911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Strut Braces

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:31 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Braces

Has anyone put a strut brace on their 84 - 89 series 930? If so would you be so kind as to tell me the brand, is it triangulated or not, and what, if any, improvement it made and if you think it was a good investment?

Anyone ever seen, or have, one for the rear struts that would fit our vehicles? Seems to me if they work in the front they'd work in the rear too.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jim Parker
"Stock" '85 Euro 930
Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Weltmeister (the bottom feeder of after market parts...) and and haven't noticed a huge difference with it on the track. But then again, I guess it's not hurting it either.

For the street, you would get nothing. It's not triangulated either. The only onee that I recall being triangulated was from... the place in New York that sells Kokeln, Safety Devices, etc.

Stable Energies maybe?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

I installed a Rennline triangulated strut brace in my 930. I don't track the car but installed it to just further stiffen the chassis. I think it quieted the little jiggles I used to feel. I have my car on the market now so have returned it to complete stock and the brace is now removed. I haven't driven the car much since but the change after removal did not seem dramatic. Overall, I still think it benefits the car -- definitely doesn't hurt. I think the Rennline brace is good looking too.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Rocket. That's kind of what I was thinking but thought I'd try to get an "experienced POV.
John, where did the triangulation connect? Did you have to drill any holes or weld to put it in?
TIA again,
Jim P.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 87 cab and I installed a strut brace....I can definitely tell the difference when I back out of the garage and over the curb. It seem to flex less than it did before. Bought mine off eBay. I can't say I notice much when driving it on twisting roads.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

srf506,

The Rennline traingulated strut brace is a very nice install -- no cutting or drilling, I would NEVER do that! All bolt on and very precision parts. Check this URL for a description: http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/112

I can't believe I don't have any pics of the brace installed WITHOUT the carpeting, but apparently I don't. The following pics are from the Rennline website.

Enjoy!
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 PM
DDD
Pro

If you check out the Pelican Parts website, you will find that both Weltmeister and Elephant Racing make regular and triangulated strut braces, and the elephant brace is hollow aluminum and weighs all of 3 pounds.

The guy at my shop says he recommends triangulated. He likes them, not so much for better performance but possibly on the road to just tie your front end together a bit, as if you had a front firewall. I'm gonna get an elephant if I get a brace.

If you get in an accident, it can further damage your front end a little. But might as well total your car anyway, if you are going to bang it up.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
DDD
Pro

QUESTION: Do Strut Braces make a lot of noise? I've heard that they creak and groan a little bit. Do they make the front end noisier?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner had just installed one on mine. It's not the triangular version. Since it's always been there (since I've owned the car), I can't discuss the differences. I'll take a picture tonight...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I just bought a WEVO with the camber king I can't provide any input yet.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM
JFairman
Racer

There is no front complete bulkhead/firewall in a 911 so it seems they would be a good thing for stiffening up the chassis.

Another nice thing about them, is that if you carry a hard case of some sort up front you can tie it or bungie cord it to the stress bar to keep it from flying forward under hard braking and possibly denting the hood from the inside.

The single cross bar type hardly takes away from the trunkspace.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jastx
Jim,

I installed a Rennline triangulated strut brace in my 930. I don't track the car but installed it to just further stiffen the chassis. I think it quieted the little jiggles I used to feel. I have my car on the market now so have returned it to complete stock and the brace is now removed. I haven't driven the car much since but the change after removal did not seem dramatic. Overall, I still think it benefits the car -- definitely doesn't hurt. I think the Rennline brace is good looking too.
Jastx,

Do you want to sell the Rennline brace?

my email is jculpjr@yahoo.com
Old 11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

A strut bar, triangulated or not, is going to provide a minimal improvement at best IMO. I'd say a strut bar is about the last thing to do (and even then it's not necessary) after shocks/struts/sways/etc. You might notice a little more of an improvement on a 911 with TB's removed and converted to coilovers without any chassis reinforcement. Also, the most expensive strut bar is only going to function as well as the cheapest one(relatively speaking, not talking semantics here). You're putting a piece of metal between 2 spots and it isn't structurally vital (like a roll cage), so the composition and/or design of that piece of metal doesn't really matter. If you're really looking for worthwhile chassis reinforcement, do a roll cage. If you just want the looks or to do it for the hell of it, there's nothing wrong with that either.

That being said, I had a KLA strut brace on my Carrera. I'd equate the difference felt to that of putting new sway bar bushings on a car with really worn bushings. You can feel a slight improvement (mainly on turn in, slightly less flex), but it's nothing like putting new shocks/struts on a car with blown ones or anything more noticeable like that IMO.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
sand_man
Drifting

As promised, here are some pics. I'm not sure what brand it is...I'd have to look at some receipts.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have one on my car because it has coil overs and I felt that there was not enough stiffness because of the lack of "Body" or structure around the top of the strut. It was not there when I bought the car and I do feel that it reduces that slight momentary flex when a hard turn is initiated. It has not spoken to me yet. I think if you look at the physics of the car then it should be obvious that there would be some sort of stiffening and resistance for the strut under load to deflect inwards. The triangulated one would be the most effieient but even the one bar like mine should offer some improvement. I noticed that the one bar unit pictured above bolts to only one of the strut bolts where as mine surrounds the top nut and uses all of the nuts for greater rigidity. But its sort of like the "Big Red" brake upgrade, if you don't track your car you probablly won't notice much difference.IHO

Quick Reply: Strut Braces