I need some painting advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some painting advice

I'm getting close to having my car ready for respray and was wondering if any of you can help me with some choices.
1. Do I have to remove all of the little black vinyl trim pieces like on the tail and on the mirrors. The big pieces seem to be straight forward to remove but just looking at the tail make my knees go weak. How about the big rubber tail piece?
2. How do I remove the rear side windows? It too does not look easy.
3. Have any of you had any luck without removing the front and rear windshields? It seems like a no brainer to remove them but if the cost gets too high then it becomes self defeating. How about the little rear stop light inside the car? Is it glued to the rear window?
If you can think of anything else that may become a problem, please let me know about it. I am respraying it the same color so door jambs and inside the trunk/boot will not be a prob.

ps to Don-E
I haven't forgotten your message to me about this but my car wasn't ready.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything you can remove will make the paint job come out better. NOBODY can tape it off as well as removing part. You could probably spend half a day and get 90% of it off (rubber trim, door handles, antannea, brake lights, etc.).

On the rear tail, if you look inside, you'll see a bunch of 8mm nuts. Just remove them and the washers and you'll be able to remove the ruber with a little back and forth motion. Don't yank on it to hard, because you don't want to seperat the rubber from the metal stud strip.

On the window, I would just cut the old seals out. You'll need to replace tham any way. Just have some one help you lift out the glass. The brake light on the rear window is gtaped to the glass, but you can get most of it off from the inside and unhook the wires. The biggest problem is probably the small trim that fits in the ruber window seals. It gets fragil ovr time and breaks easy.

No help here on the 1/4 windows.

On the mirrors, you can remove the glass, then remove the rubber with a few bolts IIRC. I think the mirror is held in by door panel like snaps.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 PM
slivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pop the quarter windows out just like the front and read screens, firm pressure, start at the corners. Mirrors held on with 5mm allen screws, loosen, lift and separate. (no not like a womans bra...) The anodized door trim is simply hald in place with spring clips, pull the smile and the rubber seal from the front boot. If you have a sunroof, pull the aluminum. Take all the trim off, if you're gonna go through the trouble of a respray just do it right the first time. Use foam backer in the door and trunk lid spaces to prevent un-even build in the jams and sills (a decent paint shop sells it by the roll with adhesive backing. . Don't forget to rub the entire surface down with new tack cloth, buy a gallon of wax and grease remover and use liberally, vaccum everything! Preparation is most of the battle!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Do not remove the trims from the front and rear screens. Push the screens out with the trim in place. Refit them with the trims in place. Never remove the trims.

If you don't remove something before you paint you will regret it.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am learning a lot from you guys and I appreciate all of your comments. Do any of you know if the thin vinyl trim between the top of the rear tail and the platform of the tail is a slide out gasket or is it a bolt through the hole type? The front fender welts are slide out so all you have to do is loosen the fender bolts a little to remove them. I still don't know what to do with the rear side windows. Anyone out there ever removed them? I was also considering filling in all of the old type joints between sections like the fender joint and the tail joint. That is one of the things I like about the newer cars is the smooth look. I was also considering leaving the rear bumperetts off and was wondering if anyone had a pic of this mod. I would fill the screw holes and just paint over them. I hope my ramblings aren't upsetting some of you but this is my dream car and its probably the last car I will ever be hands on with. For that reason I am trying to do the things that I would have done if I had built the car. I think that the Cayman is one of Porsche's best designs and I can see a lot of its origins in the 930. I like the way Chip Foose does his mods. He says that he likes to alter famous cars so that you know there is something different about them but you can't tell what it is. I don't want to change the awsome look of the 930 but just refine it to look a little more modern and sleek. I know I am going to catch hell from you guys but I promise my car won't look like that maroon thing on ebay that we have all seen!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM
slivan
Instructor

SIDE WINDOWS JUST POP OUT! glass, rubber seal, anodized trim all one piece.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slivan,
Where is a good place to start the pop out? Do I need to start the rubber seal up from the inside? Do I push from the inside? I have a weak stomach when it comes to putting a lot of force on something that I am not familiar with.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
slivan
Instructor

at the corners, same priciple as the front and rear screens. just rubber holding it in place.

Quick Reply: I need some painting advice