911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

WEVO Short shift kit install in 1986 930

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:53 AM
hailwood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEVO Short shift kit install in 1986 930

am i retarded because it just took me 3.5 hours to install the WEVO billet short shift kit?

it seemed like to do it right you had to take a lot of stuff out of the car like the seats, ebrake assembly, center console and pull up a lot of the carpet.

just checking because it seemed like there was really no other way to do it.

also, when i ordered the kit from pelican it suggested some really expensive little shift linkage thingamabob, where does that go, it looks like it goes near the tranny. i hope to god i don't have to take the shift kit out!!!!

is this PSJ hard to change?????
Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have only needed to remove the center console (if you had one), and pull the carpet back to get to the shift housing. No reason to bother the ebrake assembly. Having the seat out makes it easier, but not necessary.
The PSJ coupler replaces the stock coupler between the trans and shift rod. If you pull up the carpet at the back of the tunnel you'll find a plate with 4 screws. Remove the plate and that will give you access to the coupler. I think the instructions say put the shifter in 3rd before disconnecting. Make sure you follow the instructions about adjusting the coupler or it won't shift right. You may need to make minor adjustments a few times to get it right. You don't need to remove the shifter. Should take about 1/2hr. The shifter & coupler will make a vast improvement over stock.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned a trick installing mine. After you have everything installed, when you're fine tuning the coupler position, snug the coupler bolt, put the shifter in first gear, put your fingers on the spring loaded stops on each side of the shifter body, then move the shifter side to side. If each stop moves the same amount, you're centered, if one moves more than the other, loosen the coupler bolt, adjust slightly, then check again, until they move the same.

Win

Quick Reply: WEVO Short shift kit install in 1986 930