911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

KEEP YOUR PORSCHES LOCKED AWAY

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM
NISL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
How would you feel if it was your son or daughter's picture posted on the internet from now until eternity?
Initially sad, but if photos of my daughters death could convince just one person from street racing, driving above their limits or from driving distracted, I would be OK with it.
I think these types of photos should be shown in every Drivers Ed course. Too many teens come out of the class thinking the world is like the game Need for Speed. I was the same way, except it was "Pole Position" on the Atari.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:29 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

^I agree. When people see what could happen to them, they may be a little more careful/responsible

Christian
Old 11-26-2006, 09:02 PM
SoFast
Racer

I most certainly agree. If I knew these photos saved another persons life, I would want them to be published on numerous sites. I am sorry this happened to their family and wish them my sincerest condolences. A life lost and a family turned upside down.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
hailwood
Instructor

"This is a stark reminder just what our cars can do to us in a short amount of time."

I call BS on this whole discussion. This is a reminder what you can do to yourself. No one is making you break the speed limit and you are the only one pushing the gas pedal, so what does this have to do with a car?

Take it from someone who has gone 185mph on public hwy's that it can only be our fault. not the person who did not see you, or misjudged your approach because you were going three times as fast as you should have been!

save the stupidity for the track and always remember you are the one with your foot on the pedal. I have two daughters and i own a Ducati dealership.....believe me i am scared for the day they start riding and driving but i will teach them well and they will learn to respect the machines.

those pictures have no place in a school, nor on the internet with out permission of the parents/significant others. really sad people feel the need to take photos like that and put them on the net at all. I witnessed a fatal accident like that once a few years ago. i was coming home from work and all of the sudden the car 100 yards in front of me exploded! a youg girl in the north bound side crossed the grass at 70+mph head on into a small suv also going 70+mph. i was the first car on the scene (because it was right there, i am not an emt or anything like that). no one survived it was as bad as the pictures that were posted. i never wanted to see that again.

so becareful out there and teach your kids well. i learned to drive stick on my dads 1983 930 and i have always respected the machines because i learned early on the they will beat you if not treated well!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Young drunk and stupid isn't the same as older sober and experienced.
I'll keep driving my car the way I do now.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
RSA333
Racer

Hailwood-

I agree with your general observations. However, those of us who work with trauma cases every single day, know the importance of showing the consequences of extremely risky behavior. We call motorcycles "donor cycles".

This may sound harsh and unsettling, but so is seeing the results of teenagers involved in car crashes. My son will be getting driving education in spades, and he will see the consequences of risky behavior.

Thanks - Gerry
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

"Take it from someone who has gone 185mph on public hwy's"

If you've done that your a idiot and a danger to other road users.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
We call motorcycles "donor cycles".

Thanks - Gerry
I agree totally, I used to ride crotch rockets (all I did was stunts) but stopped becuase of too many near misses and a friend of a friend who got killed by a hit and run.

Hailwood - how could you let your daughters ride motorcycles, that is a death sentence. Of course I am assuming they will be on Ducattis (beautiful underpowered machines). Not that it matters but if I had children, there would be no way in heck I would ever let them ride. You are already expressing concern for your daughters safety, almost if you are excepting there fate.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Every teenager should have to drive a Suzuki Samauri JX like I did. About 55hp and four gears. Would do 75mph with a good tailwind and a 5 degree downhill grade.

Ive refused to click on those gore links though. Im still tainted from watching that briar squeeze a veritable tumor outta his *** cheek.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
SoFast
Racer

My father gave me a Plymouth Horizon to drive. Maybe 75 if the planets were aligned. I am sorry to say that back then, I was stupid. i thought I was invincible. The need for speed was great and I never knew the reality of my actions or what they might be able to do to others. When ever I had the chance to get in a fast car, it was all about pushing the limts. Now, with hind sight being 20/20, I wish I had been schooled in the dangers of wreckless behavior. Pictures like this would hopefully have some effect on youth. That is why the scared straight program is effective in our jail system with the youths. Give them a dose of something they have no perception of.

BTW, I owned a crotch rocket when I was 20. Twice I almost lost my life. I will never go back to a cycle ever again. They are so much fun to drive, but no one sees you. I will never let my children ride motorcycles and will scare them straight if I have the opportunity.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 AM
hailwood
Instructor

"If you've done that your a idiot and a danger to other road users"

why, this is very common on the AUTOBAHN! i have driven a lot in europe and other parts of the world where there are no speed limits.

and as for my girls, they will start out on small dirt bikes and then move to street oriented bikes if they even want to ride. i hope they do as it would be something we could do together.

i hope they get interested in the track and not street riding, but i will encourage any interest of theirs be it boys, bikes, dancing, education, what ever.

DeWolf, i feel sorry for you that you will not be able to trust your children and will always have to worry about where your keys are. the fact is they are in more danger at home alone then driving your car. more kids die evey year from starting unintentional fires in the house from cooking or mischevious behaviour then joy riding in daddys car.

it is with some humor that i write this so dont get all tough and huffy! you have to trust you parenting skills and let your children blossom into the beautiful little beings that they are and will become. you cant lock them away in a safe place, you can only teach them well and hope for the best. if you think you have any control over the situation you are a fool.

the one thing that taught me respect for motor vehicles was being exposed to them at a young age. my dad taught me to drive stick shift on his 84 930 when i was 13 yrs old. believe me by the time i was a proficient driver i was well aware of what that car was capable of!!!!

i also would have never dreamed of taking out any of my dads cars with out permission and they keys were always hanging right next to the garage door. i guess it is just how i was raised. with respect and good morales.

Last edited by hailwood; 12-01-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Hailwood,
By implying that it's safe to do 185mph on the Autobahn confirms my statement, your an idiot. As for trusting my children, I do so implicitly, but that does'nt mean I should be complacent.
You certainly are'nt Hailwood are you. Wishfull thinking.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is important for new drivers (and adults) to see the real world consequences -- like in these photos -- of doing something stupid in a car. We are normally very insulated from this graphic and real type of information. People think with air bags, ABS, and all the other safey equipment in cars today that they can't be hurt in ANY type of accident. These images show the truth and make an impact people remember. Not only can you do this to yourself, but you might have to live with knowing you casued it to happen to someone else. New drivers need to know about the REAL world. Unlike PC games, the car doesn't hop back on the road after an accident.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
I think it is important for new drivers (and adults) to see the real world consequences -- like in these photos -- of doing something stupid in a car. We are normally very insulated from this graphic and real type of information. People think with air bags, ABS, and all the other safey equipment in cars today that they can't be hurt in ANY type of accident. These images show the truth and make an impact people remember. Not only can you do this to yourself, but you might have to live with knowing you casued it to happen to someone else. New drivers need to know about the REAL world. Unlike PC games, the car doesn't hop back on the road after an accident.
VERY well said. I, like most people on this board, consider myself to be a pretty good driver, no Michael Schumacher, but above average. Like mose good drivers, there have been times when physics has caught up to me and scared me straight. Unfortunately when we are young we do think we are invincible. Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes we don't.

I think far too many people don't realize that it only takes an instant for things to get out of hand in an automobile, and then your life and the lives of others are changed forever.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cajun
VERY well said. I, like most people on this board, consider myself to be a pretty good driver, no Michael Schumacher, but above average. Like mose good drivers, there have been times when physics has caught up to me and scared me straight. Unfortunately when we are young we do think we are invincible. Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes we don't.

I think far too many people don't realize that it only takes an instant for things to get out of hand in an automobile, and then your life and the lives of others are changed forever.
Also well said, The great Sir Frank Williams springs to mind. A great driver but speed caught up with him to.

Quick Reply: KEEP YOUR PORSCHES LOCKED AWAY