DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED WITH SENSIBLE MODS

I am looking at removing engine and gearbox to;

1. Fix stuffed synchros
2. Fit better clutch kit
3. Improve performance.

What I would like to know is or does someone have a proven setup( I'm sure there are hundreds of you ) that will produce around 450fwhp with CIS. I really only want to do external mods, maybe a cam change but that's it internally. I would like it to run smooth and be ultra reliable with 1.0bar. Any info such as cams etc would be greatly appreciated. The engine is in very good condition with only 95,000kms on the clock.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop? I think up to 400fwbhp you can get away with bolt on mods, like the imagine auto stage 2 for instance which you could fit yourself and quite frankly is unbelievably cheap for 400bhp, but above that there is more involved, porting, fuelling, rod and bolt strength etc which unless your very handy with your spanners and have lots of spare time you are going to struggle to do it at home. However there are plenty of fellas on here who love doing all the work themselves and thrive on it. Why not go for the IA Stage 2 and see how you get on with 400bhp and if that isn't enough then make your next step a full EFI build, Motec are from down under and they are arguably the best management system so that's a bonus. Be realistic with your goals and make the right choices, and good luck
Old 09-05-2006, 05:28 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks JBL,

Yes, will be doing most of the work myself. Am fairly mechanically minded, have rebuilt motors before, done clutches and that sort of thing. As for spare time, well.... . I would consider doing the heads while it's out, cost being the determining factor. I've have owned a close to 400HP 951 and that thing pulled hard, but I'd like more in this car, it's a 930 after all.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Both of these threads are good reads if your sticking with CIS, i'm still unsure how to do a link so you'll have to copy and paste them into the search, the guy's on there list what mods they have and what power they are putting out etc, should be a good bench mark, in the thread "Can you go above 460BHP with CIS?" Ninemeister (Colin) is talking about my car, i'm at/above the limit of CIS and if i could go back i would have just gone EFI straight away, i'm completely used to (almost bored of) the power in my car now and would love (need) more power, 600+bhp with a flat AFR, reliable and predictable power with infinate tuneablity is just the way forward IMHO. This has been said MANY times but you have to pay to play

Dyno - 447 RWHP on CIS

Can you go above 460BHP with CIS?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

Are you asking about what mods to do?? If so, I think if you do the following mods, you will be at the limit of the CIS system... You should be close to the 400 to 450 Hp goal that you have set.
1) a good header system
2) a new turbo, one made to work with a CIS motor
3) a good I/C, such as Koklyn, etc
4) a good exhaust system after the turbo muffler or dump tube...
5) fuel head mod
6) electronic boost controller, to help hold W/G closed until full boost is realized
7) maybe a different ignition system ( i had the old electromotive HPV-1)
8) possibly camshafts
9) limit 1 bar max boost...never any more

With those above mods you will be at the limit of the CIS system and your stock rod bolts. The car will be loads of fun to drive and will be much faster than a stock 930. Now by saying that, I need to say this... If you track the car, go to DE events, or spend any good amount of time in the boost, your stock rod bolts will not be upto the task. You will be living on borrowed time. They may not fail at first, but over time they may, and IMHO, not worth the gamble.
The problem with CIS with these mods and at that level, is it's inability to keep good A/F levels. It only takes a second or two to melt a piston. If you keep it 1 bar or under, you will have fun and still be in the safe limits. The rod bolts are what scares me. It doesn't cost alot of money for upgraded bolts, but you do have to take the motor down to almost nothing to replace them. Then you get into the dilemma.....since I am here, should I replace this and that?
As far as the ignition, I am sure the stock ignition is fine for CIS. I had a distributor go bad, so instead of spending money on a new one, I went with the Electromotive HPV-1. It is not a full stand alone system, but mearly a coil pack that replaces your stock distributor. It has a rev limiter, timing adjust, and actually made a marked improvment in the seat of the pants feal of the car. You could even hear the difference in the exhaust. I have heard several peiople have had many problems with the Tec-3 stuff, so, I will NOT be going that route with my rebuild, but I had no problems with the HPV-1.
I hope this helps. If you do all of these mods, you will have fun, but as the old saying goes......Boost is addictive!!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, that is approx 383 HP at the wheels.

Having been down this road and experiencing the pains first hand , this would be my 'not opening the engine' list:

964 or SC cams
Kokeln or 965 IC
IA fuel head
Adjsutable WUR to even out the AFR - Brian Leask is THE MAN for this
K27 HF turbo
B&B or GHL 'headers' is a MUST
*A thorough check that everything is operating properly! 930s can go big dollar kablooie in a BIG HURRY.

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED WITH SENSIBLE MODS