911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Bought a LM-1 / Question about the bong position

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Tripster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a LM-1 / Question about the bong position

For you guys giving me a hard time about mu Gunson, I NOW HAVE A LM-1, I picked it up today at the local Ricer Shop.
The question now is on the B&B headers, the bong is right before and pretty close to the Turbo, can I use that bong or do I have to tap in somewhere else?
I was told that the LM-1 had to be installed after the Turbo, not before.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Install the sensor after the turbine and before the muffler.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:12 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripster
For you guys giving me a hard time about mu Gunson, I NOW HAVE A LM-1, I picked it up today at the local Ricer Shop.
The question now is on the B&B headers, the bong is right before and pretty close to the Turbo, can I use that bong or do I have to tap in somewhere else?
I was told that the LM-1 had to be installed after the Turbo, not before.
I prefer a water "bong"...if all else fails, an old Pabst Blue Ribbon beer can will make a decent "bong" when I need to fire up some weed in a pinch.
As for the BUNG, it's best if you can place it on the exhaust side of the turbo...like 4" to 6" downstream (before the muffler).
Old 08-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Tripster
Instructor

Default LM-1

BUNG>BUNG>BUNG,,,,,,,,,got it.
Now, I don't have 6" after the turbo, my muffler is very close. Take a look and please dont tell me I have another issue, I need a break. I really need to install the bad boy and see this glowing go AWAY.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can install it between 9 and 3 oclock, with vertical being best. I'd jut place it right in the center.

You may want to install the copper heat sheild to protect it from the turbo. I'm going to add one to mine.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote before about the location of the wideband probe and have decided on the spot between the muf and the turbo. What I need to know now is what is the best way to power this thing up. The manual describes it pretty well but it is not car specific. What have you guys done, how and does it work well? Also, what about the wire lead going to the probe? Does the extreme heat affect it? What is the consensus on leaving it in full time or only during tuning sessions? I feel like the little boy asking why the sky is blue, but there is a lot of experince on this site and I value your opinions.
Rudy
Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Mine is powered by a switched source at the panel located in the engine compartment. I always have it hooked up and displaying values. Mine is mounted between the muffler and they turbo at the 12 o'clock position - this is about 3" from the turbo. The lead loops up into the engine compartment, then over the top of the turbo (sheet metal is in between) to the unit controller. I also have mine feeding info to my EFI, but in an open loop.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The space you have in the pictured muffler assembly won't be an issue. Just install it anywhere. When looking for a circuit, be aware that the lambda heater can require as much as 7amps of current.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As hot as it gets back there, I slipped a piece of Aeroquip heat prevention hose over the wire and O2 sensor just to help prevent problems.

Quick Reply: Bought a LM-1 / Question about the bong position