Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

BLOWN SIX IC DOES NOT FIT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 11:49 PM
hailwood
Instructor

Default BLOWN SIX IC DOES NOT FIT

The BlownSix IC i bought does not fit my stock 1986 turbo.

First i have to thank TRIPSTER who helped me try to get the install done because the kit came with no instructions.

But the fact remains that the bolt on replacement IC does not fit ( would need to trim sheet metal on the hood) and has no provision for one of the factory sensors.

The product looks great and i am sure it performs well but IT DOES NOT FIT.

I would wait a while before purchasing until they get the kinks worked out, it seems like they might have missed a few things that need to be remidied.
Old 09-27-2006 | 04:40 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I just got mine in the mail today...came with a bunch of parts but no instructions either. The construction and presentation are outstanding HOWEVER...I'm a little concerned that if yours didn't fit in your 86...mine probably won't fit in my 87...I'm guessing that the engine compartments are the same?? Since I have an original factory slantnose...I'm not too keen on cutting into the metal body to make it fit. I only bought the half bay model because I'm keeping my AC unit (it actually works!!). Would you please email me and give me some OJT or other helpful hints in the installation? I'm new at this and this is my first mod...and not having any instructions and no help makes me a bit anxious....I would really appreciate it if you would please email me at fishoncj@aol.com so we can go thru this before I start in on it. I'd be happy to call you and discuss it also. chuck
Old 09-27-2006 | 07:58 AM
sand_man
Drifting

YIKES! Sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating that can be...especially *IF* you thought it would be "bolt on"! I have a B&B intercooler, so I'm not familiar witht he B6 stuff other than what I have seen in pictures.

Is this the B6 intercooler specifically made for the 930 or is it the 965 full bay one? If it's the one for a 930, are you sure that you can't get it to fit by turning the compressor "up-pipe" that connects the turbo to the IC? On my B&B, I have to to turn this pipe several degrees and the fit greatly improves. Also, did you remove the OEM IC shroud in your decklid? Just trying to think of a few things that helped me...granted I'm on a different IC.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2006 | 09:11 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Guys - This is not Rocket science here....!

Step 1: Trim the edge of your engine bay lid...it probably only required a 1/4" - we're not talking about cutting up the car here, angle grinder with a few quick passes and then coat the metal with paint that your trimmed with paint for rust protection...something like so - no biggie:

Then there are no sensors in the intercooler!!!...but you have to drill and tap probably pipe thread and connect the one hose...and you can do it something sexxy like an Eals fitting..similar to:

My IC was designed by me it is not a Blown 6 unit, but its not that hard.

Yasin
Old 09-27-2006 | 09:49 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Take some pictures, hailwood...
Old 09-27-2006 | 10:20 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Here's athread on Pelican regarding B6 installations...most of these are the 965 style:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=304446
Old 09-27-2006 | 10:30 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Just drop the nose foward with the studs and sleeves. You can nose the unit several inches by doing this.
Old 09-27-2006 | 02:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I'd have to try installing one myself to see, but having to cut the decklid is a little above bolt on. I'm sure they could have designed it to clear and bolt on better/easier.

I'm also surprised at the number of shpping "incidents.

Unless you make your own fittings, after buying what's needed and the turbo to I/C hose, this bad boy adds up.
Old 09-27-2006 | 03:20 PM
Falk930
Instructor

uups,
nothing against BS or their products in general,
but for sure I wont cut something on my
very original 87 to make a
"plug and play" IC fit.
If "modifications" are needed,
the producer has to inform the client correctly.

I develop automtive parts by myself,
stainless steel and aluminium mostly.

When a "frame" where the part should fit
inside is given, we hardly try not to let the
client cut anything on the car.

A 930 lid is what it is and where it is.
Thats one part of the "frame"
where the IC need to fit.

If there isnt any good reason for
the cutting modification,
the product was developed or produced badly.
No way around for me.

I hope the IC performs better then it fits?

keep us informed

Falk
Old 09-27-2006 | 05:40 PM
hailwood
Instructor

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...8-83/1-7-6.JPG

SLOWNRUSTY:

got to this schematic on pelican. #13 is the sensor that there is no provision for in the B6 IC unit.

It has to go someplace because you remove the part that it mounts into. There is a provision for #14 and the brass nipple for the vacum line.

I agree with the bolt on should not have to cut anythin part. that is actually why i wanted this IC. there are others but i do not want to cut part of the car, just like if i do an exhaust on the car i will retain the single outlet and not dual.

the product looks great but there is very little support from the manufacturer, it is all coming from here.

you are a great bunch.
Old 09-27-2006 | 05:51 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by hailwood
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...8-83/1-7-6.JPG

SLOWNRUSTY:

got to this schematic on pelican. #13 is the sensor that there is no provision for in the B6 IC unit.

It has to go someplace because you remove the part that it mounts into. There is a provision for #14 and the brass nipple for the vacum line.

I agree with the bolt on should not have to cut anythin part. that is actually why i wanted this IC. there are others but i do not want to cut part of the car, just like if i do an exhaust on the car i will retain the single outlet and not dual.

the product looks great but there is very little support from the manufacturer, it is all coming from here.

you are a great bunch.
That is the overboost sensor. If you have the OEM BOV housing, this threads into that housing...not the intercooler. Was the intercooler that you removed original? Or was it it a long-neck variety such as Kokeln. If the intercooler that you removed was, say, a Kokeln, you no longer have the large BOV housing...this switch would have been threaded into the IC.
Old 09-27-2006 | 05:53 PM
sand_man
Drifting

So then if the B6 is a long-neck IC, it should a spot for the switch...as well as the sensor for the boost gauge. Weird!
Old 09-27-2006 | 06:12 PM
hailwood
Instructor

so do i not need that sensor??? #13

it seems like it should be hooked up to something. see how this would be easier if there were instructions. they did actually send me some today but it is all text, so i am not sure what all of these parts are calle, there should be some pictures.

what is the piece that sensor screws into called?
Old 09-27-2006 | 06:25 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Ok, the sensor you are talking about is not needed for the engine to run. You can just connect the wire that ran to it an earth and the car will run.
However I wouldn't do this as it is a safety feature that could save you blowing up your engine. The Kokeln IC has a thread in it for this switch/sensor. As suggested, is there anything else that can be drilled and tapped ?

Oh, the part you asked what it was called is the "recirculation assembly". When you fit a long neck IC this part gets removed which is great because it is so heavy.
Old 09-27-2006 | 06:47 PM
Tripster
Instructor

hailwood,
The picture I sent you shows where that sensor goes, and unless blownsix left it out by mistake it is there. Take a look at the picture I sent you again and see if you have the same amount of openings for fittings as the picture. As a matter of fact I will pull mine off tonight and take a picture of it as everything is installed, maybe you are looking over something. Look for my post tonight.

Quick Reply: BLOWN SIX IC DOES NOT FIT