76' 930: 400 hp. Have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDD
I like the rear wing!

I saw that Lindsey racing can re-use my Fuchs and build a bigger tire. Is this a good idea? The tires weigh 20 lbs. each. Are they the best company for doing this type conversion?
I don't see any problem with the Lindseys, my wheels are 3 piece so they are 3 seperate pieces of aluminium drilled and bolted together.

As for other companies, do a search on it in Rennlist. Maybe somebody else knows who else does them.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm leaning toward buying wheels from www.kodiakracingwheels.com

A set of 17 x 9.5 and 17 x 11.5 from Kodiak should run around $2200 as opposed to Fikse's that would run around $3500 for similar sizes.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I think these will look good, the RT.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

That's what I was planning to get, with black centers.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DDD
Believe me, if I could than I would. I am pleased with the job the shop is doing, because the guy went over every single part of the car with a fine tooth comb. Turns out my car was sort of 'customized' in some areas, a couple of the belts and hoses are not standard. Jeff felt it was all done well and not a problem, but there are several non-standard items in the trunk. He really knows his stuff. He's going to custom build a block off plate out of carbon fiber, as well as a couple brackets just to secure things a little better. I'm glad Izzy pointed the shop out to me.

I'm just having sticker shock, and my wife is having MAJOR sticker shock.

She has already given me the dreaded 'why don't we plan a yearly Porsche budget' talk.

And I've already resorted to the old 'wife percentage', whereby all expenses will be reduced around 70% when talking to her.

The main thing is that I now know that I didn't make a stupid purchase, and the peace of mind alone is worth the money in the long run. I checked the car out the best I could before I bought it, but all the mechanics up in Michigan were buddies with the owner. They all said things were great, of course. Turns out that they just may have been telling the truth so far.
Is your car still at the shop? I may stop in on Jeff and check it out.

You'll definitely get your money's worth. Just don't get an oil change there!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some wheel info. Lindsey uses 6x16's for donor wheels. They will give you credit if you supply the wheels. These are the only ones that work, not sure why. You can get 315 & 335 in 15's but are very expensive. Michelin Vintage racing tires are available. Pirelli & Yokomana use to make those sizes. They are suppose to be available, but I've never seen them new. The biggest tire in 16's seems to be a 245. If you go with a 3 pc. wheel I would allow for a 1/2" or so spacer so you can move the wheel in or out if you need to. Not sure if your using spacers now. 1" fronts & 2" rears were standard, not sure what year. Just my .02.
DDD what rim sizes are you using now?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
DDD
Pro

I have the 16" Fuchs, and they are painted to match the car, which is why I was considering sending them to Lindsey, if they are going to make a good wheel for me. I want to run 17". Seems like Lindsey's wheel would be a little heavy, and also I don't know about longevity or strength when they re-use my core. Any thoughts?

I don't know the exact width of my current Fuchs, I think they are just the standard width for my 225 front and 245 back tires.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
strudel
Racer

Your probably running 7 front & 8 or 9 in the rear. The longevity & strength are not an issue as they're used for racing applications. The 3 pc wheels are lighter than the fuchs. They also make a 2 piece if you want the original look. I think those are heavier than the fuchs.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
DDD
Pro

Can Lindsey not re-use an 8"x16" Fuch? Does it have to be a 6"x16?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sprbxr
Robert was my main source for maintenance and repairs for my C2 Turbo racecar. He is very good at what he does. If you would like to call me and ask me questions I would welcome your call. I have owned several Turbo Porsches: 2 944 Turbos, 1980 930, and my 1991 C2 turbo racecar. It seems funny that people like to badmouth others and they don't even know who or what they are talking about.
All coming from a man with Lufteknic's name plastered all over his car.

DDD, If you'd like you can call Justin so he can plug how great Lufteknic is, or I can give you some numbers, including my own, of some of the bad experiences with Lufteknic. Feel free to go to anyone you'd like DDD. If you were satisfied with Jeff's work, go on ahead and use him again. I'm only advertising for him as a happy customer who used him for 2 years. I only discouraged going to Lufteknic because of my experience taking my car there, and hearing about it from others.

Last edited by Izzy; 10-26-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DDD
Can Lindsey not re-use an 8"x16" Fuch? Does it have to be a 6"x16?
One 8" x 16" Fuch is probably worth more than four 6 x 16's.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it.

Libelous statements using the anonymity of the internet. Yes, Lufteknic is plastered all over my (former) car. Why shouldn't I support a business I believe in? Robert is a straight shooter. I have known him for almost 10 years and he has never done me wrong in any way. Has he worked on your car? What did he do to it?

IZZY or nicolai or whatever your name is, why don't you put on some big boy pants, be a man and talk to Robert face-to-face if you have a problem with him. He would be more than happy to talk to you about your problems. Bashing someone on the internet is a chicken **** way to settle disputes (if you actually have one). Robert has worked too hard to have his reputation trashed in this manner.

Justin Shepard (not anonymous)
Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sprbxr
IZZY or nicolai or whatever your name is, why don't you put on some big boy pants, be a man and talk to Robert face-to-face if you have a problem with him. He would be more than happy to talk to you about your problems. Bashing someone on the internet is a chicken **** way to settle disputes (if you actually have one). Robert has worked too hard to have his reputation trashed in this manner.

Justin Shepard (not anonymous)
I post my opinion of Lufteknic and try to send DDD elsewhere, and now I'm bashing Lufteknic? My opinion is libelous now? You have absolutely no idea what went on between me and Lufteknic so why are you trying to act like I'm only here to destroy him as part of a personal vendetta?

You also seem to think I did nothing about it and now I just **** talk him? Don't tell me how to settle my problems, you need to grow up yourself and realize not everything is perfect. Robert is NOT perfect, and one negative opinion about someone does not construe 'bashing'. Don't believe me? Take your prized car to jiffy lube for service and give your honest opinion, the way you explained things - if you have anything but a positive opinion, you're obviously trashing them. Would you recommend a business you didn't believe in?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Nikolai (no last name)

If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. I guess your mother never taught you that.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 PM
strudel
Racer

DDD, They need to be 6x16's. Since these are the only wheels that work they get snapped up. They go for $100-150 ea. Your 8x16's are worth around $800-$1100 per pair depending on condition. There are at least 3-4 companies out there making the 3 pc. fuchs w/BBS halves. The only hold up is if they have any of the 6x16's.

Quick Reply: 76' 930: 400 hp. Have questions.