911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Protomotive Pressure Sensing Motronic ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Protomotive Pressure Sensing Motronic ECU's

This is a question for all you guys who run a Protomotive Pressure Sensing ECU in your aftermarket turbo'd cars.

What do you think of the ECU's performance?

What kind of A/F's are you guys seeing across the rev range under various load conditions?

What's the throttle response and fuel economy like?

I'm considering this upgrade for my turbo'd Carrera (3.3L with GT2 CAMs, C2T head gaskets, 964 splash valves, ARP studs, titanium retainers, turbo racing valve springs), along with their bigger (78mm) throttle body upgrade. Apparently Protomotive supply these with a fairly accurate base map based on their Stage3 turbosystems and if any fine-tuning is needed, they send you free re-cals via e-mail for you to burn and try out. That's a pretty good service!

I plan to run it with a GT35R ball-bearing turbo & a custom BlownSixDesign full bay 930 IC, running ~1.25bar.

I'm hoping it'd make a nice difference to the existing OEM Motronic AFM setup
Old 10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
911T
Instructor

Merv, What happened w/ the map ecu?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Which Motronic ECU..
Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

They are excellent. You need to be very specific about what setup you have exactly as far as cams, turbos and intercooler specifics are concerned, and it might take a couple of trial and errors to get the best mapping possible within the boundaries of non-dyno tuning. Pressure sensing is very sensitive to hardware changes.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
ProtoCab
Racer

911T, I've realised the piggy-back won't give me what I'm looking for, and that's full ignition and fuel control across the full RPM & MAP load points. It's going to be more of a band-aid solution, than a proper ignition/fuel/MAP setup and Protomotive has the best plug-in solution out there, that works with all the OEM stuff (loom, sensors etc).

I'm not really prepared to spend $4-$5k on an Autronic or Motec install, so I'll go with the Protomotive for $2k. Todd's doing me an awesome deal on his ECU and Throttle Body upgrade. Just can't pass it up and it's something I can do myself in half a day

Jean, yup, I'm going to provide Todd with exact specs of my motor. It's pretty much the exact same configuration he has for the 3.2 Carrera STAGE3, but mine has the GT2 CAMs.

I'm also planning to use a LM-1 to log A/F's across all the load points and provide Todd with the graphs, so we can send back'n'forth calibrations. He said he'd do it free of charge! Better than paying for ongoing dyno sessions
Old 10-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ProtoCab
Jean, yup, I'm going to provide Todd with exact specs of my motor. It's pretty much the exact same configuration he has for the 3.2 Carrera STAGE3, but mine has the GT2 CAMs.

I'm also planning to use a LM-1 to log A/F's across all the load points and provide Todd with the graphs, so we can send back'n'forth calibrations. He said he'd do it free of charge! Better than paying for ongoing dyno sessions
He knows the GT2 cams very well so that helps. He might need some idle calibrations to make it perfect but it will run excellent at the first try I am sure. The LM1 will help him/you a lot identifying how things are. Buy yourself a chip burner and he will be able to send you files by email.

I would go with this setup any day rather than an aftermarket EFI system, not only cheaper, but you keep the excellent knock sensors and the performance is unparalelled.

Of course, noithing beats a real engine dyno or a calibration while running the car.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
ProtoCab
Racer

Jean, my car is a pre-89 Carrera. It never came with knock sensing in that version of the Motronics, but still, I prefer Proto's solution over any other aftermarket system. Todd is also supplying a replacement bored 78mm throttle body, which already has the new TPS and IAT sensor mounted to it. All I'd need to do is plug'n'play

Todd also tells me that their Motronics callibration software is provided with the ECU. This software allows you to calibrate the maps via 3D graphs etc. Basically, the same graphical calibration capabilities as other aftermarket systems
Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 AM
speedracer1610
Track Day

i am going with the same set up on my stage3.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Pressure Sensing Motronic ECU's