Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

thinking about 88' or 89' 930 Slant nose

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

John has the nicest slant nose I've seen (from pics) and its an '89 which means its that much rarer and has the nice G50/50 transaxle, we're talking a car that was $105K in 1989!

Uncle you've got some great advice and really if your heart is set on buying a 930 go for it. eBay has some deals and so does Autotrader. I looked for a few years before I found the one I was really looking for ('89 in Guards Red), I paid $36K for it and have never looked back. Keep looking the right one will come along. It helps to know how to spin a wrench or two when owning these cars or have deep pockets, the price of a full engine rebuild is more than your Matrix brand new!

If you get lucky you might end up with one that has had a full engine and tranny rebuild and all the go fast goodies for under $45K.

Good luck

Cousin Yasin
Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my 87 cab in February...and contrary to what some of the guys here have said...I'm leaving my factory slant...all stock. I'm sure I'd like to add some horses here and there, but truthfully, it's got great performance as it is....and from a personal perspective, I like the four speed because of the long gears. Good luck in your quest....I have a 996 also, and I find that I'm driving the 930 more in spite of the fact everyone says to keep the mileage down...I have 48K miles on it now...and I'm driving it, not parking it so that I can sell it later with low mileage. If you got it...flaunt it. Chuck
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I have an '89 Turbo Cabriolet Flachbau (Slant Nose) and, to this day, I see no Porsche that looks better nor has more individual personality.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:31 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I WANT ONE TOO! BWHAAAAAAAAA.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
jay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '89 factory slantnose cab with 8600 miles on it and a '79 930. Both stock. I have been around Porsche's my whole life and I am starting a collection of the different generation 930 turbos. Whatever 930 you decide on (4 speed or 5) you will not find a car that will give you more pleasure as a 930 will. Prices for good original ones are starting to climb as many have been crashed, raced, heavily modified etc.

Good luck in your quest,

Sloane
Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 AM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Uncle you've got some great advice and really if your heart is set on buying a 930 go for it. eBay has some deals and so does Autotrader. I looked for a few years before I found the one I was really looking for ('89 in Guards Red), I paid $36K for it and have never looked back. Keep looking the right one will come along.

Good luck

Cousin Yasin
Here's what the scene looks like last night during our friends gathering: (we are all sober)

Friend= Hey dude, are you okay? looks like you just lost your dog...

Me = I lost more than that....I just gave up on my dream car......

Friend = You are crazy! You've been talking about it for quite sometime now and then you're just going to give just like that...don't let the money or required being handy stop you from reaching it. let those 2 things motivate you....

Me = Yah, I would wait probably a year or two to save up, learned more about it, so at least everytime i open up my garage, I would see my dream car and scratch my head and say...I just can't believe that I got it

then i got home logged in to this forum and the advice and to get more knowledge is just keep on coming and the best part is, the qoute from Yasin...."Follow your heart ......

Thank you guys! As soon as I get my 930 Guard Red stock, I will mos definitely try go to one of the runs and meet you guy's there......

and to A930rocket....I feel you dude! I want one too....ahahahahaha!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Well my friend I am glad I could help flatten out the emotional hills and valleys that you are going through. I think and all of us on this forum can relate.

Purchasing a car like this is really an exciting time, few people are so blessed to (as you said) "open up the garage door and see your dream car sitting there".

If you had to keep giving yourself hypothetical situations in regards to "what should I do if this broke" -or- " how much might this be if that broke" then we would never buy a 911 turbo! For the same money say $35K you could buy yourself a nicely loaded Toyota Avalon....I know which one I would rather own!!

Buy the best one you can afford, the one that receives the cleanest bill of health from a PPI, drive it and enjoy it - and NEVER look back. In the mean time keep a small stash set-aside for repairs, maintenace or go fast parts. You are very lucky to be in this position and even luckier that your wife is supportive.

I had about 10 of my closest friends over last night and we hung out in my garage until after 1am talking cars (I'm the only Porsche owner, even though they all own very nice and ultra quick cars) and the 930 was the focus of the evening's conversation. Great times.

Wishing ya the best!
Yasin
Old 09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

For the most part if well maintained you should hve trouble free ownership from a 930, however a great deal of them has been driven at 10/10 frequently because of the addictive nature of the boost hit. My 930 has been a trouble free car but I victim to the dark side and kept wanting more from my 50 year old chassis design and 40 year old engine design that is a stunning performer by today's standards even in its stock form. Like most on this forum I WANTED MORE, that is where the expense creeps in, one day I will itemize the true cost of the upgrades installed, you will either cry or laugh like a mad Hyena in disbelief.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
unklekraker
Racer

cant wait schnele...i want to see it, send the pix and list i might end up crying out of jealousy...hahahahahahaha!

yasin, thanks! u guys are like a therapist during this time....

Quick Reply: thinking about 88' or 89' 930 Slant nose