those types of systems. There's nothing wrong with those setups either, and they can work just fine, though a good modern EFI is superior IMO. Most modern EFI systems tend to be made with superior materials, faster processors, and have far more advanced tuning capabilities so technically they can only be better when tuned properly. Yay for technology!

Good job Stephen! It's nice to see more of our cars using more modern technology.
Old 11-29-2006 | 10:05 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Now if I could just afford it after my reuild....
Old 11-29-2006 | 10:28 AM
Bruce M.
Instructor

I think Stephen and Imagine are great, but saying that an EFI system is dialed in, except for "cold start and driveability issues", is like saying "we're having bacon and eggs for breakfast, but I still have to go get me a chicken to lay the eggs". Cold start and driveability are the two hardest things to get right in an EFI install. They sure were in mine.

Quick Reply: Another EFI conversion complete