Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

while rebuilding eng.....several questions I have??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don, There is much factual information about the earlier JE castings which required larger clearance resulting in piston slap especially when cold. The casting that is used is a generic casting shared with other platforms. It wasn't until very recently (this year I think) that a new casting was created which was better suited to the Porsche engine. In the racing engines I've seen, the JE pistons require replacement annually where a Mahle piston will go 3 race seasons. I don't know about the new castings yet.

The Mahle cylinders are tapered where a remanufactured cylinder has a straight bore. This combined with the better alloy the Mahle pistons are made from help the longevity.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough.

I might not be a good example as I do not use factory cylinders.

I know of a couple race teams that use JE's with acceptable (positive) results. Personally, I've found them very easy to work with and the quality I have expereinced is spot on. This is in the past year and a half. I know they have improved the design from the past - I guess they have a challenge to re-gain the confidence of the general pucblic. Personally, based on my experience, I would recommend the JE's.

These forums are great for information, but one of my pet peeves is information that is based on second-hand comments or outdated. No offense meant in my earlier comments.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for JE pistons, my research revealed NOT to use their "off the shelf" pistons. In other words, have the cylinders in hand, have them carefully measured, and THEN order the pistons to fit...this will usually be a custom order. I'm using the Supertec cylinders, and Henry ordered my JE pistons to specifically fit them. No slap...that I can hear.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly. I'm not saying that you cannot use JE pistons, you only need to recognize the environment you are working with and ensure all the parts fit together properly. Personally I like the Mahles because it is less risky and historically they last much longer than the JEs, however, I'm making a trade off on the compression ratio of about .8:1
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 AM
sand_man
Drifting

FWIW: if I had the $$$$$ I would have bought Mahles...no questions! No matter how I crunched the numbers, I just couldn't justify them. Yeah, yeah...I know, it costs twice as much to "do it right" the second time, but I think I've found a reasonable compromise. So far so good.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been reading this comments and I have one only. Domestic made Pistons are never chosen because they are better. They are chosen because they are cheaper.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by m42racer
I have been reading this comments and I have one only. Domestic made Pistons are never chosen because they are better. They are chosen because they are cheaper.
I've been holding my breath waiting for you to join this thread, Simon! Thanks for not spanking too hard! I'd agree...the domestics were cheaper and that did incluence my descision. When faced with a total rebuild, it's astounding how quickly the repairs add up. Then there are the "while you're in theres"...then the "upgrades". I looked for ways to get the engine that I wanted while not sacrificing too much on the quality. I'm a man of limited resources, so I ran the $$$$ numbers over and over. The JEs are still quality pistons. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:47 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

BTW, thanks for the earlier comments Geoffrey- really interesting and good information.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I chose the $3,400 3.4 (YIKES!) Mahles for my infamous rebuild -
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRS
FWIW, I chose the $3,400 3.4 (YIKES!) Mahles for my infamous rebuild -
Me too, and I swallowed the bit about my set being one of only four sets coming over from Germany for such and such period of time.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes. Who said that, EBS?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRS
Yikes. Who said that, EBS?
If you're asking me, it was Brumos parts dept.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Thanks for all of the replies. Here is what i have decided to do... Send the case away and have it boattailed, maybe shufflepinned, have the linebore checked, etc.
I will be going with LN Engineering's Nickies...cyl's with JE pistons..probably 8 to 1 CR. I will be going 3.4L instead of 3.3... Thermale coatings on the pistons, etc.

Head work to consist of twin plugging, p&p, opening up the intake ports to accept the 3.2 intake, possibly new springs, etc.

cams: GT-2 EVO

headers, Marco's set, equal length, with v band clamps, etc

I am not sure yet on engine management...several good players, that cost way less than Motec...

Custom full width I/C with core from Bell....

Full ARP hardware throughout the whole engine.

I am thinking with this combo...I should be between 550 to 600 HP....with time on the dyno for tuning. So is this an unrealistic goal for the HP?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Being that you're in GA, I hope you've been talking to DonE. He's been on this adventure - a few times. I think he's finally got the magic set-up...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:36 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choices. The power levels are within the capabilities for the parts listed, with a question mark regarding the Cams. Not sure what this Cam will do. Others here may know. I think this Cam is on the short side for the upper power levels you may be looking for. You may have to run higher boost levels than you think to achieve the numbers you are looking for with these Cams.

It is all about the headwork and Cams. There are other Cam choices, with good Head work that are well proven which will net you the performance you are looking for. These combinations will allow you to run at lower boost levels to make the same power. Always a good thing.

As for the EFI, Jeff brings up a good point. Don is in your area and he has just finished an EFI system. I understand he has a few niggly little issues to take care of, but I am sure they are been addressed, as I know who is helping him. When it comes to EFI, it all comes down to support. You will need it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: while rebuilding eng.....several questions I have??