911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EFI/coil over/big reds/ EVO 2 first thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI/coil over/big reds/ EVO 2 first thoughts

As some of you may know I have had a 79 930 for about 3 years now. I had a really bad hot start problem that I could not get fixed so I decided to get Imagine Auto’s EFI kit. I dropped off the car last year and the project grew and grew. I picked the car up last week. The following are my thoughts on everything that I had done.

EFI

First off, this car is fast, I mean super fast. It put 400 rwhp on .6 bar. I am not sure what it is doing at 1 bar (to be honest haven’t turned it up to 1 bar yet). The most impressive thing other than the pure speed is the car’s acceleration off boost. With CIS I would have to get into the boost to pass anyone in four gear. The guys at IA did a great job tuning the car that I am getting the maximum power all the time. I just feather the gas and I am moving, and god help me if I get into boost. The car starts hot and cold every time. I am super happy with the conversion.

Coilovers

To tell the truth I was looking forward to the coilovers just as much as the EFI. I did not like the stock suspension, got no confidence from it. So far the Coilovers are great. The car is much lower to the ground and seems to take bumps much better. The car has an overall better feel.

Big reds

This is where the project started to get out of hand (in a good way). I decided to make the car into more of a track car than a streetcar. The petal has a much different feel now. Much more play than the rock hard petal that I had before. At this time I am not sure if I like it or not. I have not had the car on the track so I can’t tell if the car is stopping faster.

Sparco EVO 2

Man I LOVE these seats!!! I am 6’5” and around 245 and I fit great into them. On the 8 hour trip from KC to Chicago my back did not even start to hurt. For a racing seat I don’t think there is much better. I do need to lower the driver seat about 4 inches before I can get in with a helmet (my head is hitting the roof now). So if anyone knows of a shop in Chicago that could help me out I would appreciate it.

Over all the car is feels much better. It was totally worth the wait. I can’t say enough about all the hard work that the guys at IA put into the car. They made sure that it was done right, which makes me a super happy costumer. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
scott930Flames.pdf (135.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
cardsrule
Pro

I forgot to talk about the FABSPEED single muffler. My favorite thing about the car is its sound; it’s the soul as far as I am concerned. I am not super jazzed about it now. My old crappy Monty muffler had a much better sound than the FABSPEED. The FS is much quieter than my old muffler. It has some nice pops but they are not as frequent as the old muffler. It is more like claps of thunder and pops. Inside the car is very quite (for a 930). I would say if you are looking for a quite muffler, go with the FABSPEED. It looks really good as well. Just my .02 cents
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cardsrule
I forgot to talk about the FABSPEED single muffler. My favorite thing about the car is its sound; it’s the soul as far as I am concerned. I am not super jazzed about it now. My old crappy Monty muffler had a much better sound than the FABSPEED. The FS is much quieter than my old muffler. It has some nice pops but they are not as frequent as the old muffler. It is more like claps of thunder and pops. Inside the car is very quite (for a 930). I would say if you are looking for a quite muffler, go with the FABSPEED. It looks really good as well. Just my .02 cents

so ugh do you like the FS or not??
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
cardsrule
Pro

its ok, i wish it was a little louder.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
AZ930
Instructor

scott, check your PMs
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I second the Sparco Evo 2 seats as well. I have them in my 930 and they are very comfortable and supportive.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott,

I can make that thing really crackle. I pulled most of that out in the program. If you want it I can put it back in.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:29 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by cardsrule
its ok, i wish it was a little louder.
get a straight pipe then, they tend to be a bit loud
Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 PM
cardsrule
Pro

after taking a drive up lake shore last night my thinking on the fabspeed has changed a little. it is growing on me.

I have a zork tube on my desk. I will try it in a few weeks.

Stephen, i am super happy how you tuned the car, i wouldn't change anything.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Yep, the staright pipe is loud, and if backfiring and burbling on decel is your thing...you will love the zork! I'm still rocking mine...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
cardsrule
Pro

yep i miss the days when i use to set off car alarms I will post some pix of the car after this weekend (putting in a carpet kit and door panels to finish off the car)
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Try Midwest Performance Cars on Lake Street in Chicago. They installed the recaros and rollbar in my 930 and can get your seat where you would like it. Good guys too.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Rob,

Thanks, i will call them tomorrow.

Shoot me an email if you ever go on a drive. I am looking to find some fun roads in the area.

smcilvain@marketingwerks.com
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I'll drop you a note this morning so that ypou have my contact info. I would LOVE to go for a ride in your car. Very interested to see what the difference is like with the EFI conversion. Short of going to 3.4L I have just about everything you can do with CIS and I love the car (but hate the off boost driveability).

Real good guys at Midwest. I am actually picking up my turbo from them today.

Quick Reply: EFI/coil over/big reds/ EVO 2 first thoughts