Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Most Embarrasing Moment With My 930..YET..!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Most Embarrasing Moment With My 930..YET..!

Gang - So yesterday was a simply beautiful day here in Colorado Springs, and one of my good friends who just bought a 4000mile 50th Anniversary 'Vette convinced me to go a pretty big car show to show both our cars.

So I (reluctantly) agree (as I was busy)....to go to the show but I had a great time, looking at the beautiful cars and the very fine ladies. Then afterwards on the way home...we decide that we were going to go for a run from a about 30mp/h....

Well his 'Vette was pretty dead even with me until about 50-60mp/h and then I started pulling away from him....as I started pulling away from the 'Vette, my 930 just flat died and came to a stop at pretty much one of the busiest intersections you can imagine....I kept cranking and cranking and nothing!

This intersection was 4lanes wide, so picture an extremely busy intersection in your home town \ city and your car is plain dead in the center of it. It was actually pretty scary as cars were coming up on me very fast before they realized that I had my 4 ways on and then they were people flying past me on all sides. I actually thought at some moments that I was going to get rear ended by someone not paying attention or on the cell phone.

It was so busy that my friend in 'Vette had no where to pull over and help me push the car. And of course every idiot in a lowered Civic or Sunfire with a fart can drove by and were laughing at me and pointing. Humiliation at its finest!

Eventually two great guys came to help me - big thanks to them! One guy was in a brand new black Boxster S (he had seen my car in the show as I found out later) and he pulled in behind me in the intersection and put his 4 ways on as a shield for uncoming traffic. The other guy was in a mini van and jumped out (with his family still in the mini van) and he came over to help me and he said to me "Someone is going to kill you and rear end you if we do not get you off this road", so they both pushed me out of the busy intersection and luckily down a side street.

I called AAA and by this time my buddy in 'Vette had joined me and we waited for the flat bed tow truck....I tried starting the car again and it started and immediately died....weird...! I did some checking - relays - overboost relay,,fuel pumps working and low and behold I found out that my IC hose had popped off!! LOL...I breathed a sigh of relief....I connected it and tightened it and BINGO...we have lift off Houston.

Talk about an intense time!
Yasin
Old 07-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's scary. Amazing that it was something you could fix on the spot. I've been on the road side as well with a dead ignition box. No fun, and yes, it is embarrassing.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

If ever you get stuck somewhere dangerous you could actually put the car in 1st or reverse with the clutch down, constantly crank the car and lift the clutch to move the car via the starter. Once the car starts to move you can probably let the clutch right up.
I know it's not good for your battery or the starter but if it could make you safer WTH.

Glad you are OK.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh, these 930s. Don't we just love 'em?!

I have been in a similar situation. Scary, dangerous and the oh, so wrong kind of attention. Glad you got it fixed. Double glad nobody got hurt.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My most embarrassing moment was back in the day when the original 3LDZ turbo oil seals finally went bad! Where I work we park in a parking garage. You should have seen the smoke! Looked a f_cking bug fogger! I just wanted to die! Smoked the whole way home...just billowing out! Everyone was pointing and laughing! GAD!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 PM
NiATE
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

It happened to me once as well a few days after I had knee surgery. I was astonished how many people would take the time to honk and swear at me, but none would stop and help. Fortunately my wonderful wife was following (as the car was very much in suspect) and bailed me out. Very scary. Glad you fared well!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Think of the up side of all of this. Suppose you were in a new "Computer" controlled car and it just died. There is no need to raise the engine cover because you could not do anything anyway. I like the part about the combuston engine where you look for fuel, air, and spark. If you don't have one of these then you know what to do. If it is a computer controlled car then you don't have a clue. Thank God you had some real people in the traffic that you were in and they helped you get out of the hell you were in.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:06 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree guys I was lucky that I had those two guys come to my assistance pretty quickly..otherwise who knows I might not be typing this right now!!!!...

My buddy with the 'Vette came over today to see how I was doing and he said "Yasin...you should have seen your face in the middle of that intersection"...I can only imagine!

I agree, if all these iditos would stop and helps instead of pointing and laughing, it would have made the situation a little easier to swallow.

Thanks for all your comments!

Yasin
Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 AM
My87Targa
Racer

good to hear everything ended up ok
Old 07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
SoFast
Racer

So, I have to ask. Did you get the stuff you had to get done that day? LOL I had an incident in my 1970 GTX. The car was running perfectly and just died right in the middle of a busy Highway. I tried to get over, but by the time traffic opened, my car slowed too much to get over to the right. I can certainly understand.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What a story! It's good that among all of the jerks on the road there are still some decent people out there. I'm glad you "escaped unscathed"!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:01 PM
InC
Instructor

Sounds like most of us have been through scenarios like that! So have I.. Well is that part of the character factor? hahaa well at least they are not as tempermental as the Ferraris I know...
Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

I guess I need to quit cussing mini van drivers! They might come in handy someday.

Reminds me of a stop light drag race in the old days. Slammed second gear with a worn out shifter, only to have it go into second and fourth. After the car skidded to a stop 30 feet past the intersection, I had to beat the mangled linkage back to neutral to move the car, working around red hot headers and cars driving around my feet dangling out to the side.

I feel your pain.

Win
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are scaring me. Part of me wants to get a lightly modded 930 someday, but the reliability issues are a concern.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

If the car is built correctly you have no reason to worry.

Christian

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
You guys are scaring me. Part of me wants to get a lightly modded 930 someday, but the reliability issues are a concern.

Quick Reply: Most Embarrasing Moment With My 930..YET..!