911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo break in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Turbo break in procedure?

I bought a K27HF2 from IA, but I guess I left the break in procedure at work. I sent an email to Kevin but I haven't heard back. Does anyone have the procedure they could PM or email me? Thanks.

I remember the part about cranking the engine to get oil flow out of the turbo drain. I did this but I didn't get flow, I got more of a steady drip. Is this a problem?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

I recall Kevin suggesting to me that I first crank the engine with the turbo oil feed line disconnected from the turbo oil inlet, so as to flush the line in case there's any contamination in it. The flow will likely be significant through the disconnected feed line. Then he said to connect the feed line to the turbo and disconnect the drain line and crank the engine again, monitoring the oil flow out of the turbo center section. This confirms there is oil flow through the turbo bearings. When I did this, I also had fairly limited flow as I recall -- it may not have been much more than a drip. I discussed this with Kevin and he said it was okay. I have a Garrett turbo, though, so I don't know how relevant it is to your situation. Beyond the oil flow checks, I don't recall the break in procedures for staying off boost. You'll have to check with him on that. I do remember he was adamant about being sure that the turbo has properly cooled down before shutting it off, though -- a minimum of two minutes of idle time, regardless of what kind of driving you had just been doing.

Good luck with your startup. Sounds like you're getting very close.

Rob
Old 10-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

You do not want to connect the oil inlet line to the turbocharger, prior to turning the engine over. Crank the engine over with the fuel system and sprk disabled. We want to build oil pressure and purge the "long" oil line. If it is a new engine we want to make sure that we move some oil thru the line. After you see oil passing thru the line you should have some nice engine oil pressure by now. Reconnect the lines and turn the engine over again to build pressure. If you want to make double sure, you can monitor the oil passing thru the turbo with the drip tank "off"

We do NOT want to just connect the oil line to the inlet side of the turbo and crank the engine. Air builds in the oil line and internal oil galley. The air compresses and displaces the assy lube in the turbocharger.. With the lube displaced, you risk damage to the thrust components and suck some life out of your turbocharger.

Good luck

Last edited by Kevin; 10-15-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And go with Synthetic after the break in period per Kevin. I plan to.

Quick Reply: Turbo break in procedure?